GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is time to upgrade my GPS to a weather model. I currently run the 276C and absolutely love it, give me weather on it and I am a happy guy. I have gone to Garmin's web site and did the comparison of the 376 and the 378 and the specs are identical. I have searched this board and have yet to find a comparison of these two particular units.

So, what is the difference other than the 378 is the newer model of the 376 and the 378 appears to be about $250 more?

My prerequisites are:

1. Still be able to use my current Kennedy interface.
2. Maintain the PC functionality (City Navigator Software)
3. Ability to move from Wing to car seamlessly (as I do with my 276)

Am I missing anything else? :? I am not opposed to paying the extra for a better unit if it is justified. I welcome all of your suggestions and input.

Thanks in advance,

BAT

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Looking at the Garmin compairson page, the 378 comes with, City Navigator® NT North America. (preloaded)

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
BAT1800 said:
...So, what is the difference other than the 378 is the newer model of the 376 and the 378 appears to be about $250 more?
The 376C comes with the GXM30 antenna...it's an option on the 378 and 478. Both the 378 and 478 comes pre-loaded with the City Navigator...I don't think it comes pre-loaded on the 376 so you'll have to purchase the data card(s).

Note: you cannot download PC generated routes to the 378. You can download them to the 478. The difference between the 378 and 478 is that the 378 comes pre-loaded with inland waterways and the 478 with ocean data.

Hope that helps...

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I may have found the answer to my question at http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/gps/detail.asp?prod=GPS478

Here is what I found out:

GPSMap 376C

Road and Marine detail maps are not included with GPS, available as separate purchase. Memory card required for detail maps.
Automotive cradle, dash mount, and cigarette power cord are not included with GPS
Garmin GXM-30 XM Smart Antenna, which allows XM audio or XM Weather to be used (with appropriate subscriptions), is included with the 376C

GPSMap 378/478

Full North American US/Canada detail road maps are included with the 378/478, pre-installed in internal memory (no memory card needed)
Detail Marine Maps (inland lakes with 378; coastal waters with 478) are included, pre-installed with no need for a memory card
Automotive cradle, dash mount, cigarette power cord are included
Garmin GXM-30 XM Smart Antenna is supported, but is not included and must be purchased separately if XM audio or weather features are desired

So, as you can see there are a number of differences between the models. For riders who want the XM features, but don't plan to use the GPS in a car or need extensive detail maps (a 512MB memory card will hold about 1/3 of the USA), the 376C can be a better deal since the XM antenna is included, but the 378/478 is a better value if you travel extensively, and especially if you have a need for the marine detail maps.

***Important note regarding the GPSMap 378 and planning routes on a PC*** - All of the Garmin units we sell today are capable of allowing detailed routes to be planned on a computer, and downloaded into the GPS, with the temporary exception of the GPSMap 378. This is due to the way that Garmin has loaded the City Navigator software in the 378 - they have created a combined Road/Water map for the 378, and this prevents routes planned on a computer from loading properly in the 378. The 478 does not have this limitation. This is not a permanent problem, but until the next release of map updates (early 2007) users of the 378 will not be able to create routes on a computer and load them into the GPS. If this feature is important to you in the meantime, we suggest that you choose the 478, and if you also need inland waterway mapping you can add that via the memory card socket and Bluechart software.
So does anyone know, Can I use my City Navigator 8.0 Software on the 478 or do I need the City Navigator NT version?

Comments anyone????

BAT

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
According to the Garmin website, CN Ver. 8 is compatible with the 478, but you can't use it to upload any map data to it.

·
Registered
707 Posts
The differences betweend the 376C and 378 are (most of them mentioned already):

- 376C requires seperate purchase of City Navigator which is preloaded on the 378
- 376C omes with the XM Antenna which is sold seperately for the 378
- The 378 does require to build routes on the unit as it otherwise will recalculate the route. This will be fixed with the next mapupdate according to Garmin
- Both units are compatible with City Navigator and Mapsource (create waypoints/routes).

I've opted for the 378 as it has the data preloaded and doesn't require the Garmin data cards. The fact that you need to build the route on the unit isn't as bad as it sounds plus it will be fixed in the not to distant future. I've found a special offer for the 378 & XM Antenna that made it cheaper than buying the 376C and City Navigator data.

Both units are the same casing so switching them between vehicles is not an issue (same for both).

If you mainly travel locally the 376C is fine. If you do travel more cross country and need extensive map details the 378 is the way to go.

Reiner

·
Registered
652 Posts
I had a 276C and I have a 378. I bought mine before they discovered that the routes could not be downloaded from the computer.

If I had it to do over I would opt for the 376 with a 512 meg card just because of this route issue. I do like the preloaded maps because it avoids those 20-30 minute downloads that I always seemed to remeber at the last moments. If they get the idiotic problem with the routes straightened out the 378 is the clear winner. Especially if you tend to travel across country a lot. I would guess that the 512 card with the new NT maps would get the eastern half of the country though.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
wv_wingman said:
...If I had it to do over I would opt for the 376 with a 512 meg card just because of this route issue.
So, until Garmin addresses that issue, go with the 478. It has the entire US pre-loaded just like the 378. Then, routes can be generated on a PC and downloaded to a data card.

As a side note, I plotted a "four corners" route around the US using MapSource V8 and, according to my PC, used only about 250KB of space on my 128MEG card.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DT said:
As a side note, I plotted a "four corners" route around the US using MapSource V8 and, according to my PC, used only about 250KB of space on my 128MEG card.
Are you saying that in order to load routes you need the data card (if it were a 478)? I thought I could load routes without a data card and that it was only for extra maps?

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
BAT1800 said:
...Are you saying that in order to load routes you need the data card (if it were a 478)? I thought I could load routes without a data card and that it was only for extra maps?
Correct, routes are loaded to the data card on the 478.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DT said:
DT,

Is this form first hand experiance, i.e. do you own a 478?

Thanks,

BAT

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
BAT1800 said:
DT said:
DT,

Is this form first hand experiance, i.e. do you own a 478?

Thanks,

BAT
Yes, I do own and use the 478. I should have said you can load routes directly to the 478 with or without a data card.

I apologize for the confusion...

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for clearing that up for me! I was thinking I needed a data card simply to down load maps from my laptop. Guess the decision is that it will be a 478 :lol:

Although the 2820 is looking pretty good... but I am leaning toward the bigger display and the fact that the 478 has a battery (kind of nice not having to plug in to AC when route planning). If only they added Bluetooth to the 478 it would be perfect. Oh well, can't have everything! :(

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
BAT1800 said:
...Guess the decision is that it will be a 478...(
Glad I could help and again sorry about the confusion.

After you get the 478, find out what version of MapSource it has been loaded with...should be v8. Then contact Garmin for a copy as the last I knew, it does not come with the GPS.

You can use a different version but it will probably give you the "Maps don't match" error and the GPS will want to recalculate.

Yea, Bluetooth would be nice but I really appreciate the XM and NEXRAD radar on the 478. And, the newer technology is much faster at calculations...a good thing when you miss a turn.

Good luck and ride safely!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just wondering if the 478 allows you to store multiple tracks to capture multi day trip information. I have the SPIII and it does not allow this.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
markh74 said:
Just wondering if the 478 allows you to store multiple tracks to capture multi day trip information. I have the SPIII and it does not allow this.
While I have not used that feature, the user's manual suggests up to 15 track logs from certain times and dates can be saved, edited, and navigated. The manual also says a portion of the track log can be saved as well.

Take a look at the Garmin site and download the user's manual for the 478 to see if it covers your area of interest.

Sorry I could not be more helpful...

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
All of the GPSMap products support up to 15 track files - each one can hold up to 1,000 points. The total number of track points in all files cannot exceed 10,000 points.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts