GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All. :) New visitor to this site. 1st thing I want to say is "thank you" to the site host & contributors here - the wealth of useful info gleaned from browsing through these posts is invaluable! I've seen a couple of postings referencing problems with a "tilt sensor". Not sure if I am correctly interpreting the purpose or function of the described sensor. Does this sensor have something to do with EFI metering or some other purpose? Or does it have to do with disablement of the ignition circuit in the event of a lay-over? I've had the pleasure of owning an '02 and an '03 GL1800 with many happy miles inclusive of E-W coast-to-coat X-country trips, never had any tilt sensor troubles, but I'm just curious under the premise that, awareness-wise, "forewarned is forearmed". I know a guy who inadvertently backed his 4-wheel "cage" into a signpost (jerk) and thereafter couldn't restart the cage engine because he didn't know where the fuel pump's cutoff sensor "reset" button was located. Don't wanna be in that situation if I ever lay my baby over some day while crossing the Mojave Desert again, LOL . . . If this "titlt sensor" does in fact disable the ignition sensor, is it supposed to automatically reset itself, and/or can it be manually reset or bypassed if need be? Where is it located? And lastly, if anyone knows, has there been enough of a "problem history" with tilt sensors to warrant buying and carrying a replacement spare ?

I

·
0 Posts
Tilt Sensor

I have checked my full service manual and my ETM (Electrical Troubleshooting Manual), and my 02 GL1800 owners manual I cannot find one word about a Tilt Sensor. Hard to believe there isn't one, but if there is, it is a secret.

There is one on my 03 SilverWing scooter, and it is described in the owners manual.

Go figure!

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I have checked my full service manual and my ETM (Electrical Troubleshooting Manual), and my 02 GL1800 owners manual I cannot find one word about a Tilt Sensor. Hard to believe there isn't one, but if there is, it is a secret.
Check the section Starting & Stopping the Engine in your owners manual. It's called a 'Bank Angle Sensor'.

From the M.O.M.
"Bank Angle Sensor Ignition Cut-off System

Your motorcycle’s banking (lean angle) sensor system is designed to
automatically stop the engine and fuel pump if the motorcycle is overturned.

Before restarting the engine, you must turn the ignition switch to the OFF
position and then back to ON. The engine will not restart until you perform this procedure."

I

·
0 Posts
Thanks Don:

I never thought to look under that section in the MOM. Also, I found it is covered in the master service manual under Bank Angle Sensor in the Ignition section page 17-12.

The key you brought out is the term "Bank Angle Sensor". I looked in all the wrong places. I was looking for "Tipover Sensor" and it never occured to me to look under the Ignition Section for anything, and having been a mechanic for a good part of my earlier years, and a succesful boat and snowmobile racer, I should have known that it would be an igintion cutoff feature.

I get a dumb star for that one. :oops:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I get the "DumbStar" myself for not equating "titlt" to "bank" in my own manual perusals! Thanks to all who replied, I appreciate it. I sent this post in after reading about some poor fellow in here who was apparently doing a major rebuild job on a GW and midway through, couldn't get it to start or run despite mutiple diagnostic efforts. He sounded pretty fairly experienced (his problem ended up being what he termed a faulty "tilt sensor") and that's what got me to wondering, myself . . . thanks again for the replies. Now I can "rest easier", LOL.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Tilt / Bank sensor, it is a safety thing

i laid my bike over trying to get it on the side walk one day, and it killed the engine, that is what it is supposed to do.... to reset it you turn the key off and then turn it back on....restart the engine, and ride on.... most all newer motorcycles have then, even my wifes Harley has one.... it keeps the bike from hurting you if you lay it down, or let it tip over like i did.... no big deal,,,, the big deal is when you tip it over and you got to pick that puppy back up....is not fun, this thing is heavy.... But life goes on....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts