GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find the GL1800 Disappointing in comparison to the 1500, in terms Warmth in the Cockpit area.
There's plenty of heat available from the engine, yet it just does not get delivered to the rider.

So then, some easy modifications are to:
1) Cut to add a Vent Hole to the rearwards-face of the side chrome covers (to provide warm air from engine)

2) Remove the Left Rubber Seal (around shift lever)
3) Trim-to-remove the rearwards-face of the Vertical Chrome sections, on the exhaust manifold covers (to provide warm air directly from the exhaust manifolds to your feet)

All this will provide Yummy Warm Air, to your feet/knees.
I've used it as such for 4-season's so far, and it's good year-around... eg Not too hot in summer

Attachments

·
Registered
530 Posts
Alex, do you get any warm air from the black cowling vents? Mine produce basically nothing, and they are properly connected to the plastic ducts in there. Disappointing.

I find the GL1800 Disappointing in comparison to the 1500, in terms Warmth in the Cockpit area.
There's plenty of heat available from the engine, yet it just does not get delivered to the rider.

So then, some easy modifications are to:
1) Cut to add a Vent Hole to the rearwards-face of the side chrome covers (to provide warm air from engine)

2) Remove the Left Rubber Seal (around shift lever)
3) Trim-to-remove the rearwards-face of the Vertical Chrome sections, on the exhaust manifold covers (to provide warm air directly from the exhaust manifolds to your feet)

All this will provide Yummy Warm Air, to your feet/knees.
I've used it as such for 4-season's so far, and it's good year-around... eg Not too hot in summer

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alex, do you get any warm air from the black cowling vents? Mine produce basically nothing, and they are properly connected to the plastic ducts in there. Disappointing.

No, because those vents merely take the Ambient Air from the FRONT of the bike... Unlike on the 1500, where they direct Warm Air from the engine area.
So basically, in Cold weather, those black cowling vents direct COLD air.

See Item's #5 &6, on my thread of stuff you can remove: https://gl1800riders.com/forums/5-gl1800-tech-board/455237-2004-gl1800-diet-plan.html

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Yeah, even here in Idaho our Summers are hot enough that would be a bit much. Probably why I don't ride a V twin. On the other hand, this would be a great idea if I had a second set of engine covers. One set for Summer, and the second with the vent cut in it for the cooler time of the season, like now. Here's an idea, my Wing already has the lower louvered vent. Why not open the bottom of the connecting duct allowing it to more directly draw heat from the engine. Now I could draw engine heat when I need it and close the vent when I don't.

Reactions: PastoT

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Interesting idea and mod.:thumbup:
Perhaps having a 2nd hand spare set of side covers for summer would make this perfect. Used parts are getting more and more available.

I like smart innovations.

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
79 Posts
I live in Texas and it is great not to be blasted from heat from the engine. My last bike was a blast furnace. Love my DCT Tour.

·
Registered
887 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts