GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanting to know what options I have on batteries for the 1800?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hero: I'm about to buy a new battery also. My wing is a 2002 1800 , bought in March of '02. It still has the same battery that came in it, OEM.
It's 4 years and 8 months old and still "hot"..... Although I'm sure it'll be more expensive than a lot of brands, if the same battery is still available, I'm gonna go back with the same brand/type. Hey, it lasted over 4 and a half years. Just my opinion. Ride Safe , Stobby.

·
Registered
4,214 Posts

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
Buy a battery tender at the same time you replace your battery and you won't need another battery for a long, long time!
Just sold an 01 Harley Ultra w/47,000 miles on the clock.
Used the battery tender from day 1.
Battery still checked just like it was brand new when I traded it! Not sure how long the battery would go but, remember the inventor of the battery tender was still using the same battery in several different bikes and it was 9 years old at the time the article was published.

·
Registered
637 Posts
tfdeputydawg said:
Buy a battery tender at the same time you replace your battery and you won't need another battery for a long, long time!
Just sold an 01 Harley Ultra w/47,000 miles on the clock.
Used the battery tender from day 1.
Battery still checked just like it was brand new when I traded it! Not sure how long the battery would go but, remember the inventor of the battery tender was still using the same battery in several different bikes and it was 9 years old at the time the article was published.
Before anyone says anything...I know...I'm going to get stranded in BumF#@, Egypt someday. :roll:

Anyway, my 99 HD has July 98 stamped on the battery (I actually took delivery in Sept. 98 ). Still has great cranking power...It's never been on a tender. I take it out of the bike in the winter and re-install it in the spring.

I'm on my second battery on the Wing. It got punky last year and I just replaced it so I wouldn't get stranded in Thule, Greenland. :D

·
Registered
900 Posts
Bulldog has the right answer for ya...
I just ordered a new one yesterday. Mine is almost 5 years old, and don't want to push my luck. :wink:

·
Registered
124 Posts
on a new battery, should it be charged completly before installing in bike?

Is the battery tender enough to charge a new battery to a full charge?

I got my new battery on Thursday, and it's on the tender.

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
BruceW said:
on a new battery, should it be charged completly before installing in bike?

Is the battery tender enough to charge a new battery to a full charge? ....
Yes.

I think so, so that's what I did.

YMMV :wink:

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
Falcon Wing said:
I just watched the install video on the HDL site..... can you use a regular car battery charger??
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOOKING UP A REGULAR CHARGER WILL FRY YOUR BATTERY.
THE BATTERY TENDER OR SIMILAR PRODUCT HAS A MICRO CHIP THAT CHARGES THE BATTERY TO FULL THEN "IDLES" UNTIL THE BATTERY NEEDS MORE CHARGING.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
That is what I wanted to know....
What is the opther option since I don't have a tender? Can I just install it and ride on?

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Falcon Wing said:
That is what I wanted to know....
What is the opther option since I don't have a tender? Can I just install it and ride on?
In that case, install the battery and go for a long ride! 8)

Or, can you borrow a small charger from a friend?

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
tfdeputydawg said:
Falcon Wing said:
I just watched the install video on the HDL site..... can you use a regular car battery charger??
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOOKING UP A REGULAR CHARGER WILL FRY YOUR BATTERY.
THE BATTERY TENDER OR SIMILAR PRODUCT HAS A MICRO CHIP THAT CHARGES THE BATTERY TO FULL THEN "IDLES" UNTIL THE BATTERY NEEDS MORE CHARGING.

Hello...........B.S....yes you can "cook" a battery IF you try!!!! MOST small home style chargers have a 2 amp setting that will not harm your GL. battery..yuasa even advises charging at 1.8-2 amps for a set amount of time(sorry I dont know how long )...MOST (again) newer style chargers have the same "chip"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....chuck...........ps if worried about your battery just feel it & dont let it get hot!!! a little warm is OK

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
One of the keys to properly initializing a new battery, is to install the electrolyte and let the plates soak for 1/2 hour to an hour. Then bring to a full charge with a 1.5 amp charger (2 amp will work fine). This should be accomplished prior to putting any load whatsoever on the battery, if you want to take it to the top and keep it there.

Instructions are very clear, inside the box of every new battery.

Play the game differently, and results may vary.

Bulldog

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I always like to replace my batteries in my bike and truck after 3 years if I keep them that long. It seems like after 3 year a battery can go any time. My wife has a 01 Chev. Blazer and it went right at 3 years lucky it was at home in the garage about the best place for it to go.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts