GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Early in winter I installed Kury (however that is spelled) pegs. These clamp onto the engine protector bar at each side. I simply gagued the same distance BACK from the weld of the bar at each side. I got ride and try it some, as did my son. We both thought that it felt out of "wack" somehow, right peg was hard to reach. Last night I got to looking closer and DUH?!?!?! The right peg was further foreward than the left. The engine protector bar is too! Seems to have to do with the offset in the opposed 6 cylinder design. I reinstalled the right peg to measure the ame distance from the regular driver's per pivot point as does the left. That should make the pegs match. I think it was off about an inch or more the other way. Who would'a thunk it?

prs

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
O.K. You got me curious. :shock: I'll have
to go home and see. I mounted pegs the same
way, but didn't notice outside of how ugly they
looked (different brand).

·
Registered
7 Posts
put pegs vertical, not horizontal

Guys,

If you're mounting your highway pegs on the horizontal engine guard, you're just asking for trouble.

I've had several friends scrape in a curve and they had the peg catch on the pavement and cause a get-off. Matter of fact, that's how I got the Wing I'm on now. The previous owner had Mik-o-pegs and they caught and caused the front tire to lift off the pavement causing a low-side. I bought the salvage and restored the bike.

I recommend mounting them on the vertical part of the engine guard bar.

I just did it with a pair of Kuryakan's and it works great.

Best regards,

Joe Zulaski

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hi Joe,
I just mounted a set of Kury Ergo II pegs and tried to figure a way to mount on the verticle bar.
Would you have a pic or tow?

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Yes what zldrider said for sure ! On the old board it was discussed
at length. That the only safe place to mount the pegs was on the vertical bar. Now if all you do is putts ? Well it's your decision. And I'm not telling you to not mount them on the horizontal Bar, but when I was new to the wing, a guy that I didn't know very well called me up on the phone and pretty much TOLD me where not to put them. And why ! Guy had pictures of the bottom of the pegs almost worn through. Guys name was Bulldog, maybe you have heard of him...............Anyway I have seen the ergo 2's installed, they should lhave no problems being mounted on the lower section of the Ver. Support Bar............ :yes2:

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Re: put pegs vertical, not horizontal

zldrider said:
Guys,

If you're mounting your highway pegs on the horizontal engine guard, you're just asking for trouble.

I've had several friends scrape in a curve and they had the peg catch on the pavement and cause a get-off. Matter of fact, that's how I got the Wing I'm on now. The previous owner had Mik-o-pegs and they caught and caused the front tire to lift off the pavement causing a low-side. I bought the salvage and restored the bike.

I recommend mounting them on the vertical part of the engine guard bar.

I just did it with a pair of Kuryakan's and it works great.

Best regards,

Joe Zulaski
If you mount the NEW Kury 4056 pegs, the bottom of the mount is flat and can be mounted on the horizontal bar with little concern for "pivoting" when you "get the bike into a turn"

The old mounts where a problem, but these new ones are great

·
Registered
231 Posts
I guess I just worked too hard today, but I have the NEW Kury 4056 pegs and the "new" mount with the adjustable plastic insert piece that rests against the bottom of the head cover, and I can't see anyway to get them on the verticle bar. :hun1: :banghead:

·
Registered
17,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The ones I mounted on the horizontal bar are the ones with the support bracket (4050 sounds like the correct model - but I canna remember such details) underneath that contacts the motor head covers. I have nt hit the twisties since thislast adjustment, but I could definitley scrape the pegs they way they were without them touching. If they did scrape, the foot rests woud pivot up like the regualr foot peg, I thuink. I will look it over closely to see if it is safe before riding again. Mounted on the verticle bars, are you guys NOT noticing the right is further foreward by an inch or so? also, if you get that for foreward, it seems one's calfs would be blocked by the cowl so that your feet would not contact the foot rests -- maybe not?.?.

prs

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
rchawk49 said:
I guess I just worked too hard today, but I have the NEW Kury 4056 pegs and the "new" mount with the adjustable plastic insert piece that rests against the bottom of the head cover, and I can't see anyway to get them on the verticle bar. :hun1: :banghead:
I with rchawk on this one, I have the ergo II on the horizonal...and if mounted to the vertical, the "rest" part of the mount that contacts the eng head would be on the plastic front cowl....so does not look like a good mounting position. I also bent down and looked down the bike at foot peg level and the ergo II mount is higher....so, not an issue for dragging like the old style mount. Of course I could be all wet too. Would like to see a pic of the ergo II mounted to the verticle bar.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Measured the distance last night. I have maybe
½ inch difference. Wasn't enough that I noticed.

