GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1990 Suzuki DR 250S. Its a dual purpose bike. It only has 2000 miles on it. Its in great shape except the items that get old like rubber. I took the carb apart last night down to the bare bones. Alot of the gaskets are kinda dry rotted. I remember one piece in particular. The round oring that holds in the float bowl, it was kinda hard to get out. Once I had it out it kinda was cracked and stuff. The float would not stay in thta hole now. I am not sure which one is correct. Started the bike up, starts much better now by the way. But it has a big miss in it after it gets warm. Whats wierd, if I adjust my idle screw to stay high its fine, but if I bring the idle down it will sputter when I give it gas.

Any ideas

·
Registered
791 Posts
I'd be looking for a vacuum leak on the intake side...e,g,, the rubber boots which probably connect the carb(s) to the intake manifold. Try a propane test to see.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
but if I bring the idle down it will sputter when I give it gas.
This sounds like it's too lean to me. Is this a two stroke? Does it have air/fuel mixture screws? I'd suspect an air leak(adjustment maybe).....allowing too much air into the carb/head, and running lean.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lets see if I can explain this.

On the float housing, the part that the actual flaot is attached too, there is a round tube that goes into the body of the carb. At the end of this tube is an oring, this oring was a little dry rotted and would not let the float assembly set down all the way like it was before I pulled it out. I had to pull pretty hard to get it out, now it just barley stays in. Which tells me that the float assembly is not right. The manual says I need 1 mm clearance. I dont quite understand this, the picture in the service manual is not very clear or legible. I think this is the problem. I am not sure exactly the symptoms of a float problem. However everything else is cut and dry. There is NO adjustments on this carb at all. All the needles go in a certain way and there is no adjustement. The manual states because of emmisions it is this way. With there not being any adjustments, can I just take in the carb assembly and have them rebuild it. I could do it but I dont know how to mess with the float properly. The only adjustment is a knurl type knob for idle adjustment.

·
Vendor
22,067 Posts
Toyo said:
Lets see if I can explain this.

On the float housing, the part that the actual flaot is attached too, there is a round tube that goes into the body of the carb. At the end of this tube is an oring, this oring was a little dry rotted and would not let the float assembly set down all the way like it was before I pulled it out. I had to pull pretty hard to get it out, now it just barley stays in. Which tells me that the float assembly is not right. The manual says I need 1 mm clearance. I dont quite understand this, the picture in the service manual is not very clear or legible. I think this is the problem. I am not sure exactly the symptoms of a float problem. However everything else is cut and dry. There is NO adjustments on this carb at all. All the needles go in a certain way and there is no adjustement. The manual states because of emmisions it is this way. With there not being any adjustments, can I just take in the carb assembly and have them rebuild it. I could do it but I dont know how to mess with the float properly. The only adjustment is a knurl type knob for idle adjustment.
If the float level is too high, the bike will run rich, if it is too low it will run lean. Sounds to me like the float level is not right due to the dry rotted O ring problem you mentioned. Float level is pretty critical and needs to be set accurately or the bike won't run correctly.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Well it is.....but we're trying to help a bud with a "motorcycle" problem. Some of us are funny like that.

·
Registered
791 Posts
WingAirSpeed said:
Aw man, I must have signed on to the wrong site, I thought this was the GL1800 tech site :22yikes:
Got a problem with me helping someone? Send it private and let me know.
Prayers sent....

·
Registered
791 Posts
WingAirSpeed said:
Aw man, I must have signed on to the wrong site, I thought this was the GL1800 tech site :22yikes:
Talk about no good deed going unpunished....

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ken, Part #19 is the o-ring. I was able to get one today. I will try to work on it tommorow. That is very nice of you to find that for me. Much better pic than the manual. Its that housing that I cant get to sit down all the way. The manual states the float level is 1mm. But I dont know where I am supposed to be measuring. Trialsman is coming over tommorow for us to do some work on his bike. Maybe he knows?????

Thanks again Ken. I will have to save that site.

·
Registered
126 Posts
when you have it apart make sure the pilot jet is clean this is your idle speed mixture,it has a small orfice and if resticted give idle and off idle troubles.xx

1 - 13 of 13 Posts