GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m about 97% decided that it’s time to climb off. If you’ve sold a GL in the past yourself, how did you go about it so you weren't inviting people to come take rides on your bike ? I private sold HD back in 90s and the guy walked up to me with a hundred dollar bill and asked if I’d hold it for him. Didn’t even ask me to start it. When I sold my Interstate it as sort of the same. So how do I list it to attract only serious buyers? I’m half tempted, when I get to 100% sure, to ask a dealer if they’d sell it for 10% of the gross.
Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
Sometimes, this is a much better choice having a dealer sell it for you... Because: 1st their trained to sell, 2nd bike is out of your garage, 3rd no phones, and waiting for persons to show up, that don't, 4th no one test riding your bike, that have no idea how to ride 5th when sold, all the registry papers are in order.....6th you don't have to stay home OR wait by the phone, just hoping that you get a call, OR someone drives by and see's a 4 sale sign, and hands you the money immeadially .............Yes! it hurts to hand over the 10% to a dealership, BUT it does take all the stress out of selling ..

Ronnie

·
Registered
72 Posts
To add one more "plus" to what Ronnie has said, the Dealer is also motivated to sell for top dollar. The more he can get for the bike, the more he puts in his pocket.
Additionally, a lot of dealerships have very low inventory right now and may be more willing to help you sell on commission, than if they had a packed showroom.
They need bikes on the floor to help maintain foot traffic.

I've sold on both Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace in the past.

The only way that I will let someone test ride, is if they can show me a motorcycle endorsement on their Drivers Licence and I am holding their cash. If they drop it, they bought it!

Allan

·
Registered
425 Posts
Cash in my hand and a copy of their drivers license with a motorcycle endorsement, they can take a test ride. With the stated, "If you are not back in 15 minutes I call the cops."

I sold an ST1100 from my front yard after buying my GL1800. Guy pulls up hands me $200 and asks if I'll hold it for him for a day. I said sure and put it back in the garage. Next day he calls and says the wife said no and to keep the $200. I told him to come get his money, and I'll put it back out for sale. Same guy pulls up a week later with the rest of the cash and his wife. Never test rode it or asked to.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Most dealers have several used bikes on their inventory. It would take a good incentive for a salesman to sell a consignment bike over a dealer owned bike. I would try cycle trader, Craigslist and Facebook marketplace first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2007 GL 1800
53 Posts
Cash only in advance, sell the bike before any test ride. If they absolutely hate it you can refund.
Either way it's their bike and their liability when they test ride it.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
When I sold my 2004 GW, the guy listened to it run and then asked for a test ride. I said I'll take you down the road behind me and he agreed. My wife was there and I told her if I caught her taking a picture she was walking home! We met 1/2 way, he lived in another state. I did a smooth take off and 1/2 mile ride. Then did a spirited take off through the gears. He said that's good, we can go back. 5 minute ride and he bought the bike.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Having tried CycleTrader and Ebay recently, I would advise not wasting your money on either either of those.

On cycle trader my mailbox filled up with Hadjis who were willing to pay anything. Obviously not real buyers

Ebay Ended with someone buying my bike. One of the Hadjis from cycle trader. Now it's in limbo showing sold on eBay. And I have to wait 10 days to relist. Not too hard to predict the outcome on that.

I've contacted both sites. They pretty well said this is just how it is. For these sites to survive, they need to start verifying people. Knowledge based verification like the e-sign systems use would go along way.

I would just stick with the GL forums and fscebook/Mewe groups. Those members may not be your buyer, but can definitely refer other's they know to your ad.

If a good buyer shows up, I'd let them ride as long as I am holding an amount that covers or exceeds my deductible. Every insurance policy I've had covers other drivers at no extra cost. If they total it, you've found a buyer. (Ins. company).

Lastly you could try leaving it sit with the key in . Of course who has ever heard of a GL being stolen.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Cash only in advance, sell the bike before any test ride. If they absolutely hate it you can refund.
Either way it's their bike and their liability when they test ride it.
If you have plates and insurance on it, is this absolutely true? If still registered to you, and or insured by you, is it possible for someone to come back on you in the event of an accident? I'm thinking more in the event of an injury to someone, not necessarily the bike. Any lawyers on board that could answer this?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I’m about 97% decided that it’s time to climb off. If you’ve sold a GL in the past yourself, how did you go about it so you weren't inviting people to come take rides on your bike ? I private sold HD back in 90s and the guy walked up to me with a hundred dollar bill and asked if I’d hold it for him. Didn’t even ask me to start it. When I sold my Interstate it as sort of the same. So how do I list it to attract only serious buyers? I’m half tempted, when I get to 100% sure, to ask a dealer if they’d sell it for 10% of the gross.
Thanks for your input.
I sold my last wing on ebay. I asked for a 500.00 deposit, and to to be paid in full with cash or a bank transfer when picking it up within 15 days. I had no problems at all. This way there were no tire kickers, or joy riders coming to the house.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts