GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess it is time to explore some our roads to find out if some of that winter sand is gone. I hope to get out toward the end of next week to find out!!!

Hoping for some good riding weather.

Time to go riding!!! :biker:

Anybody else going?

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I sure need to…before Rogers!!! Gonna try Bob, but stuff keeps popping up around here…supposed to rain again tonight!!!

Rick has been wanting to come over for a few days of warmup before the event, but mother nature hasn't cooperated…at all.

Check this out….CHANCE OF SNOW!!!!

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=72556&wuSelect=WEATHER

Looking at the extended forecast on both the weather channel and national weather service, there may be a nice weather window next weekend and into the following week? Of course the way things have been this year, we could have snow on the ground! :shrug:

BTW: have you been out anywhere to see how much sand is still on the roads?

I am hoping for a good weather window next week. I am so ready to get into the mountains for some good riding!!!

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Only sand of any measure was on 69 around Cushman…it's a bad area when it snows and they apply a lot of grit. Wife reported there were some new poor quality "patches" on 9, so gonna have to make a "touring run"…soon.

·
IronMan
17,461 Posts
NEED SOME HEAVY RAIN TO WASH ROADS . WILL BE UP FOR ROGERS SO IF IT DONT RAIN WOULD BE NICE FOR YOU LOCALS TO GET SOME FIRE HOSES AND WAS DOWN SAND/GRAVEL - ( AT LEAST ON CURVES/ TURNS ) :lol::lol:

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
NEED SOME HEAVY RAIN TO WASH ROADS . WILL BE UP FOR ROGERS SO IF IT DONT RAIN WOULD BE NICE FOR YOU LOCALS TO GET SOME FIRE HOSES AND WAS DOWN SAND/GRAVEL - ( AT LEAST ON CURVES/ TURNS ) :lol::lol:
Hmmm ... we will get right on that!! :joke:

On the other hand ... I think I will work on finding out where the sand is ... if we can get some decent weather for riding!!

·
IronMan
17,461 Posts
MAIN THING IS IF MOTHER NATURE CO-OPS ON WEATHER ! :bow::bow:

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Only sand of any measure was on 69 around Cushman…it's a bad area when it snows and they apply a lot of grit. Wife reported there were some new poor quality "patches" on 9, so gonna have to make a "touring run"…soon.
:agree: Need to find out what the winter has done to our roads ... and find as many of those bad spots as we can!!

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got in a good ride today!! Below is the route we took.

https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=920253349cf51a903

The only place we saw any significant sand was going down the mountain on Push Mountain Road. Everything else was very good! :thumbup:

Now I need to check things on the west side of the state! Retirement is such hard work!!! :joke:

·
Registered
724 Posts
Got in a good ride today!! Below is the route we took.

https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=920253349cf51a903

The only place we saw any significant sand was going down the mountain on Push Mountain Road. Everything else was very good! :thumbup:

Now I need to check things on the west side of the state! Retirement is such hard work!!! :joke:
I imagine it is! But do you need to keep reminding all of us office drones?:joke:

Stay safe, have fun!
Joe

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I plan to get out for a while tomorrow. Don't have any real plans on where to go. If anyone would like to get out for a ride let me know!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Saturday ride

Hey Bob, I have not been on here in a while but I am ready for a ride.
I can't go on Saturday however. Post up here if you get out during the
week and I'll sure try to join you. It has been a long winter and I have
only had the bike out a couple times this spring...

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will certainly do that!! :thumbup:

It may be a few days ... after Saturday I will be getting the bike ready for the Rogers Ride In on the following weekend. But after that I will let you know.

I agree with the "long winter". This one was terrible, I was not able to get into the northern ozarks until recently ... too much sand on the roads. It is a lot better now. Highway 123 still has some places to be mindful of, but most everything else is in pretty good shape.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Just a short scouting ride

I got out this morning for a scouting ride. I took Hwy. 16 W. from Clinton to Hwy 27, I saw very little sand on the road, still a little gravel in the corners kicked up on the road, probably by trailers being drug onto the shoulder. I ran out of time to go any farther north or west.
The only thing that I saw that was any issue is mud tracked onto the road by log trucks, but it really isn't too bad right now.

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got out this morning for a scouting ride. I took Hwy. 16 W. from Clinton to Hwy 27, I saw very little sand on the road, still a little gravel in the corners kicked up on the road, probably by trailers being drug onto the shoulder. I ran out of time to go any farther north or west.
The only thing that I saw that was any issue is mud tracked onto the road by log trucks, but it really isn't too bad right now.
I managed to run highway 16 from the junction of highway 27 west to the junction of highway 23 (pig trail). The section between highway 27 and highway 7 is much the same as you describe. It is in pretty good shape except for a few inside corners. I was really surprise by the western part of 16, especially the part between highways 21 and 23. In the past, the western sections usually have a lot of sand. They are looking real good right now!!! :thumbup:

A big disappointment was the northern section of highway 123. It is MUCH better than it was three weeks ago. But a rider will have to be very vigilant, especially on the left hand curves. The sand is thick starting at the white line coming into the lane as much as 18 inches in some places.

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
get us a good route, i want to ride with you friday and saturday

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
get us a good route, i want to ride with you friday and saturday
If we are riding in the Ozarks, they are all good routes!! :lol:

·
Registered
724 Posts
If we are riding in the Ozarks, they are all good routes!! :lol:
I haven't ridden a state highway north of I-40 that I haven't found something fun about it. Maybe its all in how you look at it....

Joe

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey Larry

You able to get out this week? Wednesday is looking like a real good day to ride!!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Ride

Thanks for the heads up Bob, the wife and I are leaving out in the morning for a ride down along the gulf. Not my favorite trip for sure but its what she wants to do. I plan on coming back up thru Alabama along the little river gorge, maybe find some twisty s there. We will be gone all week. Maybe we can get out for a ride the next week.....Larry

1 - 20 of 79 Posts