GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After driving to Trike Traders of Kissimmee Florida today, I can say with a smile its time for me to eat CROW.

This trike builder builds Champion, CSC and Hannigan trikes. I decided to give his version of the Champion Trike a test ride. This Champion rode far better than the two previous samples I wrote about yesterday.

I did not feel threatened at speed nor in turns as I did riding yesterday's riding Trikes by Tony's versions of their Champion Trike.

Doug from Trike Traders apparently knows how to put a solid Champion Trike together. His Champion version was set up near perfect and I have no squawk now with Champion trikes being unsafe, it all depends who's setting one up that apparently matters. So my apologies are in order to the Champion Trike owners.

I'll add my comments/post about the Hannigan's test ride in a moment.

Shucks, this color makes me look fat. :shock:

S

·
0 Posts
Glad to see you tried again and it was nice of you to post again. As I stated in my responce to your first post, the Champion you tested could not have been setup right. There isn't alot of set up but if not done right you would probably have the feeling you first listed. As I stated before you can't compare the rides between an indepentent and solid system. The solid is going to ride harder. But one thing that also has to be considered is the installer. If I had a CSC dealer closer to me I may have picked that model but it wasn't a choice for me. Don't get me wrong, by no means am I sorry I got a Champion but available service was important. Thanks again for posting. And if your ever in PA you can take mine for a ride.

Tom

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Spitzer said:
Glad to see you tried again and it was nice of you to post again. As I stated in my responce to your first post, the Champion you tested could not have been setup right. There isn't alot of set up but if not done right you would probably have the feeling you first listed. As I stated before you can't compare the rides between an indepentent and solid system. The solid is going to ride harder. But one thing that also has to be considered is the installer. If I had a CSC dealer closer to me I may have picked that model but it wasn't a choice for me. Don't get me wrong, by no means am I sorry I got a Champion but available service was important. Thanks again for posting. And if your ever in PA you can take mine for a ride.

Tom
Tom, you're so right. The proper set-up is very important. After we rode 2 different Champion Trikes from this one dealer, we were about to give up on Champion all together. Then yesterday we drove yet again to another dealer on the other side of Florida to test ride their Hannagan Trike who just happened to also build Champions and CSC.

I was reluctant to try the Champion Trike again since the day before's awful experience. But since some of you mentioned that it was quite possible that the set-up was incorrect. All three of us tried the Champion again and came back smiling, you all were correct. This Champion Trike was built right!

BTW our daughter is half way through her residency requirement as a family medicine physician in Sayer PA. She has another 18 months up there.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
My father lives around the corner from Tony's place.
So you're saying that Trike By Tony didn't set the trike up right?? Are you sure it wasn't just a traded trike you rode??? Doesn't sound like Tony and his team...
I believe they are primarily CSC dealers and from speaking with a few of thier guys, they really don't do others unless demanded by a customer..

S

·
0 Posts
Denny, Sayre is about 2 hours northwest of me so that invite is always open if your in the area. I'm right outside of Scranton, PA.

Tom

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
PunkinWing said:
My father lives around the corner from Tony's place.
So you're saying that Trike By Tony didn't set the trike up right?? Are you sure it wasn't just a traded trike you rode??? Doesn't sound like Tony and his team...
I believe they are primarily CSC dealers and from speaking with a few of thier guys, they really don't do others unless demanded by a customer..
Two days ago we stopped in at "Trikes by Tony" after we made an appointment the day before. We were met there by Rick Sparachino. The first Champion Trike brought out to the airport parking lot down the road was ridden by one of us three. Our 1st rider came back shaken from his ride. He stated it was nearly impossible to control, Rick then said, "I'll go get another Champion for you guys to try".

He came back a few minutes later with another Champion Trike. This one rode just slightly better according to our 1st rider. I took it for a test ride around the parking lot first, then on the back road next to the airfield. From this test ride is what I had written and posted about the Champion Trike being dangerous for public roads, and this was the better Champion of the two!

Rick then brought out the CSC Trike after our 3rd rider rode the Champion and stated the same observation for a consensus of three.

The CSC ride was excellent to all three of us riders, Rick did go out of his way to recommend the CSC over the Champion. Now I don't know why Rick would give us lame Champions to ride, especially since we made an appointment with him the day before and we traveled over 400 miles round trip. He also was made aware before hand, that one of us was very serious in ordering a trike build. Keep in mind that Rick rode all the trikes we tested first from his shop to the test area.

As a matter of fact, our riding buddy decided on a Champion Trike from "Trike Traders" this morning after yesterday's positive test ride there. Negotiations were completed over the phone earlier today. His decisions were based on the lesser width of the Champion so it would fit in his enclosed trailer, the simplistic rear end suspension, being able to waddle with his feet reaching the ground over the ground effects and of course the test ride sold him. We'll be dropping his Wing off in about a week and expects to get it back within 10 days after that. Me, I'm sold on the Hannigan for now, but I don't count since I'm not ready for a trike just yet.

I'm not flaming "Trikes by Tony" here, I'm only stating our side of this issue. Remember, I gave Tony's CSC Trikes an excellent review.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Spitzer said:
Denny, Sayre is about 2 hours northwest of me so that invite is always open if your in the area. I'm right outside of Scranton, PA.

Tom
Tom, thank you. I would like to extend an invitation as well if your in the South East Florida area. I know some great places to eat, I mean ride. :roll:

S

·
0 Posts
Denny, funny you should mention that. I will be in Maimi next Saturday we are going on a cruise. Wish I had time to stop. Won't have the trike.

Tom

I

·
0 Posts
I hope you got a young tender crow to eat. I have had to eat a few that were tough and strong. :lol:

Enjoy that Champion. You made a good choice. Apparently the bad one you first tried was poorly installed. The guy had to be a dufus to screw up the install of a Champion. Mine has been a joy.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
You will enjoy your Champion even more when you see how little maintenance ever needs to be done with it. They are built like a tank and handle like a race car. Glad to hear your another member of the Champion family!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Denny, I only wish you had posted your blurb one week earlier. After reading your original post, I sold my Champion trike.

I now realize that was a mistake. I am going back tomorrow and see if I can buy it back from the dealer I unloaded it to. I thought I was ripping him off, but alas, I was the one taking it in the neck.

But I must remember, "there is a purpose for all things". :wink: :wink:

All kiddin' aside, I agree w/ the majority out here, there is no bad trike kit on the market. No Edsels on the lot, they are all "sponge worthy". (If you are not a Seinfeld fan, ignore the last comment). :lol: :lol:

Good luck, you will enjoy any trike you throw your leg over.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I sure enjoy my Champion orange trike. This summer will be my 5th riding season with it. We have some really nice trips planned. I hear Bulldog wants to take it for a ride. Does anyone have any comments about his riding skills???? :?: :?: :?:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I love my Champion Trike

We bought our Goldwing Trike kit from Madness Cycle.
I have ridden the Motor Trike,Hannigan, and the Roadsmith...Champion was BY FAR the best ride. Not only that, they let you build it yourself...they shipped it straight to my home...complete...I didn't have to buy anything else!!! Excellent!!
The owner walked us through the process and it was very easy. Plus we save about $1000 from the regular retail price...I highly recommend Tony @ Madness Cycle!! 615-653-5562 or http://www.madnesscycle.com

·
Registered
522 Posts
Guy's here we go again, this Post is from Feburary 2007 / and Tony's Trikes is out of business as of a few months ago..... so stop it / Don't Post On Old Threads.....!!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was reluctant to try the Champion Trike again since the day before's awful experience. But since some of you mentioned that it was quite possible that the set-up was incorrect. All three of us tried the Champion again and came back smiling, you all were correct. This Champion Trike was built right!
I did reply on the other thread and do not want to miss this chance to say it again.
I love my Champion IRS Trike. It corners like a sports car, runs absolutely straight at any speed, no tire vibration with standard balance. Runs like its turbine powered. No chronic maintenance issues. Just give it some throttle and hang on! We live in the mountains, Prescott Valley, AZ. Lots of switchbacks all around us here. I'm not going to speak to other trike kits although I have test ridden many different manufacturer's kits at the Arizona Trike Shop in Dewey-Humbolt. Obviously my first choice was Champion. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
I have a 2006 Goldwing Champion S/A Trike which I bought band new. I have almost 50,000 trouble free miles on it.
I wouldn't trade it for any other one.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I bought a 2005 Champion solid axle about three years ago. It's solid. Handles well and looks great. I'm happy with it .

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I bought a 2005 Champion solid axle about three years ago. It's solid. Handles well and looks great. I'm happy with it .
I chose Champion S/A on my 2010 not only for the chance to save over $1000. but I liked the simplicity of S/A that gives work truck reliability. Only need to lube the u-joint with a couple squirts of grease every 3-5,000 miles and change the differential fluid at 30,000 miles.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I bought a used 2009 Champion IRS this past spring. I was just about to give up on it after 1500 miles because of its very poor handling on mountain pass curves. After researching the problem I decided to stiffen the rear shocks significantly. I think the problem is Champion sends these suspension kits out,to the dealers with instructions to set shocks to the very softest setting. I increased the setting to that described in the Champion book to handle pulling a trailer. WOW, what a difference. The Champion trike handles like a pro now and I am preparing for a cross country trip...something I would never have considered 3 months ago.
Champion didn't make the shock adjustment process quick or easy but I now count myself as a very satisfied Champion trike owner....BTW, I did test drive the Hannigan and Roadsmith but consider the Champion kit to be the best value of price vs performance.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts