GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed yesterday while riding that the throttle cable is sticking. Is there a way to lubricate the cables? Or is this a sign of something else happening? The bike only has 22K on it and I am quite surprised that this happened after 1 year.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Warranty. I would take it to a dealer and have them fix/replace it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Do you have aftermarket grips? If so, check where the grips meet the handle bar control with the kill switch on top. I had the same problem with Kury grips and had to create a larger gap to keep the grip from dragging. That control box will move a little left if you loosen the screws and move it.

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
rgw5944 pointed out one source of stiff cable function. The immer grip sleeve getting dry is another, remove the counter weight and force some tefelon/silicone lube in there. The one you have to rule-out is a bind in the cable where it crosses behind the left fork and enters over the upper center cowl; that is where the major adjuster is. A kink there will eventually ruin the cable and its a major PIA to replace the cables.

Digger posted a nice "how to" in that part of our forum regarding how to lube the cables. There is more than one way to skin that cat.

prs

S

·
0 Posts
You can lube the throttle sleeve by using a drill and 1/16" bit to drill through the grip and the outer sleeve. Pick a spot centered in the grip so oil will cover the maximum surface area. Then just use an oil can and squirt some atf into the hole. The rubber on the grip will actually seal the hole back up so once you wipe it clean you won't notice.
Grease may be a bit to viscous, even the low temp but atf stays pretty loose.

I do mine every 4-5 years so the stuff stays put pretty well.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stock grips

Do you have aftermarket grips? If so, check where the grips meet the handle bar control with the kill switch on top. I had the same problem with Kury grips and had to create a larger gap to keep the grip from dragging. That control box will move a little left if you loosen the screws and move it.
I still have the stock grip with grip puppies. Since it is still under warranty, I think the dealer will get an opportunity to fix the problem. Thank you for the idea.

·
Registered
20,954 Posts
You can lube the throttle sleeve by using a drill and 1/16" bit to drill through the grip and the outer sleeve. Pick a spot centered in the grip so oil will cover the maximum surface area. Then just use an oil can and squirt some atf into the hole. The rubber on the grip will actually seal the hole back up so once you wipe it clean you won't notice.

or u could just remove the 2 screws that hold the cluster together, lay the bike on right side and spray some lube under the sleeve until it runs out the other end of the sleeve, i would spray something like carb cleaner in there first to flush out any dirt that might be trapped in there

·
Registered
24,624 Posts

That is a darn good idea, let me go look at my bike.

Sometimes on the Wing the cable will get bent , out of position too. Somehow it gets out of the bracket and makes a sharp bend and kinks the cable. That is a revolting development and takes time and tearing the bike apart.

S

·
0 Posts
or u could just remove the 2 screws that hold the cluster together, lay the bike on right side and spray some lube under the sleeve until it runs out the other end of the sleeve, i would spray something like carb cleaner in there first to flush out any dirt that might be trapped in there
Yes but no spray - all spray lubes especially that WD-40 stuff turns to tar after the solvents evaporate - it will go from worse to worsererer

·
Registered
20,954 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
But oil is so free and it's all over the shop. We are just lubing a twist grip no need to go out and buy $50 of specialized lubricants. Of course I am sure someone will quote a market study and some government grant research papers saying regular oils do not feel as good. :lol:

·
Registered
2,581 Posts

·
Vendor
17,406 Posts
Do you have risers? Has fork or the steering head bearing worked been done? Sometimes the cables are not routed correctly after stuff like that has been done. Other things I would look for or do is:

- verify the cable routing is correct

- lube cables with a cable lube (I use a Yamaha product ... Honda does not make one)

- lube between the grip and handle bar with lithium base grease

- varify that the plastic routing clip is in place on the left side of the steering head.

·
Registered
878 Posts
It may be an issue of the cable housing having been crushed and causing drag to the internal part... Though most often I have found it to be a cause of the twist grip dragging on the handlebar...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts