GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Months ago I got back into riding on an 1800cc WING. I'll never see
59 again and with the onset of a hearing loss, I jumped at the chance to outfit us with helmets and headsets.
One day on a country ride I was blasted with a CB signal from a "linear" or a "skip" signal that literally tore my hearing apart, all in an instance. I couldn't react quickly enough to it.
An ugly word named "TINNITIS" has entered my life. When I ride the bike I use ear plugs before putting on the helmet, I notice tire roar as I pass big
18 wheelers is becoming unbearable while I ride and the constant ringing in my ears while I'm home or at work seems only to be getting louder.
I want to get on the bike and ride forever but I realize Father Time is winning.
What can anyone who has this problem and uses hearing aids or other devices suggest ?????? The doctor said there is no cure for tinnitus......
Your reply is welcome,

Thanks and ride safely,

Dave

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Moulded Ear Plugs

What you need is moulded ear plugs. I bought a pair at the last Honda Hoot from a vendor. Basically, they fill your ear with a silly putty like gunk which moulds to your ear. After it sets, they remove the ear plugs, treat them and a day later, they are ready. A red dot is in the right one so you know which is which.

Don't have the info here, but ask around. This WILL SOLVE your hearing problem. They work great and are worth every penny.

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
I have dealt with tinnitus for decades. Folks that do not suffer with this can not fully understand what it is like to have the ring - roar- buzz in your ears 24-7

My hearing is damaged from loud noise of race cars and large caliber fire arms that I fired often with no ear protection.

I can hear most junk noise well... most human voices not so well.

My audiogram is typical of a 50+ fellow with damaged hearing. The tinnitus causes my word comprehension to be lower.

I can not afford hearing aids, so that is not an option for me at this time.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I can't remember when I did not have tinnitis. I think I was in my 20s when I noticed it. I wear ear plugs for everything, riding, grinding, running the lawn mower, shooting, and running the vacuum cleaner. I have trouble sleeping, and a low noise, usually by my Zune (like ipod) seems to help, but you need to watch the volume, so as not to aggrivate the tinnitis. I hope a cure is found. I understand certain hearing aids can produce a sound, that tricks your ears into "forgetting" the tinnitis for a short time. The best thing is to somehow learn to ignore it, but that is easier said than done! I wish you the best, and hope you find a way to reduce the effect. If you ever figure that out, please pm me, and tell me what you did, I'd be next in line. For me, resting well, and time spent away from loud noises may be the 2 things that you do have control over, that will help. My friend in the hearing aid business tells me I can ride and be around loud noises, so long as I use hearing protection when doing so.

·
Registered
77 Posts
tinnitus

I'm 52 and have had tinnitus for years of loud music as a kid and firearms. I have had a few Doctors tell me that there is nothing to do about it as well. But its been a few years since I've seen a Doctor about this and have just seen something on TV recently about this and there might be something on the market soon to help. I'm looking on the internet for it and have not found it yet but still looking, It's driving me crazy too! Good luck with it.

·
Licensed Tooth Torturer
4,663 Posts
I have had tinnitis for years and have grown used to it. My problems are similar to those mentioned above.

I've asked about hearing aids but have been told I do not need them and they would do no good.

I wear ear plugs every time I ride in an effort to save the hearing I have left. My audiologist says my hearing is normal for a person my age with hearing loss.

I like the idea of fitted plugs but have not used them....yet.

Hope you are able to find a solution to allow you to keep riding......I know that would be tough to give up.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I have had tinnitus for over 5 years now. Generally I am able to just ignore it, irritating though it may be. I have hearing aids that give a small amount of help, but won't wear them when riding. I just use the soft plugs available at any drug store.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Just like ReRide I've had it ever since I can remember. I used to think that everyone had a slight ringing noise in the ears when it was quiet. Mine got worse after eight years in an aircraft carrier engine room. I can now hear it all the time. As I get busy during the day I tend to forget it's there but it is always noticable when I go to bed or when I put in ear plugs. In time you get used to it. I put plugs in any time I'm going to be riding farther that just a few miles and anytime I'm going to be going faster than 60mph. I say just put in the ear plugs and ride. Since I've started being careful it's not gotten worse but I expect it to as I get older.

:popcorn:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Well, I am 35 and I have had it for as long as I care to remember now... It is worse at quiet times like laying in bed before falling asleep or camping by myself. I have come to notice that days when things are less noisy around me it is worse. I think that noisy environments distract me from the sound. Wearing ear plugs makes it worse for me. I have a set of Shure sound isolating earphones that I wear when I ride and days when the office is quiet. I have found that it helps me a lot.

If you have not seen a doctor about this you should. Loud noises are not the only cause of this problem. Fatigue is a big contributor to the sound. It has also been correlated to memory problems.

It has it's benefits too... My wife's voice seems to be right at the pitch that my tone cancels out.

·
Registered
661 Posts
One thing that may be of some help.
I have found that using NSAIDS-asprin, ibuprophen, naproxin or any "pain" medicine make the tinnitus worse. I hope this helps in some small way.

"Even in the quietest moments" ........Don

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Like others over 60, I have it too. I wear custom fitted earplug/monitors to listen to the radio on the bike and just enjoy the ride. My ringing usually increases in the evening and when everything else is quiet. It is rarely a real problem but always with me.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Tinnitis

I don't know anything that will help but I have seen ads on TV for Lipoflaviniod that says it helps. You might ask your doctor about it. In the mean time to keep from getting blasted you may want to use your speakers instead of earphones for cb radio

·
Registered
999 Posts
the ringing in my ears gets louder when I put earplugs in. Sounds help to "deaden" the effect.

My doctor says that there are some High Tech devices that are worn in the ear that can be tuned to the frequency of your hearing loss/damage. They sort of "override" the ringing. White noise, so to speak.

He also told me they cost about $15,000 by the time you're done.

If I could have a choice between being deaf in my left ear and the 24 hour a day ringing, I'd take deaf.

I've found that the quality of the headsets make a great deal of difference in how well I hear music and conversation. I prefer the "cheaper" J & M sets. They don't have quite the frequency response of the more expensive ones. I don't need the high frequency, can't hear in that range anyway.

There is no cure for ear ringing, but you can do some things to help.

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
One thing that may be of some help.
I have found that using NSAIDS-asprin, ibuprophen, naproxin or any "pain" medicine make the tinnitus worse. I hope this helps in some small way.
I have found the same. Also, I try to avoid the things that tend to give me headaches. They tend to make the ringing worse. Neck strain, over-concentration on computer monitor, eating bell peppers, if I then take Ibuprophen it makes it even worse. Sometimes I can forget it, but THANK YOU VERY MUCH I'LL HEAR IT ALL NIGHT NOW! Oh, well. At least it doesn't hurt, and I don't have anything to listen to tonight. I guess my biggest problem is understanding children's voices. Luckily, I teach adults. I don't like wearing ear plugs, and have tried them all. Some of the soft plugs I can tolerate for about an hour, then they drive me nuts.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I am 53 and have had this problem for about 4 years and have grown used to it. For me it comes and goes in intensity. Like some others, I have had 2 hearing tests done and have normal hearing for a person my age. Sometimes I think it's also allergy related. NSAIDs do increase the ringing I believe. I have tried custom earplugs and just don't like them. Block out the wind and all you hear is ringing. I wear a full face helmet and look through the windshield and really don't believe the wind noise on the wing is that bad unless your spending hours on the highway or cranking up music while riding. I believe the years on the flight decks, loud concerts, riding a sport bike, and noise from shooting guns did me in. My ears are ringing away as I write this but it is just a way of life as there really is not much you can do. Do not get sucked up in gimmicks. I really don't think there is much you can do to get rid of the problem. Growing older sucks and like the aches and pains, a good attitude goes along way to handling most things.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Tinnitus caused by loud noises is permanent. I try and mask mine by playing music at a low volume to compete with the ringing. I hear no trebles but do OK with voice. If there is competing noise such as several people talking at the same time I can't understand anybody. I know this is long but some might find the info helpful.

Tinnitus Causes
To help people understand what tinnitus is, they need to know what are the tinnitus causes. The causes of tinnitus can be explained better if one is aware of the structure of the cochlea. The cochlea, which is located in the inner ears, has very tiny hair cells which are made up of very sensitive nerve endings. The hair cells are the ones responsible for delivering the sound waves coming from the environment into the brain of the person for interpretation.

Whenever we listen to any type of sound, the hair cells vibrate. But when the sound is too loud or noisy, the vibration becomes too rigorous and can be damaging to the hair cells. When the hair cells are damaged, they do not regenerate and at this point a person may begin to experience some hearing problems in the absence of a normal functioning hair cells. At this stage, the brain would start looking for the sound waves and as it continues to desperately attempt to receive the sound waves, it would begin to make crazy sounds by an action that sort of short circuits itself. The produced noise is known as tinnitus noise. The hair cells may also be damage due to old age and this condition is called presbycusis.

Damage to the hair cells is just one of the tinnitus causes, there are several other causes:

• Ototoxic Drugs – There are certain medicines when taken in large doses and for a prolonged period that can have toxic effect to the ears. This must be checked with the physician who prescribed the drug so as not to forgo the treatment.
  • Head and Neck Injury – When the neck and head is subjected to injury, the trauma can damage the inner ears.
  • AtherosclerosisThe elasticity and flexibility of the blood vessels may be affected by several factors like age, cholesterol build up and fatty deposits. When this happens, the blood vessels in the middle and inner ears will have problems as the blood flows through forcefully and the sound can be detected in the ears.
  • Obstructions to Hearing – Our hearing may be obstructed when there is too much earwax deposited in our ears, or a foreign material accidentally enters our ears.
It would be very easy to avoid tinnitus if one knows all the tinnitus causes. Early education can be ones armor for protection. It would also be good to share whatever you know of the tinnitus causes to your friends and the people you love.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Sorry for your hearing issue, it must be really bad. I could never understand why some riders so adamantly objected to the least volume or tone of exhaust or other things. Now I think I do understand and can sympathize.

·
Canuck
2,746 Posts
My tinnitus story is the same as everybody else's. "Big Ears" http://www.bigearinc.com/home/Default.aspx was at a bike show two weeks ago. They sell the earplugs that sound similar to what John mentioned in post #2. I bought a pair for $89. Molded to fit in your ears. Ready in 40 minutes. At the show they seemed to do a pretty good job of blocking noise (much better than drugstore ear plugs). Won't be able to use them on the bike for another month or two.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Like others have posted, I have had the ringing in my ears for as long as I can remember,40+yrs. When I was young and dumb shooting all kinds of guns without any ear protection almost every day would leave my ears ringing and over time it never stopped. I guess I got use to it now as I don.t notice it, but I have trouble hearing some people when they talk and have to constantly ask them to repeat themselves. I wear a 3/4 helmet with 3g edsets in it and have no problem with this setup. I have to constantly fiddle with the volume though.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
so that's what it's called??

I learn something new all the time on this board :thumbup:
Didn't know it had a name, I have had the ringing in my ears as long as I can remember 45 years old next month.
I believe alot of mine is from shooting/hunting,loud rock-n-roll,And my job HVAC Contractor been banging on sheetmetal for 31 years and those darn jobsites BANG BANG BANG LOL :lol:

I just crank up the music and the ring goes away :shrug:

1 - 20 of 81 Posts