GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two different helmets and when I wear my regular glasses with the sunglasses that fit over them the ear pieces pressing against the side of my head while wearing the helmet give me a major headache.

I know you can buy tinted shields but has anybody ever tried tinting your own or know any sort of trick other than buying another shield.

I found this on the net...anybody have any experience with them:

http://www.tintashield.com/

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
mlsa I don't want to sound like a sart alec, but I wear transiton lenses in my regular glassed and they work just fine don't even have to worry about anything. I would think they aren't much more expensive than a new windshield and they won't be dark at night.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Just another note. If it's the ear pieces see if you can find some that aren't as thick or something like that. Might even take the helmet to where you get your glasses and get some professional advice. Don't know if they do that kind of thing or not but I would hope they do.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
when I bought my transitions .. I was told that they do not protect your eyes from the ultra violet light... the doc recommended buying some prescription sunglasses..

cosmic

·
Registered
44 Posts
i have transion glasses but have found that prescription sunglasses work better. i have had some trouble finding glasses that have small earpieces that don't cause headaches. i also use the smaller strip (that is also static cling) that just covers the top part of the visor. it + the sunglasses work extremely well for me. Don't remember where i got it (some bike show)

·
Registered
880 Posts
Ask your young ladies who fill your prescription if they can tent the sheild. If not try Wal-Mart. That's where I got my glasses dipped.

Bobalou

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Transition lenses have a 400% UV protection.

That is what I use.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I use a tinted shield almost all of the time. I simply flip it up for the little bit of riding I do at night. My helmet also has the additional flip down sun visor. And....I have transition lenses that also came with magnetic clip on sunglasses. Additionally, I added a suntint to the top of the visor for that late day sun in my eyes. I purchased a roll of that stuff from Wally world for cheap. I think I've got the sun thing taken care of!! ha:coffee1:

btw... tinted shields are only about $25

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
RC guys tint their polycarbonate canopies and windshields using Rit fabric dye. I am putting together a rig to try to do a gradient tint by slowly lowering the shield into the dye and slowly bringing it out. I have a couple scrap shields to test it on, but right now my "free" time is taken up rebuilding a house for the youngest daughter. I hope to get on this project in the next month or two, because I am not fully satisfied by the SymaxII drop-down shield or it in combination with a lightly tinted visor.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
You need something to provide UVA and B protection (a good pair of sunglasses that block 100% of UV light). Just tinting the shield blocks the light which causes the iris to open to let in more light along with the UV light. If there is no UV filtering from the shield your asking for cataracts. Find a good shield that provides UV protection (Shoei makes one) or get a good pair of sunglasses. Your eyes will thank you.

Walt

1 - 11 of 11 Posts