Well, maybe I do have o.k. highway pegs, because
although they are mounted on the horizontal gaurds,
you have to really, really tilt the bike out of control
to get any kind of scraping.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I mounted mine on the vertical bar after I almost crashed into oncoming traffic when I was thrown in to their lane in a turn. You can easily scrape them if they are mounted on the horizontal bar, depending on the slope of the curve you are in.

They are easily mounted on the vertical bar by knocking out the hinge pin and assembling them on the vertical bar, then re-insert the pin from the top. If you already have them on the vertical bar you might want to take a look and make sure the hinge pin drops in from the top so it doesn't fall out.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have to agree with Herb on this one. 1/2 inch difference in the for and aft position and the bike would have to be banked against the case guards to have the pegs or mounts to hit. No way to get the mounts "under" the front lower cowl.
Besides, my S/O doesn't like hard twisties. :shock:

·
Registered
550 Posts
pegs

Pulled mine this weekend to move them to the vertical bars, and besides looking crappy, the angles were all wrong for resting feet on them. I do drag them occassionally in turns, which causes the pucker factor to leap to the extreme edge of the scale, but am learning to adjust to no dragging stuff in the turns.
On the old peg mounts, I found that you could take the black metal piece off that rests on the bottom the the cylinder head when mounted properly.
I am game for any suggestions, other than spending another 85 bucks for the new mounts that don't appear to me to correct the problem.
Ride fast...

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Hey, with a little help from my friend, Rick Kagamaster, we moved my pegs from the horizontal bar to the vertical, last night.

Here's what we discovered.

Leave the black support thingie on. When you're done, it rests against the front of the valve cover instead of the bottom. In order to get the clamp to fit in place between the engine guard and cowling, we removed the clamp's hinge pin. (It's held in place with a C-clip. As a replacement, a 1/8" C-clip from Home Depot works great.)

You have to turn the geared face of the support clamp around, so that it inclines upward instead of downward in order to get the angle right.

Finally, in order to get the right peg to pivot to the proper angle, we removed the footpeg itself from the piece it swivels on (the piece that allows it to fold up and out of the way when not it use), spun it 180 on its axis, and reattached it. Be careful not to lose the shim when you do that last part.

This gave us the angle we needed!

Hope that's not too confusing.

·
Registered
550 Posts
vertical peg install

Thanks John, I am going to give that a try as it really scares the hell out of me everytime I drag the pegs.
Ride Safe...

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Son of Thunder said:
Finally, in order to get the right peg to pivot to the proper angle, we removed the footpeg itself from the piece it swivels on (the piece that allows it to fold up and out of the way when not it use), spun it 180 on its axis, and reattached it. Be careful not to lose the shim when you do that last part.
jwwdragon,

FYI, the reason this part of the procedure works is that the alignment holes in this piece are positioned asymmetrically, so it gives you more options.

Good luck, take your time, and ride safe!

·
Registered
17,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Although I can not fathom how the highway pegs or their mounts could scrape before the stock rider pegs scrape (an they do so easily); I am gonna take your guys advice and try the verticle mount with the right unit sorta re-assembled 180 degrees. Can't be too safe when yer hide (and other's hides) are at risk. I gotta wonder why my right highway peg (K-4050) is more offset than the 1/2" you guys notic.

Lets see, that thar ruler thingy has inches, half inches, quarter inches, and then them itty bitty little quarter inches marked on it...... Harrrrrrrrrr

prs

·
Registered
136 Posts
I can’t say I got it right and would like some feed back. I have a little more than 3K on my motor with no problems scraping anything. I do ride aggressively at times but have been reasonable careful. I have not found the limits of braking and accelerating in tight corners. Not sure I will as the Wing really isn’t a crotch rocket, but fun none the less. I’m very much aware of dragging some part that will low side me. My real bitch is that there is no way that a wing will ever support comfortable highway pegs due to the motor itself. One has to be “spread eagle”. My vtwin (Roadie) on the other hand lends itself to highway pegs and is very comfortable.

[/img

[img]http://bigbikeriders.com/photopost/data/500/12432.JPG

I have wind deflectors that also inhibit leg placement. :chat:

Any feedback is appreciated.
RW

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
RW,

Well, if it works for you, it's great! I think the model of foot peg that you got is not quite so prone to scraping anyway, so you might have been okay putting them anyplace on the engine guard that's comfortable for you.

The bracket on mine is much bulkier, so I had to move it to the vertical bar up by the cowling, so it wouldn't scrape. (I'd already scraped it once or twice.)

In any case, you sure are right about it being a fun bike to ride!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts