GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please take time to send a letter to the DMV.. This is not FAIR to us Motorcyclists.

The New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC) has granted our request for an extension to the public comment period regarding the huge increase being proposed for motorcycle registration fees. In case you are not aware, the MVC is proposing to raise this fee from the current level of $10 per year for registering your motorcycle ( I don't know where the $10.00 information came from, My Goldwing costs $28.50 ) to $65 per year and it could even be as high as $86.50 per year! The cost to register an automobile will not increase, so if this proposal is approved, it will be more expensive to register your bike than it is to register most cars!

The public comment period was extended until May 2nd. So if you have not already written a letter to the MVC expressing your displeasure, please do so before the deadline. If motorcyclists have any chance at all to stop this outrageously large (650%) :wrong:increase, the MVC need to hear from you.

To make it as simple as possible for you to send your comments, ABATE has pre-written four different letters from which you can choose. Just pick the one that best expresses how you feel about this injustice to the motorcyclists of New Jersey and mail it in after filling out the bottom section.

Go to http://www.gardenstateabate.org/ and click the link at the top of the yellow area on the home page that says "MVC Comment period extended to May 2nd". Then just follow the instructions on the Call to Action page. NOTE: This is for ALL motorcyclists, not just ABATE members.

ABATE has recently learned that the MVC has received about 200 letters thus far, but this number is not near enough to have the impact we need for change.

Don't just sit back and let this happen to us! Please do not delay, send your letters today!

Thanks,
Jim Parker
ABATE of the Garden State
Legislative Coordinator, Alt.
NJ Dist. 23

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
May I also suggest you send Cc's to your local Congressperson, and your Senators.......

I don't have my checkbook nearby, however, here in IL, it costs about $40.00 to renew, PLUS I have to purchase a sticker from my local village/town for $10.00 for the year......maybe total = $50.00/year, and cars about double that, unless you live in Chicago proper. Then, it's closer to $200/year total.

I USED to live in Jersey.......I feel your pain.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Here in GA, this was my first year to re-new my registration, the bill was $262.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :22yikes: Almost as much as it cost me to re-new my Ford Expedition!!! I asked the lady at the counter why it was almost as much as my heavy gas hogger and she had no reply, I told her that was rediculus!!!!

·
Registered
977 Posts
Thanks, much, for the post.

I guess someone received a fine promotion in the State Government by counting all of the currently registered AND "guesstimated" newly registered motorcycles times the increased cost per motorcycle, to calculate a substantial additional income, to offset the State budget losses??
This method is less obvious than the easy method of increasing tolls.

And manipulating funded program money should likely be illegal?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Live in Nebraska

2005 Wing $225 which includes $18 for the wheel tax for driving on Omaha streets

·
Registered
792 Posts
In NV, registration fees are value based. There is a basic $33 registration fee, $6 mandatory MSF fee (M/C regs only), then add on the value assessment. All together my '06 is now in the $150 range. Anything less would be a treat.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
My 08 Wing was $187.00 last year and this year it was $167.00 Ny Mercury SUV was $175.00 in 08 and $255.00 this year,

·
Registered
94 Posts
AS AN EX NJ RES I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!!

GOLDWING 07 1 YR REG IN SD = $28.00

FULL COVERAGE INS 1 YR = $ 500.00
==============================

INS 2000 NJ ...2000 JIMMY AND 1998 FORD 350 DIESEL = $3600.00:22yikes:

INS 2001 SD SAME TRUCKS = $ 1250.00 :thumbup:

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
RC, I let my membership expire but think I'll rejoin now. If VA starts this crap I'll really have to pay.

Now have AMA member # 1083292

This is another good reason why everyone should join the AMA . This is the type issue they work on all the time to protect motorcycle riders/owners. $39.00 a year to have your own reps work on state/Federal issues and free road side break down protection national wide...:p

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
My understanding is that the fee hasn't been raised since 1968. If that is true then an increase is I feel justified. The amount should be on a par with inflation which I will leave to someone else to figure out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts