GL1800Riders Forums banner

Tip Over - Broken Rivco Peg - Keep boots dry

4K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  bcnu53 
#1 ·
Well, I finally did it. Dropped my DCT. Was in the shop after coming inside from the rain. As I was putting my bike on the center stand, my wet shoe slipped off the center stand just as it was at maximum pressure on the stand and down she went on the right side. My Rivco peg was still out and it snapped off just outside pivot point. Those soft aluminum bolts are supposed to break, or so the instructions state. That would have been a lot cheaper it they had broken. Fortunately nothing else was damaged. Hope the peg is available separately. Don't think I want to spend the $$ for another set.
What did I learn? Be sure your foot (boot / shoe) is dry and you have a good "footing" on the center stand. IF not, it could cost you!! I think I'm going to add a strip of that stair step stick back grit pad on the stand.

#3 ·
DAM THE BAD LUCK ! >:) GLAD ONLY THING YA HURT WAS YOUR EGO. COULD'VE BUSTED YOUR AZZ ALSO. BIKE IS SO NEW BE HARD TO FIND PARTS OTHER THAN NEW . STAIR STUFF SHOULD DO THE TRICK. WAS AT A RALLY ONCE AND GUY TOOK THAT AND CUT IT INTO 1 INCH SQUARE AND PUT ON CENTERSTAND WERE YOUR FOOT GOES TO PUSH ON IT SO DOESNT SLIP OFF. HAD ON MY 05 WORKED GREAT . DONT HELP SLICK BOOTS ANY ! :serious::frown2:

#4 ·
CALL THE COMPANY AND EXPLAIN IT BROKE N NOT BOLTS "AS ADVERTIZED" AND MAYBE SEND YA NEW ONE. IF THAT DONT WORK TELL THEM ITS XMAS ! :grin2:

#5 ·
Recently (as in the past few months) my Goldwing decided to take a nap with my right side Rivco Peg deployed. Like yours, the right foot Peg portion was permanently separated from its' mount on the bike. Luckily (for me) another member on this board had a similar mishap with his left side Rivco Peg. Now, Rivco will not sell just one peg, but they will sell a set; one left and one right. It is not necessary to buy the entire foot peg assembly. Still, not exactly cheap, but . . . . Anyhow, you have to call them. They do not advertise this purchase option. So we were able split the cost. He ordered the set. He kept the left peg and I paid him (half) for the right peg. This worked out well for the both of us. Maybe you can find someone here who is in a similar symbiotic situation as we were. Post something on both the WTB and the For Sale Boards. Ya just never know. Best of luck to you! Worst case you buy the set of both foot pegs from Rivco. Sooner or later someone will need the one you don't.

#6 · (Edited)
After you replace a couple, you'll get in the habit of kicking them closed when you're coming to a stop. I learned the lesson on my ST1300, which had similar highway pegs. Every fuel stop. Every time in stop-n-go traffic. Pulling in the driveway. Just kick them shut.

And yes, I've dropped my new Wing. And no, I didn't break a peg.

#8 ·
Not sure if the blades are the same on the new 2018. But the price on the replacement blades for the 2001 -2017 are $99. for a pair. If you look under the blade on the other side you can see a slot cut in the blade close to the pivot. I think they are designed to brake there in case of tip over so no damage happens to the bike.

#10 ·
I had to replace one of my pegs. They sell the pegs only for about $100 per pair including shipping. My left one was broken and as luck would have it another member scooped up the right one when I posted it for sale on this forum. It worked out well for both of us.

#11 ·
Well, exactly the same thing happened to me last week! It was wet and at maximum exertion the foot slipped off the stand quicker than lightning. The bike came to rest on the stops but as with Greg, the right Rivco peg was still out and it snapped. There were no other marks on the bike other than the plastic covers for the guard bars and the scars are almost not visible. I was impressed that the bike never went any further over than the guards and was not touching the main Rivco peg housing.

After a 9000 mile trip back in October, I was thinking about finding an alternative to the Rivcos anyway. While they are attractive, it is difficult to keep your foot from sliding outward and off the peg. I figured that replacement parts will not be inexpensive.

To help prevent the same mishap from happening again, I'll be adding a non-skid coating to the step portion of the center stand.

#13 ·
I love my MOPs! When John installed them, he tipped my bike over on its side. The bike rested on the guards, the MOPS still had room to move. Not a scratch, damage...

#15 ·
Solution to slippery Center Stand Pad: I Think!

Checked Harbor Freight and they only had a thick rubber tread Matt for non slip stair steps, and I didn't think that would work very well. So I took one of my 24 grit grinding discs and traced the foot pad onto the back of it. I roughed up the foot pad with 100 grit sandpaper and cut and shaped the grinding disc and epoxy glued it to the pad. I used electrical tape to hold it firmly in place while curing. Once cured I sprayed 2 coats of good quality satin black paint to seal it. Looks like it belongs there and I think it will prevent any slipping when wet. Attached a picture of it below.

Attachments

#18 ·
I wonder if one could use a non-slip paint additive? Mix it with paint or epoxy and see how that works?
I Googled the phrase "Anti Skid Paint Additive." It seems that an abundant supply (given this application) can be had for less than $5 or $10. As low as $3.10 on Amazon.

#23 ·
So-o-o-o-o-o-o-o I was thinking that this idea to upgrade the center stand foot pedal with an anti-slip capability was probably an excellent idea.

First I sanded the surface of the center stand foot pedal that is contacted by your shoe, with 220 grit sand paper.

Next, I mixed the JB Weld 50/50 as the instructions indicate. I probably made about a teaspoon of the epoxy when completely mixed.

Then I mixed in as much texture material as i could into the epoxy. (picture #1)

With rubber gloves on I spread this gritty putty over the surface of the center stand foot pedal as smoothly and as evenly as I could.

After the epoxy had dried completely, I brushed the excess texture material off using a stiff plastic brush. (picture #2)

Finally I taped the center stand arm and sprayed the now textured center stand foot pedal with several coats of gloss black spray paint. (picture #3)

The finished result looks great, seems very durable and should perform quite well. (picture #4)

Give it a year and 10,000 or 20,000 miles and we'll see I suppose.

Thought I'd pass this along to anyone that might be interested.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.