GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning a ride around the us border, or 4 corners. Not an endurance run or race. I am looking for input as to the best ime to start out. Tinking of Key West, Brownsville, El Paso, San Diego, Washington, Maine, down the east coast and back to Parsons, TN. I plan to take my time and see things. A lot of these areas I have never been in before. Your input would be appreciated.

Thanks John

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
I realize that this is not the same ride as a 48/10 but for those rides it seems that the middle part of May is when most are done.

Good luck on the four corners tour it is one that is on my list as well.

·
Registered
165 Posts
My wife and I did the SCMA 4 corner tour ( http://www.usa4corners.org/ )
in 04 . We started on June 20 / the first day of summer so we could have the
most daylight, West Texas was very hot 100 + but only a burden when you stopped, but when we got to the upper peninsula of Michigan we had a very long
COLD wet day and some dry cold days as we crossed southern Canada to get to Maine. We started in Key West and went west from there. It was by far the best trip of our lives. Here is a link to the blog we did on the trip
http://jandr4corners.blogspot.com/
This is just a fantastic way to see the USA.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I also did the SMCA 4 corner ride. It allows 21 days from the start to the finish, so there is not any real rush to get it done. I avoided the coast line on the East coast and went the length of the Blue Ridge Parkway and we still finished in 17 days. We originally were going to start it in the fall so we planned a clockwise route but when we had to delay until the spring, we changed to a counter-clockwise route. We left Ridgecrest, CA and took a week to get to Key West, FL where we were officially "one the clock". Nice time except when beating our way West across the mid-west.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
For the west coast, there are two ways to go. One is beat your brains out riding up I-5 and seeing asphalt with a few good spots, the other is coming up California 1 and US 101 and seeing a lot of good spots. But it will take a day or two longer.

Summer the Pacific Coast is nice, but can be cool and foggy. Spring and fall will be cool with chances of local rain, but not much. Winter would be cool and wet. Did I mention cool? Here you can wear just one shirt year around - a sweatshirt. But it become a wet sweatshirt all winter.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't want to do this in a 21 day run but rather take my time and go the long way. As with down through the big bend area of Texas instead of stright across. Had thought of going to Daytona Bike week and on to Key West from there but I think it might put me in the noth west way to early.
Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts