GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unlike what some of you were first thinking, this tip is actually for those times when you need quick access to dollar bills for things like toll booths. Of course, if you ever stumble across other drive thru services needing single dollar bills, you could use it for that as well.....

Like others, I've fumbled for dollar bills when needing to pay tolls. Yesterday I was looking for a new way to deal with this and realized I could open the gas filler compartment, stick the bills in and leave just the edge of them sticking out one side with the lid closed. When I went thru the toll booths, I would pull one of the bills free and the others would stay put. It works with riding gloves on. While I wouldn't advocate riding around with dollar bills flapping in the wind all the time, it works if you know you're going to face the dreaded toll booth stoppies.

Ok, let the silly comments begin... :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,529 Posts
I put my IPass transponder and singles in the left fairing pocket and simply open it to retrieve the needed device for a toll or drive through....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
713 Posts
what's a "toll booth" ?? :shock:
 
P

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
radbikers said:
Ok, let the silly comments begin... :D
Sure...

Jeez, like I don't put enough money in that hole already.
Second hand money flapping causes eye boogers.
Trying to count and control the exact amount could be dangerous with the two hands needed on the bars to prevent wobbles.
Doesn't leaving the little door partly ajar loosen the crush washers?

Actually, that's a great idea. Thanks

Pat
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
524 Posts
Toll Booths (motorcycles pay the same as a car if you are local :evil: ) and State Inspections.
You've got to love living in Virginia but I guess I could always move and really put on some miles going to work everyday. :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
435 Posts
radbikers said:
Ok, let the silly comments begin... :D
Now I won't be looking at just the farkles, I'll be looking for beer money! :lol:

Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,292 Posts
Great Idea!

Wish I knew about it before I got the IPass.

I always leave a few dollars rolled up and tucked behind those plastic hooks on the right side of the left pocket. (inside)

Never leave any loose paper of any kind in the left pocket as you may want to open it while under way. I learned my lesson.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,891 Posts
I use the gas door trick to hold my parking lot vouchers. I put it in there while gearing up and then when I get to the booth, I can easily hand them the ticket with one gloved hand.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,135 Posts
Roadking522 said:
what's a "toll booth" ?? :shock:
It's where they charge you for driving on roads you allready paid to drive on. :evil: Apparently the gas tax is not enough in some places. Crazy, huh? :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,206 Posts
We don't have no stinkin "toll roads" in AZ<G>!



radbikers said:
Unlike what some of you were first thinking, this tip is actually for those times when you need quick access to dollar bills for things like toll booths. Of course, if you ever stumble across other drive thru services needing single dollar bills, you could use it for that as well.....

Like others, I've fumbled for dollar bills when needing to pay tolls. Yesterday I was looking for a new way to deal with this and realized I could open the gas filler compartment, stick the bills in and leave just the edge of them sticking out one side with the lid closed. When I went thru the toll booths, I would pull one of the bills free and the others would stay put. It works with riding gloves on. While I wouldn't advocate riding around with dollar bills flapping in the wind all the time, it works if you know you're going to face the dreaded toll booth stoppies.

Ok, let the silly comments begin... :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
713 Posts
Lewis/EC said:
Roadking522 said:
what's a "toll booth" ?? :shock:
It's where they charge you for driving on roads you allready paid to drive on. :evil: Apparently the gas tax is not enough in some places. Crazy, huh? :roll:
Thanks Lewis :D Actually, I know what a toll booth is, it's just like what biglefti said though about AZ - here in Ohio, we don't got not stinkin toll roads !! (except up on the turnpike - which I've never been on!) hence my comment - "what's a toll booth" 8) 8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,135 Posts
Roadking522 said:
Lewis/EC said:
Roadking522 said:
what's a "toll booth" ?? :shock:
It's where they charge you for driving on roads you allready paid to drive on. :evil: Apparently the gas tax is not enough in some places. Crazy, huh? :roll:
Thanks Lewis :D Actually, I know what a toll booth is, it's just like what biglefti said though about AZ - here in Ohio, we don't got not stinkin toll roads !! (except up on the turnpike - which I've never been on!) hence my comment - "what's a toll booth" 8) 8)
Sorry...I should have reworded that....lol. It was my smart a$$ way of hinting I hate toll roads.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,169 Posts
radbikers said:
Ok, let the silly comments begin... :D
When I first read the subject line my immediate response was, "You can usually put them in her g-string or garter..." :capwin: :biker: :yes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
I struggled with this for years since the Chicago area seems to be the king of toll roads. I used an I-Pass but was uncomfortable holding it up in the air as I road through the booth. I always felt unprepared in case something happened while I was holding up the unit.

Earlier this summer I came up with a solution that works great for me. I attached a lanyard to the I-Pass unit and I can wear it around my neck and keep it under my jacket until I get to the toll booth. Now I can hold it up knowing that if I need to drop it to deal with an emergency I won't lose it. It works great!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
868 Posts
That could be a great idea. But I would understand better if someone would tell me what a Toll Booth is. Is it anything like the booths we have outback? We call then outhouses and I didn't know you were suppose to pay :lol: :lol:
 

·
Squating Member
Joined
·
7,056 Posts
For you I pass guys, I have to show a pass to get onto the military reservation, I found a place called IDville, they sell a small Velcro badge holder that you can strap to your arm and it hold the pass/badge. Works great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,635 Posts
What do you do when the toll is 1.25 like the West Virginia Turn Pike? Where do you put the quarters??
I put a destination in the Garmin, tell it to stay off expressways, avoid toll boths and avoid U-turns. Haven't had to visit one of those since. Love that Garmin! I do save the bills for the rider on the passenger seat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,027 Posts
Gary in Indiana said:
When I first read the subject line my immediate response was, "You can usually put them in her g-string or garter..." :capwin: :biker: :yes:

...and I was wondering where he found a drive-thru strip joint.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top