GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, after adamently defending the Passport 8500 over the last two years, I finally took the plunge & got a Valentine One.

Yes, the arrows & bogie counter got me... lol

Been watching ebay regularly, just waiting for a good deal (NOT a GREAT deal offered by someone with few feedbacks... lol).

Just closed on an auction, paid $310 (plus $14 s/h) for a V1.7 AND the remote audio unit. Not too bad for $450 worth of equipment.

I still beleive in the 8500 and will give it to my SO to use in her car... although I might just run both for a bit... just to do my own side-by-side test.

The 8500 is a great unit, and as I have said all along, if you can't afford a V-1 and the accessories to make it work on the bike, the 8500 is as good, in not better in some situations, at detecting radar. I was very happy with it's performance.

But, being a typical guy, the "gadget factor" pushed me over the edge ;)

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Mike - having lived up in Washington for a year early in my career, it might be a good idea to keep both units running side by side. Like their brethren in the state immediately south of you, Washington LEO's do tend to be extremely zealous in their pursuit of the speeder going a mile or two above the legal boundaries. It will be interesting to see how you like your Valentine compared to the 8500. Generally all reviews of either are biased, so no one ever gives you an objective opinion.

I do like my V1 I recently purchased and am still getting familiar with it. I do appreciate seeing the direction the signal is coming from, but do find a high amount of false alarms too so I've "almost" become complacent. For that reason alone, I have rejected inputting the signal with a Kennedy unit or I would forever be listening to radar alarms instead of music, my CB or the SPIII.

It's been about 15 years since my last ticket so the jury is still out on the merits of a radar unit, but with the Wing I find I have traveled outside of California frequently so for those times it has become almost a necessity.

Look forward to your report,

DaleC

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was the one thing (other than price) that made me initially choose the 8500, because the V1, from the tests I saw, had a little higher false rate. Of course the diehard V1 fans would just say "that is why you have the arrows, to weed out some of the falses." BUT, if I am going fast enough to NEED the radar detector, then the time it takes for me to proces hearing the tones, looking at the arrows, and applying the brake is needed, could be the difference in getting a ticket or not. If you can't be fairly sure when you get a tone, it's the real deal, you are going to spend your time hitting the brakes and never get anywhere anyway... lol

My 8500 has been worth it's weight in gold and payed for its self many times over. But a radar detector is just a tool, and there are a whole lot more that goes into riding smart and staying out of trouble. Too many folks think it is all they need, turn it on and blaze on down a deserted highway, and then wonder why they get popped. When you are all alone and the only one in the crosshairs... nothing will save you! (nothing legal anyway... lol)

I'll let y'all know how it goes... of course you'll have to wait until March :(

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've had a V1 for several years. I listened to others about the 8500 and how good it is, so I bought one. After buying the 8500, a month or so later I decided to get a Solo2 to have a unit that I could run without batteries. It made using it on the Wing a lot easier not having to plug it in. All 3 do a good job, but there are advantages to the V1 in my opinion. When it alarms, I feel better knowing which direction to look for the source and if there is more than one source. Another thing, in Virginia, if you use a detector, it's illegal. Bad law I think, and nobody has gotten it changed yet. My experience with the Solo is that the detector - detectors the police use will find your Solo, from quite a far distance. I've never had a problem with either the V1 or 8500 being detected, that I know of, but I have seen a cruiser turn sharply around on a divided highway and come along side our group of 3 bikes, one at a time, while I was using the Solo2. We were not speeding at all, and there was no other reason that I could think of for his action. I happened to notice him in my rear view mirror when he slowed to turn around so the Solo2 was cut off. I believe he had detected my detector. I don't ues that Solo2 in Va. anymore. My V1 is old and outdated so I'm sure the 8500 has some advantages for types or radar or lazer, which mine doesn't even have, but overall, around my area of the country, I still trust the V1 more than the 8500. As far as the Solo2, it is great for travel on the bike when I get out of Va.

That's my opinion and I'm not trying to say one is better than the other. I am saying you need to trust the equipment if you are depending on it, and I feel a little more comfortable with the V1.

·
I U Turn
888 Posts
Pardon, I haven't looked into radar detectors at all. But how can a LEO
detect a detector? They don't send out a siginal do they? Just curious.
Mick :?: :yw1:

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jim,
Word on the LD Rider list is that the V1 is safe from the detector police in VA, but NOT in Canada.

Think the source quoted an email they got from from Mike Valentine. As with anything on the net... who knows if it is true, but I have no reason to doubt the source.

What a pain :x

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Actually, they do put out a signal...

...All modern receivers of one type of another, including radar detectors (receivers) process their signals though the use of an oscillator. As a result, they emit a weak signal during their processing. You better radar detectors are designed such that, through shielding or another method, they do not allow that signal to excape the detector. If you have a detector, you probably know that many of your false alarms come from this signal from other detectors. LEOs in states that do not allow radar detectors use a "radar detector detector" to pick up these spurious signals when the "illegal" detector is turned on. So, if you have a good, modern unit (such as the V1 or the 8500), they do not release any of this energy which can be detected by the "detector detectors."

I generally stay within a reasonable speed of the speed limit so am not worried that much about speeding tickets in general. I have an 8500 and like it very much. I have a power cord where it plugs in at the left handlebar and also the alarm output plugs into my audio -- Kennedy cords used for this. Where I find that it saves my bacon the most is when I enter small towns, etc.
:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
I KNOW YOU ALL ARE TALKING ABOUT RADAR DETECTORS, BUT HAS ANYONE USED THE RADAR JAMMERS AND IF SO WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON THE COST AND EFFECTIVENESS OF THESE UNITS

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Radar Detectors used in a side by side test.

Radar detectors emit a small amount of RF (radio frequency). It makes them able to detect weaker signals from radar units. If you mount them side by side to do a comparison test they will interfer with each other as the two seperate units each pick up some of the other units RF. There by invalidating any results that you might get. I would suggest the following link if you are interested in some unbiased radar detector results.

http://www.speedzones.com/

When it comes to radar jamming, it is against the law. Radar emissions are controlled by the FCC and radar jamming is illegal. However laser emmissions are regulated by the FDA and you are free to emit or jam to your hearts content since the FDA does not prohibit it. Modern Laser speed measuring units are able to tell (the operating LEO) when they are being jammed, so be careful.

Anyway check out the speedzones link it has some very good info on all detectors, probably even the one you use.

TexWalter

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
After looking at that web site about radar-detector detectors (RDD), now I guess we need radar-detector-detector detectors (RDDD)! :roll:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Bob, I'm not positive but I think that is what the VG2 setting does on the Solo2 I have. It's my understanding, when the detector (Solo2) detects a detector, it shuts down for a few seconds to allow the officer to get out of range. Mine didn't work fast enough for me, but I just happened to see him turn around and then I turned the unit off manually. He rode beside me for about a mile and then turned around and went away. This could have been a coincidence, but I'll never trust that Solo around here anymore.

Actually, I try not to speed too much anyway, I just think it is my right to know if I am a target for a speed trap. And another thing, if you are in traffic, there is a good chance someone else could cause you to get picked up by mistake. As much as they try to be accurate with the radar, there are mistakes made and I cannot afford to be the one they make the mistake on.

You can go back to the track log on your GPS and download the data to determine the time and speed where you were stopped, just to compare his reading with yours. I don't know if it would help with the judge but it's better than his word against yours.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts