GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all it's finally time to get that new front tire. As i said in the past i have come to feel the standard motorcycle tire is wholly insufficient. It has limited mileage, high replacement cost and does not handle well on a trike.

I want to replace it with the car tire option. I need to know which tire to buy and were i can get it installed in Vegas. i am aware there are shops that won't put it on, i do not know which ones will or won't. :thumbup:

For those that are not familiar with me i ride a GoldWing 1800 D.F.T. Trike with the factory front suspension, wheel and fender. :thumbup:

Thank you very much for the help

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is that what a tire costs cuz i was told in the past that there is a tire that will fit the front wheel of a goldwing :thumbup:

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
I am not aware of any tire that will fit, due to the suspension. There used to be a company called Eurowing that sold a kit to convert the front end to accept a CT, but I am not sure they are still in business. Their kit was around $4200-$4500.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
If you are referring to the double darkside reference, many use the battleaxe. Not sure which one that is but it is a rear MC tire. Supposed to be better than the front MC tire.
Good luck.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok yes they are still in buisness. and no i don't wan't to buy a complete new front end i was told in the past on this site that there is a tire that will fit the goldwing wheel. i am fully aware of the option you are talking about.

i see you run a ct on your wing did you get the special front end?

Thank you

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
I have a CT on the rear only, and run a Bridgestone G709 moto tire on the front. Many folks are using a tire intended for the rear of another motorcycle on the front of their wing. Those tires have much more tread. I don't use one because I don't want the additional unsprung weight on the front. Plus, from reading reports, those tires have their own issues.

Putting such a moto rear tire on the front of the wing makes one a double darksider.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the clarification

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Question?

If you all are running rear bike tires on the front of your bikes and ct's on the rear. Than would not the ct you are running also fit on the front?

You see when you trike a bike it no longer uses the sides of the tire. So if the ct will fit than it is usable. Yes even if the fender has to be taken off or replaced or modified.

I am assuming i mearly need to find a tire the same size?

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
I have never tried to put a CT on the front. The issue I see you would have (on your trike) would be inadequate clearance for the forks, rotors and fenders halves. You might be able to find a CT that fits but I am just not aware of one. Someone on the Trike forum might know.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Found my answer

Apperantly you can use a michelin pilot active tire. I found out that you need to reverse the direction on the rotation as well. this will work on trikes.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
I believe this is a rear motorcycle tire used on the front. No one on the Darkside runs what you call a CT on the front. They run rear motorcycle tires on the front which we call them double darksiders. Ther are a few to choice from the one you mentioned the Metzler Lazertech the Bridgestone BT45 and a couple of others I don't use one so just trying to remember what I have read here. Most reverse the direction of these tires I know. Good luck with your search but I have never heard of a CT that fits the front rim of a 1800

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes i was informed i was remembering wrong thats why i asked

thank you for helping me remember

1 - 15 of 15 Posts