GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you noticed that there is exactly (1)ONE Torx head bolt on the entire GL1800 ?
As such, I either need to carry a Torx Wrench for just It, or change the bolt over to an Allen Head ...the later of which I always carry a set of.

So then, you can swap out the Torx Bolt on the Left Front Brake Caliper ("BOLT, TORX (8X25)
90134-MAT-000", to the Delay Valve), replacing it with a SHCS (cut to reduce length)

The extra benefit is that with a SHOULDER bolt, the bearing surface is no longer comprised of THREADS, but rather a Larger Smooth Surface... which should wear better.

I safety wired mine, to make up for the lack of (red) Thread Lock that comes with the stock Honda bolt; and added a split ring lockwasher.

Attachments

Reactions: jlbc212 and JoeHall

·
IronMan
17,623 Posts
AND THERE GOES YOUR WARRANTY ON A 15 YR OLD BIKE !! :surprise::wink2::laugh::laugh:IS THERE A LOT OF TORQUE ON THE TORX BOLT THAT THEY USE

·
Vendor
17,784 Posts
So you got rid of a torx socket and added wire and wire twist pliers?
Doesn't seem like a great trade off.
I was thinking the same thing ... but took it even further. I was remembering back on the few times that I've ever removed that bolt. Since I'm not a Honda dealer doing SB-23's, the only other time was on wrecked bikes from left-hand-turners. Somehow I don't imagine myself trying to fix my "wrecked Wing" out in the middle of an intersection.

The tools I carry are the ones Honda supplied in my tool pouch, plus anything else needed to support the few aftermarket things I have. Such as tools to install my BushTec spare tire. I also carry tire plugging equipment, and a Honda tire pump.

I find it far more important to maintain my Wing according to Honda's instructions then to worry about all the "what if's."

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So you got rid of a torx socket and added wire and wire twist pliers?
Doesn't seem like a great trade off.

I don't replace safety wire while one the road... If I have to remove it, then I figure the joint will remain intact until I get home.
(eg I just have to carry a pair of pliers to remove the wire; which I always carry anyway)

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
...IS THERE A LOT OF TORQUE ON THE TORX BOLT THAT THEY USE

Nope, it's only 9 ft-lbs ...which to me means "Finger-Tight"... which is probably why Honda supplies this bolt with (Red) Threadlock already installed.

·
Vendor
22,054 Posts
Have you noticed that there is exactly (1)ONE Torx head bolt on the entire GL1800 ?
There are actually at least two, maybe more. The ABS ring on ABS model bikes have a smaller size torx bolt. The Air bag bike also use them on the air bag mounting bracket. Probably a few others I've forgotten about in other places.

I really don't think you need to safety wire that bolt. I've never seen one come loose, but I have seen the threads on the collar it threads into get stripped out from folks over-tightening it.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Question

Interesting. Just out of curiosity, what tools are the minimum that should be in the bike, or in my case, the trike?
Thanks,

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Alex,

Don't worry about the naysayers.

I've seen more "fixes" posted on this BB where, IMHO the cure was worse than the disease.

This isn't one of them.

:nerd:

·
Registered
969 Posts
The only time I thought I had to remove that Torx bolt, I was wrong. I've never had to remove it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts