GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike has been tucked in the corner of my garage since this record breaking, horrendous winter began. Heavy rain last night got rid of the snow/ice. Supposed to be 54dg tomorrow....will take advantage of this before single digits return next week.

I will have to watch out for all the sand on the roads but I can't take it any longer and looking forward to getting back in the saddle:thumbup:.

Anyone else waking up from hibernation tomorrow?

Dan

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
My bike has been tucked in the corner of my garage since this record breaking, horrendous winter began. Heavy rain last night got rid of the snow/ice. Supposed to be 54dg tomorrow....will take advantage of this before single digits return next week.

I will have to watch out for all the sand on the roads but I can't take it any longer and looking forward to getting back in the saddle:thumbup:.

Dan
Man o man, I envy you. There is still 18" of snow on the lawn and only 36 degrees today. Not warm enough to melt much and is going to freeze again tonight.

Wife and I shoveled 2" of icy slush from the driveway last night and the concrete is dry.

I will ride as soon as we have a GOOD rain that washes all of the salt dust and residue away.

Gramps

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Sorry for you; been riding all winter (except for actual snow/ice days) even in the frigid temps. They're calling for 60 degrees here tomorrow. I'll be out riding. They're calling for more arctic temps by end of next week. I'll be out riding. :yes1:

Dan

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for you; been riding all winter (except for actual snow/ice days) even in the frigid temps. They're calling for 60 degrees here tomorrow. I'll be out riding. They're calling for more arctic temps by end of next week. I'll be out riding. :yes1:
It has not been the cold that's kept me off the bike...I love riding in normal winter temps. This has been the first day that the rural country roads I live on have not been snow/ice covered since early December. Not sure about your area but for us Hoosiers this is the worst winter in recorded history.

Enjoy your ride,
Dan

·
Registered
195 Posts
Amen brother, the bikes been in the barn waiting for a clear path to the garage all January. It's finally clear and now a weeks worth of maintenance.

Watch the potholes
Tim

·
Registered
8,544 Posts

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
Main roads are fairly clear, still have sections of ice on the road up to 3 inches thick in the subdivision. Plus all the salt dust still out there. Until a good rain or two and no chance of frozen surprises - bike stays under cover in the garage. This is the usual winter mode - rather like being out to sea - no sense getting channel fever till you actually see the channel buoys (means no sense getting worked up over something you can't change).

But I'm thinking I'll also wait till they fill in some of the sinkholes they call potholes around here. Saw half a dozen cars off to the side of the road changing flat tires from pothole impacts today.

But riding season will be along shortly, along with all the warm weather honey-do's that seem to take precedence.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Amen brother, the bikes been in the barn waiting for a clear path to the garage all January. It's finally clear and now a weeks worth of maintenance.

Watch the potholes
Tim
i hear ya Tim, next best thing to riding the bike is working on the bike getting it ready to ride. My plan is to ride out a tankful of gas with Chevron Techron mixed in then come home and change the oil/anxious to put the ZZDP that Fred Harmon spoke about and see if it makes a difference.
Then it looks like bike will be parked for a while again as more snow is forecasted for Sunday/Monday.

Larry & Ssncob, I will be pointed South today. Plan to take my usual US421 route down to KY, cross the bridge then follow the river making a loop back. Hopefully there won't be too many potholes. Doesn't look like I will be making my IB ride to the Mac Bridge & back for a while yet.

Sun is coming up here & not a cloud in the sky. Take care,
Dan

·
Registered
147 Posts
Rode to work today for the first time this year. A little chilly this morning and the roads aren't really up to riding standards, but oh well. I know how ticked I get when the weather warms up in the afternoon and I see a bike on the road when I'm driving the cage.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rode to work today for the first time this year. A little chilly this morning and the roads aren't really up to riding standards, but oh well. I know how ticked I get when the weather warms up in the afternoon and I see a bike on the road when I'm driving the cage.
:thumbup: Picked mine up from the dealer after work and rode home.

That's a good looking bike you got. I like all the color matched parts.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
[ Plan to take my usual US421 route down to KY, cross the bridge then follow the river making a loop back. Hopefully there won't be too many potholes. Doesn't look like I will be making my IB ride to the Mac Bridge & back for a while yet.

Dan[/QUOTE]
Dan,
Ever ride down to Smithfield Kentucky and eat at "Our Best Restaurant"? Great ride. Great food.
Dave

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
[ Plan to take my usual US421 route down to KY, cross the bridge then follow the river making a loop back. Hopefully there won't be too many potholes. Doesn't look like I will be making my IB ride to the Mac Bridge & back for a while yet.

Dan
Dan,
Ever ride down to Smithfield Kentucky and eat at "Our Best Restaurant"? Great ride. Great food.
Dave[/QUOTE]

Hello Dave, no I have not. Didn't know that place existed. I checked that place out and that would be a great ride and looks to be my kinda grub. Will put that trip on my to do list. Maybe a RTE with fellow hoosier or KY wingers?

Thanks and take care,
Dan

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
Dan,
Dave
Hello Dave, no I have not. Didn't know that place existed. I checked that place out and that would be a great ride and looks to be my kinda grub. Will put that trip on my to do list. Maybe a RTE with fellow hoosier or KY wingers?

Thanks and take care,
Dan[/QUOTE]

What about us Michigander's, Dan? We like to eat too. Don't try to keep ALL the good places to yourselves.
thecruiser

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Larry you're so darn skinny I didn't think you ate and only drank water. Of course anyone would be welcome IF ever such a RTE was planned. I gotta feeling Road Runner and is R&R group have been there because that's right down in the area he rides in. Another ride to look forward to this spring.

You could ride down from Michigan on a Friday, then we could ride there for a Saturday RTE lunch and then ride back to Michigan on a Sunday. See....I got it all planned out for you:thumbup:.

Dan

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
Larry you're so darn skinny I didn't think you ate and only drank water. Of course anyone would be welcome IF ever such a RTE was planned. I gotta feeling Road Runner and is R&R group have been there because that's right down in the area he rides in. Another ride to look forward to this spring.

You could ride down from Michigan on a Friday, then we could ride there for a Saturday RTE lunch and then ride back to Michigan on a Sunday. See....I got it all planned out for you:thumbup:.

Dan
Down on a Sat/home on a Sunday,... I can deal with that! :thumbup:
Our Best Restaurant's menu... my kinda food.
It's a plan, Dan.
thecruiser

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
Did you not come to Florida this year? was at Pauls Kitchen Wauchula last week RTE
Yes, we were in Lake Wales during Jan & Feb. The end of Feb we moved up to Macon GA.
There weren't too many RTE's nearby. I tried to get one going at Cherry Pocket buy it died due to lack of interest.
thecruiser

·
Registered
1,089 Posts

Sounds like a plan!

·
Registered
8,544 Posts

Sounds like a plan!
Yup, works for me!
thecruiser

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wake Up Hoosiers!

Did you see the forecast for next week:thumbup:. I feel a sick day coming on late next week sometime. Think we've made it over the hump!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts