GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a help with tie down points on a 2003 Goldwing. I have a 5x8 V-nose trailer setup for motorcycles and I'm picking up my "new to me" wing this saturday. I have many years of trailering bikes. I just haven't done a wing before. I have many many different style of ratcheting tie downs. Just wondering where to put the tie downs on the front? Around the fork sliders (it has a Traxxion forkbrace). Ideas and pics would be a great help.

Thanks, GWbob

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Start with the bike on the side stand. I strap the front wheel to the front support on the trailer for front to rear support. I use two dog bone straps with ratchet straps from the lower triple tree tied to the floor for side to side and forward support. Do not pinch wires, cables, or brake hoses with the dog bone straps. At the rear I remove the side covers and use two dog bone straps around the main frame and two ratchet straps tied to the floor pulling forward. Finally, I tie two straps around the rear wheel (on the floor) and tie it to prevent it from sliding side to side. Don't ratchet the suspension down too far, just enough to hold it snug.
Good Luck

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I always remove the seat and put 4 straps around the frame.

I also use straps on triple tree, but not on the fork itself.

Use 18" from each side of the front tire for your tie down point.

·
Registered
721 Posts
You might look in the owners manual, it tells you how to and where the tie points are...Just my 2 cents worth

·
Registered
407 Posts
get a "Canyon Dancer"

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
For those forced to trailer on an open trailer. When you tow with the side covers off. Do you have any concern about water getting in if you tow through rain?

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
:agree: That's a nice clear illustration at that link. :yes1:

I just happened to get my new Gold Book in the mail yesterday after glancing at this thread. In the road references section in the back, p. 11-10, they have a two page spread titled "How to Tie Down Most Gold Wings" that specifies the back tie down going onto the the passenger grab handles. There's even an intro blurb that says "though he demonstrates using a GL1500, the same system applies to most Gold Wings."

That's VERY shoddy and disappointing, GWRRA. It's not until you get to the next page, which just happens to be a single page on the back of that and therefore the book's left & easily skimmed past side, that it shows you a GL1800-specific method with the warning to NOT tie on to the passenger handles. BTW, it's an abbreviated recap of the same method in the link.

I wonder how many folks have learned or will learn the hard way thanks to the "helpful" reference that those handles aren't in play.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I have towed a few times, open trailer, and have had not problem.

(seat off, side panels off). I don't like it, but it iswhat it is.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Yeah, I hear ya. I need to trailer mine from Phoenix to NY and back this year on an open trailer and If I don't hit rain sometime in 6,000 miles I'll be amazed.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Everyone, Thanks for the helpful info. I got the bike home without a problem. Now I just have to wait for warm temps and for the snow to be GONE!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts