GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always used sunglasses mainly because I was too cheap to buy the extra shield. However, I got a free tinted shield with my new helmet and I really like it. I don't like having to cary the other shield; sunglasses are smaller.

I ride a lot during the week. I leave in the morning when it's dark, sometimes have to ride in the middle of the day and return home when it's dark. So, I have to have both shields with me.

What do you guys do?

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
It kinda depends, I've got several different shields and depending on the expected conditions I usually just swap 'em out accordingly. Bright days, darker tints. Cloudy or low light, clear. On a mixture of the two or if I'll be getting back after dark I run a light tint. I also keep some polarized sunglasses in a pocket just in case I chose wrong for that day. However, I don't usually don't wear any sunglasses under my shield, it kinda defeats the purpose for me.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Also a pair of the yellow shooters sunglasses for night. They cut the oncoming glare from headlights down to nothing.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
CJS said:
How about light sensitive glases that change darkness with the amount of light?
Someday, maybe an ingenious company will make a shield with this ability.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Teaser 1 said:
...Someday, maybe an ingenious company will make a shield with this ability.[/b]
They are available...at least for the Scorpion EXO - they're about $70.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sunglasses, they provide the most flexibility and, if they're decent, another level of eye protection from debris and UV. I'm not sure but most shields don't have adequate UV protection.

Only got 1 set of eyes, might as well take care of them!

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I wear glasses for my eyesight; I have the Photogrey (automatic tinting) feature on them as well so they get dark after a few minutes outside in the bright light. They automatically adjust as I need them so they become almost instant sunglasses anyways.

However, when it does get really bright outside and Im riding into the sun...I wear a pair of sunglasses from WM that fit over my glasses and they are already dark.

·
Registered
261 Posts
When i ride with 3/4 helmet, i use sunglasses but on my full face i have a tinted shield, if i ride at night i tip my visor up till it just above my eyeline. about 2" open. I like the wind anyway so it doesnt matter unless im on a sportbike.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
I have the PhotoGrey light sensitive glasses, and also a flip front helmet with the dark smoke shield. At night, I just put the shield up in the half **** position to look under it. Sunny out, just close it.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
DT said:
Teaser 1 said:
...Someday, maybe an ingenious company will make a shield with this ability.[/b]
They are available...at least for the Scorpion EXO - they're about $70.
Yeah, Scorpion is the first to do it, but it only darkens to a light tint and that's not dark enough for me.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Sunglasses, clear safety glasses, Tinted shield, clear shield. That way I can choose. I wear 3/4 helmet and only use a shield if cold out.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
I have photocromatic lense glasses.. and my CL-15 HJC helmet shield
is 95% UV resistant.. plus I added a darkening strip on the upper part of the sheild to block out even more sun .. especially when its early or late in the day..
I prolly will use a tinted sheild during the summer and carry a clear for night time.. i store the extra sheild in a sock.. to keep it from getting scratched..

cosmic

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I wear mirrored lens and SUnglasses.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I use tinted shield with my regular glasses, carry the clear shield on trips only. That way, I don't have to carry my prescrip sunglasses with me. If I wore the sunglasses, I'd have to carry my regular ones for when I go inside anywhere. Those changing lenses glasses don't work so well in AZ heat, at least that what I've been told by the optometrist and optician.

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
I am going to look at the Caberg Jurisimo helmet with inner sun shield..

I am terrible with keeping sun glasses around. At this point I am not sure where my sun glasses are, :shock:

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
I wear reading glasses that also have the photo gray changing lens, but they never seam dark enough, I also have one of my helmets that has a light lint shield and I wear both, even at night the shield seams ok.

I have several pair of just sunglasses, I like my Ray bans best, and keep them with me also...

There's a company ( http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/safreadglas.html ) that sells different safety glasses with the bi-focal lens for reading or they stick on bi focal lens for regular sunglasses. I haven't tried the stick on, but I'm going to order a pair and try them out. Their safety glasses work good and they're very cheep....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts