GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About to leave on a trip down to GA for the weekend and my poor ole Pirelli [email protected] RF is about 1/32 away from the wear bars. :cry:

The tire has 12,500 miles on it. The side tread blocks have just a hint of feathering/cupping on them. It is only noticeable by feeling the trailing edge of the tread block with your fingers. Just ever so slight. Wore the center out a bit quicker than the edges. I was running 32-34 so I dropped it to 30 for the last 2,500 miles. Think I'll run that pressure on the next tire for its life as my wife and I are a bit on the light side.

At this mileage all my other MT were dangerously cupped or going "thump, thump, thump" from a bulge. This tire is the first one I've replaced on the GL1800 because of only the tread wearing down. Awesome!! Don't see why I would ever endanger my life (or anyone elses) with another MT on a GL1800. :thumbup:

Oh...my next tire, delivered Monday. I got it mounted at a local shop yesterday. Using the tip over method (first time for me) and a sheet of wax paper, I had the old tire off and new tire on in under 10 minutes this morning. Holly BMT that way of changing the rear tire was easy. Oh and that wax paper trick kicked A$$. :bow:

Here's the new sneaker:

A Kumho Ecsta SPT XRP run flat (195/55 R16). Can't wait to test it out and compare it to the Pirelli!! :yes:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Looks great. Thanks for the pic's. I don't know what the temp is in Leesburg is but here in Va. Beach today is 93 right now. Stay hydrated and be safe.:congrats: Tire looks good under there.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! :thumbup:

It is 90F right now in Leesburg. Just got back from a quick 30 mile ride to check the new tire out. :thumbup: Turns a bit easier than the Pirelli. I like it so far but phew is it warm and it's only noon! The humidity is up there too. Gonna be another hot one for sure!

Looks great. Thanks for the pic's. I don't know what the temp is in Leesburg is but here in Va. Beach today is 93 right now. Stay hydrated and be safe.:congrats: Tire looks good under there.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Looks great, have a safe trip!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
About to leave on a trip down to GA for the weekend and my poor ole Pirelli [email protected] RF is about 1/32 away from the wear bars. :cry:

The tire has 12,500 miles on it. The side tread blocks have just a hint of feathering/cupping on them. It is only noticeable by feeling the trailing edge of the tread block with your fingers. Just ever so slight. Wore the center out a bit quicker than the edges. I was running 32-34 so I dropped it to 30 for the last 2,500 miles. Think I'll run that pressure on the next tire for its life as my wife and I are a bit on the light side.

At this mileage all my other MT were dangerously cupped or going "thump, thump, thump" from a bulge. This tire is the first one I've replaced on the GL1800 because of only the tread wearing down. Awesome!! Don't see why I would ever endanger my life (or anyone elses) with another MT on a GL1800. :thumbup:

Oh...my next tire, delivered Monday. I got it mounted at a local shop yesterday. Using the tip over method (first time for me) and a sheet of wax paper, I had the old tire off and new tire on in under 10 minutes this morning. Holly BMT that way of changing the rear tire was easy. Oh and that wax paper trick kicked A$$. :bow:

Here's the new sneaker:

A Kumho Ecsta SPT XRP run flat (195/55 R16). Can't wait to test it out and compare it to the Pirelli!! :yes:

Please enlighten me on the wax paper. :shrug::shrug:

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
John, Ken, I think the waxpaper thing Rob is talking about is to take a piece of waxpaper and place it between the protrusion on the fender and the tire to ease the sliding of the tire into the slot.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Congrats on your new rear tire. I only got a little over 17k on the same brand that you were running.

Storm, are you running the parelli? what air pressure?

Joe in Redding

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the clarification.

I was out in the GA hills last weekend wearing out my new Kumho and didn't have a chance to get online. :thumbup:

John, Ken, I think the waxpaper thing Rob is talking about is to take a piece of waxpaper and place it between the protrusion on the fender and the tire to ease the sliding of the tire into the slot.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Wax paper, Thanks for tip!

·
Registered
826 Posts
wax paper

thanks for the tip, I have heard that a plastic shopping bag works also, and I know slipping a walmart bag over my boots sure makes it a lot easier to put on raingear.
Andy

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
The Kumho (195/55/16 RF) is the one I installed for my first CT, about 900 miles on it now, if this thing wears good I'll buy another one.
I'm running about 35 pounds in it and it seems to be running flat across the tread, and rides great.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cool. Just something to play around with. It's nice to be able to have some room to adjust pressures without fear of iminent tire failure.

I ran 28-30psi 2up while on my trip to GA and the new tire felt good. I can feel it flatten a bit when hard exiting a corner but it doesn't bother me. I could feel the Pirelli do that also at 30psi. Pressure gain was 7-8 lbs running at Interstate speed so that seems good too. We'll see how far I get on this one.

The Kumho (195/55/16 RF) is the one I installed for my first CT, about 900 miles on it now, if this thing wears good I'll buy another one.
I'm running about 35 pounds in it and it seems to be running flat across the tread, and rides great.

G

·
I ran 28-30psi 2up
I can't believe you didn't instantly die! How can you run sub-30 pressure and survive. According to the experts that can't and won't work.
I just bet your IQ is 120 or more - that's the problem :cool:

BTW 28,540 miles and still going (26psi)

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
I can't believe you didn't instantly die! How can you run sub-30 pressure and survive. According to the experts that can't and won't work.
I just bet your IQ is 120 or more - that's the problem :cool:

BTW 28,540 miles and still going (26psi)
And what two-wheeled motorcycle did you use in making such an achievement?

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So when I installed my Kuhmo RF, I pulled the valve core to aid installation. Slipped the tire in, put the valve core back in, stood the bike up, and then aired up the tire with the air compressor.

Oh that Kuhmo looks quite flat without any air in it. I don't see how anyone could mistake a flat RF for anything other than a flat tire. :shrug:

I used the little Cambel Hausfeld cordless air inflator I have in the garage. It looks like this:

I inflated the tire from 0psi to 30 psi.

After about 1.5 hours, I went to head out on a test ride. When I checked the air pressure on the rear tire, it read 27psi. :shock:

Great! I was leaving the next day for GA and my new tire has a leak? :x

I aired it back up to 30psi and went for a 50 miles ride. I kept an eye on the TPMS and the rear tire pressured up just fine and held at 34psi which is about right for just 1-up riding for me.

After 3 hours of sitting in the garage, I checked the rear tire pressure again and it was 29psi. After waiting another 3 hours the tire was still 29psi. :p Phew! (I really hate making equipment changes so close to a long trip).

My guess is that using the little air compressor to pump that tire from zero to 30psi caused it to heat up and blow really hot air into the tire. So even though I initially got it to 30psi, that was a warm 30psi and the psi dropped as the air in the tire cooled.

So for those of you that use a similar inflator to pump up your tires from zero to full pressure, you may want to give the tire a few hours to cool off before rechecking the pressure and topping it off to the correct COLD pressure you're after. :yes1:

G

·
It's best to install the tire and pop the bead by filling it to 35-40 psi so the bead seats. Then go ahead and let it deflate and install. Also a good idea to clean the bead once the old tire is off so it has a good sealing surface.
Soap works nice as it will immediately bubble if you have a bead leak and the stuff is really slippery so installs go easy.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I didn't install the tire on the rim. I simply installed the wheel/tire on the bike.

So my point was to suggest that using a small air inflator to inflate the tire from zero to 30psi will heat up the air sufficiently in the tire to give you a "warm" pressure reading and not a "cold" one.

Let the tire rest and come back and double check it once it has cooled off for an accurate "cold" pressure check.

It's best to install the tire and pop the bead by filling it to 35-40 psi so the bead seats. Then go ahead and let it deflate and install. Also a good idea to clean the bead once the old tire is off so it has a good sealing surface.
Soap works nice as it will immediately bubble if you have a bead leak and the stuff is really slippery so installs go easy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts