GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 10,000 miles on my wing and my rear tire is SHOT!! The front is pretty bad with some nasty cupping as well. Time for new shoes. This will be the first time for putting tires on the GW, so I'm not sure what to look for.

I like to drag the pegs. I have the full-up traxxion suspension and I like to use it. I always ride two-up (about 350pounds combined weight). So, I want a tire that will perform. However, wife HATES buying motorcycle tires every time we turn around.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1. By 'Stones... do we mean Bridgestones?
2. What model 'Stones are we talking about?
3. What is Ride on?
4. Why do I not want it?

·
Registered
9,107 Posts
I'll be the first to recommend Avons. The new Cobra's are amazing. And try DynaBeads for your balancing. Good stuff!

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
Metzlers and do NOT put Ride On in your tires.
Not trying to hi-jack post but, I also wonder why you would not want ride-on in your tires?
Everyone has different opinions on tires. A lot would depend on riding style, inflation preasure, etc.
Never had Metzlers, but may try them!

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
my understanding is it attacks aluimn. rims,,,i could be wrong on this one?

·
Registered
165 Posts
the stones allday long for me, had avons unpredictable in the cold/wet no feed b ack from the tyres, had metz very badly blistered/delaminated after 4k also had dunlops they were best of a bad bunch, i will only put the stones on my bike now. my life is worth that:shock:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Bridgestones seem to be the going thing now, I like the Dunlop E3'S for my wing. And if you were closer I would tell you to go to Wing Stuff in Lake Forest, they have free mounting of tires until Jan 31, that saves you a lot of money.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Dunlop Elite 3 last longer than anything else for me and I'm happy with the handling though I don't get too squidly with the 900lb "sportbike".
I think the Bridgestones give the best feel/ride and that's on every bike I've owned but they wear quickly as well. The one time I used the Metzler ME880 I got wobble and its been Elite III since.

Steve

·
Registered
715 Posts
I'll be the first to recommend Avons. The new Cobra's are amazing. Good stuff!
I have to agree. Very smooth quite and no cupping.... Yet??? :thumbup:

·
Registered
18,582 Posts
Most Cops in Texas use Metzlers because they grip. I have 14K and counting with current Metzlers and Traxxion set up. Looking at tires within the next 2K. Looking at Stones though I did get a bad front a while back or Metzlers again. Don't put bias ply tires on your motorcycle. Would you put non radial on your cars or trucks? Old technology.:eek:4:

·
Registered
581 Posts
There are many opinions on tires, but I would stay away from Ride-on or any other slime type stuff. I used some several years ago and both my front and rear valve stems leaked. When I took the tire off the crud was in the valve stem seats and caked all over the rims. It had turned into a hard paste. It did discolor the aluminium, but I don't think that hurt as much as the build up in the valve stems and beads.

Dyna beads and Ride-on definitely don't work well together!!

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
I have been STONED at all but one tire change! I had to have a E3 while in AZ. and I couldn't wait to get it off....... I have used RideOn on a GL1500 and would not do again! I did not affect the Al but was messy! I vote for STONES....

1 - 20 of 40 Posts