GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! My name is Donnie Joe. (Southern boys have to have two first names) I've been lurking around for a few days and I have decided to join in. I don't own a Gold Wing, but I do plan to own one some day. I ride a VTX 1300 S. My wife rides a 750 Aero. We live in Russellville, Arkansas and we love riding around the Ozarks together.

I've been a member of the VTXOA forum for three years and I have really enjoyed sharing and learning about my bike. It's a fine machine and I love it.

Before I buy a Gold Wing, I want to learn as much as I can so I can make an informed purchase. I've also noticed that there is a lot more information on this forum about riding and trips. I love reading a good trip report.

I'm looking forward to getting to know you all!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Welcome and enjoy this site.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Water's warm(and everything else) so jump on in here!
WELCOME, from N.W. Arkansas

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Welcome aboard DonnieJoe! Enjoy the ride down GL1800 forum lane!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Welcome!

Greetings from Mountain Home. Glad to have another Arkansas rider. Hopefully, you're dream of a Wing will happen soon. Until then, keep plowing our wonderful twisties.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Welcome aboard and hope you find the perfect Wing for you! Did they tell you black was the fastest color! :thumbup:

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Greetings from Mountain Home. Glad to have another Arkansas rider. Hopefully, you're dream of a Wing will happen soon. Until then, keep plowing our wonderful twisties.
It's great to be here. I rode Push Mountain Road to Norfork two weeks ago, so I was practically in your back yard. We've got a lot of fun at the end of our driveway here in Arkansas.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Welcome to you and the Mrs. Dont be afraid to ask questions and give your opinion. You will really enjoy the GL1800 whenever you get one. I have never once regretted buying mine.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Welcome to the board.

Until about 5 weeks ago I'd been on a VTX as well. On a bit of a whim I bought an 08 wing. I still have the X, but it hasn't gotten out of the garage since the purchase of the wing.

I notice an SO in the profile picture that you posted. If there is a consideration in making her happy then pull the trigger. The wing is so much more comfortable for the SO that it is rediculous. Within 2 weeks of buying the wing my SO was asleep in the passenger seat.

If you are concernedabout a performance drop from the X please put that aside. The wing outperforms the X in every conceivable way. Acceleration is way better. Steering is effortlessly simple. Breaking is significantly more consistent.

I was initially intimidated by all of the buttons, switches and levers, but quickly discovered that this bike is so easy to ride that you have plenty of room to monitor everything around you.

The only mistake that I made was not purchasing the wing much earlier.

Just do it. Learning as you go is just part of the fun:lol:
Jason

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Welcome DJ

Check out the Rides and Events forum for the Harrison Gathering in October. Very informal and a great way to put names with faces.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
We've got a lot in common...

Both in the south
I've got three names (the second two are just part of a nickname)
I've had an Aero 750
I've had a VTX 1300 (R)
Also a member of VTXOA

I hope to have more in common soon! Welcome aboard from the Shenandoah Valley!

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Welcome

Well ... we at least share one first name in common. From one Donnie to another Donnie ... Welcome. You'll enjoy this board. If you like to Read Road trip you'll find some of mine on my web site below.

Welcome to the forum.

Donnie

·
Registered
269 Posts
Donnie Joe, you sir are in deep doo doo. A couple of years ago I was in the same boat you are in now. I had a V-twin (Vulcan) that I loved but wanted to know what was the big deal about a Wing. I loved my Vulcan but wanted a touring bike with lockable hard bags so I lurked for a bit and did my homework. My very first test ride on a Wing cost me $19,500 plus tax and plates. I rode my Vulcan in just to check it out and took the Wing home. Since your wife likes to ride I got off a lot lighter than you will. If she ever rolls that throttle back you are going to have to buy two or be the passenger. 21 months and 28,000 miles later I doubt I will ever buy anything other than a Wing, your mileage may vary. Good Luck and COME ON DOWN.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Well ya ain`t got far to go fer a Wing--bought mine in Russellville 2 years ago--good folk--and hey--howdy from TEXAS:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts