GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just can't get my Baker wind wings to stay tight and not loosen and flip in the wind. Anybody got an answer to fix it forever or at least for a season. I'm just about to put some loc-tite thread locker on it and hope for the best. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Check their website. They sell stops that clip on the mirror. I had the problem you are having and the stops work.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Try installing some nylon washers. I believe they came with the washers and yours may be worn to a point where they do not provide the friction anymore.

·
Registered
7,380 Posts
Try installing some nylon washers. I believe they came with the washers and yours may be worn to a point where they do not provide the friction anymore.
Rather than nylon, use rubber washers. They compress and aren't slippery like nylon. Unit comes with both when new, I find the rubber hardens with age and no longer allows the deformation to occur and lets the wings swing in the breeze. Replace with new rubber and should be good to go.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
My hand wings are constructed very similar and I used rubber washers for friction and they haven't caused issues so far. Now if, IF, I adjust them too many times the screw might back out a bit but the wings seem to stay where I put them, even in gusty 45 kts winds while on the highway. You might also check to see if your mirror screw has backed out as well, in that case a weak thread locker might be in order.

·
IronMan
17,463 Posts
DUCT TAPE !! :bow::bow:;) TRY NUTS WITH THE PLASTIC THREAD LOCK IN THEM ( OR WHATEVER YOU CALL THEM ! ?

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Some new rubber washers will probably help solve the problem. Also, you have to have the washers in the correct order--- mine used to come loose all the time until I got it put together correctly. And if you adjust them all the time, you will have to occasionally retighten them. But getting everything in the correct order with the correct tension helps tremendously.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Some new rubber washers will probably help solve the problem. Also, you have to have the washers in the correct order--- mine used to come loose all the time until I got it put together correctly. And if you adjust them all the time, you will have to occasionally retighten them. But getting everything in the correct order with the correct tension helps tremendously.
What is the correct order?

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
New rubber washers will help but I personally used some blue loctite as well. It will be a bit more work to get it off if I ever need to but mine are stable to well over 100 now.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
What is the correct order?
I knew that would be asked!
I'm at work now. I'll try to remember to look tonight and post. My baker 's used to drive me crazy until I " fixed" the problem-- now rarely have to tighten them.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Same issue here, National Cycle resolved it for me.
Is it a secret or am I supposed to guess as to what they did? :lol:

·
Registered
312 Posts
It's a nifty way of locking the wing in place. They put teeth on each side of the mounting bracket that holds the unit in place. Works up to about 115 MPH... dont ask how I know... :cool:

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Just checked my wings: the important thing is for the rubber washers to be next to the bracket on the wing, then tighten down pretty tight. I try not to move mine too often-- and move them slowly when you do move them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts