GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 98' Time Out camper
I have a few questions for those members that either own or have owned a Time Out

I would like any advice and pointers Pros and Cons experiences with a Time Out camper...
I normally pull a cargo trailer for traveling,camping/Flyfishing(around 18,000 miles to date).So a camping trailer is new to me,almost looks alot bigger than I need??? I am used to a 2 man tent

My first question since I used a small pickup to pull the trailer home

1) How does it handle behind the wing?(seems like the tongue wieght unloaded was very light???

2) How do you tuck your canvas in the trailer? Mine came loose in the trailer taking up all the room...I saw this one on ebay for sale the canvas was either folded or rolled only using one side of the trailer for the canvas tent...So do you roll the canvas or fold it???

3) How does the center support poles go in the roof??? 2 have a curve 1 is straight???

4) What do you use to clean the canvas??? Mine looks pretty good,although it could use a light cleaning

5) How much gear can you haul inside the trailer?and do you haul on top of the trailer as well???

Thanks,Kevin Illusionblue_wing

Attachments

·
Registered
274 Posts
TO

I have the same trailer, a 2000 that I bought last year and towed on a 5000 mile trip thru CO,WY,MT,ID,OR,CA,NV,UT....The wing pulls it easily and corners very well, going downhill and stopping is when you really feel the weight of the camper, mine is probably 500 lbs loaded....anyway downhills and stopping is where the weight pushes, very noticably, so just ride accordingly....with a passenger, I towed this up the hills in CA that lead to Yosemite, Seq. park and then over Lake Isabelle...some steep grades and the bike got hot but did not overheat, 2) roll it,3) straight one in the middle 4) don't know 5) I fill the trailer, 2 folding chairs,electric power cord,air mattress,pump,plus whatever fits and have a cartop carrier, softbag strapped on top the trailer with all the bulky light stuff in it and things that I need quickly. I suggest you add an electric heated mattress pad and some wood wedges for leveling out the fold out legs. Trailer is easy and quick to set up and I still really like it after using it for about 20 days straight. Didn't leak a drop even on the OR coast....also get a couple spare trailer tires at Walmart..about $35 each before you travel. I'm gonna try towing with a car tire this year as it wears a flat spot around my motorcyclle tire. Thumbs up on the TO.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I just bought an '09 and made a 3000 mile trip last week down south.

It handles fine behind the wing. Mine weighs in between 450 and 500 lbs with a 5200 BTU a/c strapped to the top in a rubbermaid container. Tongue weight is around 35-40 lbs. You can move your bags around to balance it out. I pulled mine up to 80mph and with crosswinds of up to 50 mph for 4 hours trying to outrun a thunderstorm. Allow extra room for stopping . I'm running a Pirelli C/T on the rear. You'll notice a little pull when starting off and turning at the same time as you would if you stopped at a corner and then turned left or right from a stop sign. As soon as it gets straight it is fine. I didn't say it is a problem, I said you will notice it.

Watch the movie on the Time out site for tips on packing the canvas.
It comes with some straps to wrap around the canvas and pull tight. I bought 2 more at Academy. With 4 straps it pulls up tight and packs away real nice.

Staight pole in the middle

Haven't had to clean mine yet.

I carry 2 small chairs that fold and fit in the little bags.
2 sleeping bags
2 bags for clothes. One for me and one for the wife.
Air mattress
Air pump for mattress
Cordless LED work light
2 pillows
set of sheets
4 large towels
small bag with my wifes shoes and personal items
Small 4 cup coffee maker

I have a 12 battery and a cooler mounted on the tongue. A battery charger and inverter mounted inside plus 2 ea 12 volt receptacles.

The a/c fits inside a rubbermaid container together with the 25 ft cord, power strip, a/c stand, and other small items that are needed.

We really like ours.

·
Registered
231 Posts
what type of gas mileage do you get with your camper?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Mpg

while towing...lowest about 35-37 out on the west coast, up to 45 in the Colorado Mountains....normally I get 3-5 mpg more without the trailer and mostly ride on two lane roads under 55 mph. Without towing the best I have gotten is 52 mpg and the worst 39.

·
Registered
242 Posts
On my last trip I got 32 mpg running 70+ and about 35 running around 55 mph. This is riding 2 up.
Never saw more than 43 running 2 up w/o trailer. Normally riding alone I'll get about 38-39.
I've never seen over 45 like a lot of people claim and doubt I ever will.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really appreciate the great information and help Thanks :thumbup:

I have been away the last couple of days and just wanted to get back with everyone

Snowmark again thanks for the info...Sounds like you had a very nice trip up in the northwest states :cool:...I rode up in 07' through IA,NE,WY(Tetons&Yellostone).MT,ID,UT,CO,KS,...Beautiful country!!...I pulled my little Shorline trailer on the trip with my camping/flyfishing gear had a great time :thumbup:

Caipira Thanks for the informative post :thumbup:
Sounds like you have that Time Out Decked out :cool: Sounds very nice :thumbup:
That A/C sounds very appealing here in Missouri land of Humidity :p

I do have another question,what brand cooler came with the Time Out campers and what size cooler??? Thanks

I just hope the camper isn't larger than I need???...They're very nice...guess the little Shorline cargo trailer has really grown on me???...I completely restored the little trailer and pulled it through 18 states now...

98' Time Out

My little old 81' Shorline trailer

Hope I can still use both :shrug:

·
Registered
242 Posts
I think the cooler is a 25 quart Igloo marine. That's what my first trailer came with.
I bought the last one at Academy. I've seen larger coolers but have found the 25 qt to be good enough. Any more and you are going to have tongue weight problems.
While your'e at it pick up an extra drain.
Drill a hole in the bottom and glue the drain in with JB weld or something similar. Once the cooler is installed you'll never need to remove it again.
If you want to get fancy get the cooler cover from Timeout. Your ice will last longer because you won't have air getting in through the lid. Even a tight lid will leak some air at 70 mph.

·
Registered
274 Posts
cooler

I use a coleman steel cooler, it's about 50 qts and much larger than the stock time out cooler, I found that the steel ones stay colder much longer than plastic....just barely fits in the cooler spot. Had no problems with it fully loaded with ice and all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts