GL1800Riders Forums banner

Tip the worker

2K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  Wi_Winger 
G
#1 ·
:D I would like to know who tips the dealer's worked for work, My Honda Dealer has a no charge for putting the aftermarket parts on, If you buy the bike and all parts from him...I alway Tip the guy five dollars, telling him to have lunch on me...I'm NEVER setting around waiting on my bike..they get started right away...I know the dealer pay's this employee, But if I see them doing a lttle more for me....then why not....I know people that set for hours just so there number comes up....they clean my bike also, I ever get a bike back that not clean-up....anyboby tip out there..and how much??? :roll:

#2 ·
My dealer got my bike right in first thing in the morning, did the work for me and never charged me for some extra accessories i had them install since my bike was already there. I tried to tip the mechanic $20.00 but he said he could not accept it. I tried a couple of times but he would not hear of it. So about 10:30am I ordered 2 pizza's and them delivered to the dealership. Everyone there was really appreciative for what in did. So now we are both happy.

#3 ·
Last time I had tires installed I tipped the mechanic Jack $20.
He let me stand there and watch everything he did and explained in detail what he was doing. Told me this is why we don,t let anyone watch. Honda call for 2 hours labor to change tires. He can do them in a little under an hour.
Oh almost forgot, I used to work with him, raised him from a pup, and have known him for 15+ years. He was fresh out of AMI when he came to work there. He is now the lead Honda tech and is really sharp on wings. And yeah, they charged me 2 hours labor for the job. so much for being a former employee

#4 ·
I usually tip the mechanic $10. I feel a good Goldwing mechanic is worth a little extra gratuity when he works on my bike. I usually do most of the maintenence myself but if there are warrenty issues I take it to my dealer. I'm sure the dealer doesn't pay him what he's worth and he appreciates my expression of gratitude.

Al
Lady Lake, Fl

#8 ·
I tip good mechanics. I shun bad ones. They usually work for bad dealers. A dealer that does not pay his people what they are worth is IMHO an *******.

#9 ·
Tip a dealer machanic? . . . hmmmmmm . . . . Never thought about it really. Maybe if my wing is ever worked on so that the original problem is corrected without breaking somthing, scratching something, or losing something in the process it might cross my mind to tip because I woudn't be SO PISSED OFF!! :mad1: Oh, AND if it is actually done on time and cleaned after it sits out in the rain for a couple days longer than they say it will to complete the work! :cus: AND . . . well I could go on forever with dealers who hire under skilled, under paid, under careing machanics. :croc:

And to think I have NEVER lost my cool and been rude or ugly to them; :mrgreen: I guess I am worried about how the service would be if I ever got rude with one, wheel would probably fall off if you look at them wrong so I just :bow: them so they at least do it half assed instead of full ass it up. :22yikes:

G
#10 ·
tip

Don't know about Mr B, from new york,..i'm down here in the dep-south, 5-10 is a good for someone only put's on new part, the guy don't repair anything..his job is to get them ready for sale...he told me once that 85% of the snow birds NEVER pay anything ,but will stand around bitch that it's taking to long...I'm not working, so he know I buy his lunch to show him some kindness..more then some do..........

#11 ·
My wife use to work in a restuarant and she would come home and tell me that the snowbirds are the worst tippers. Locals do much better. If the northerns make so much more than we do(southerners) then why don't they tip better? Excellent service is excellent service no matter where you go. Tipping is always welcomed!

#12 ·
When I'm scheduled for anything major and the bike is kept overnight, I always reward the dealership's service department for good service (which I receive every time). Since they won't accept a tip, I pick up an order at the bagel shop across the street and feed the crew. The crew down here likes hot bagels with cream cheese. Great bunch of guys.

#13 ·
Tipping

You know, I have a problem with people EXPECTING a tip for MERELY DOING THEIR JOB. I EXPECT my bike to be returned in better condition than when I dropped it off to be worked on. I EXPECT my bike to be cleaner than when I dropped it off (no greasy fingerprints). I EXPECT my dealer to know what he's doing. For that, I EXPECT to pay a fair price. That's part of the reason I didn't buy from my local dealer. I did my research, found what I wanted, and worked with the one who met my expectations.

I don't know about you, but I work hard for the money I earn. The people I work with expect that I will do my job to the best of my ability, and I expect the same from them. They pay me a fair price for the value of the work I perform.

Now, I will provide a gratuity of some kind if someone goes above and beyond, or if I think the value of the work they perform for me is worth more than they charge me, but not for doing what I expected and have paid them a fair price to do in the first place. I hate to sound harsh about this, but there are too many people out there with their hand out and their expectations of the value of the work they perform is way too high.

Before you call me a cheap ba$tard (like my wife), I do tip when appropriate, and meets the criteria I outlined above. For example, just the other evening, my wife and I were enjoying a great meal at a local steakhouse. The server was very attentive, and provided extras of anything we wanted without being asked. He got a nice tip. I had a local handyman install a pair of French doors for me a few weeks ago. I thought he didn't charge me enough for the services he performed, and he got some extra as well.

Everyone has their own ideas, and your mileage may vary, but I just won't foster tipping as a standard way of doing business.

FLAME ON!

Cloud9

#15 ·
Sorry, but I think your just cheap, Cloud9. After all, who would know you better than your wife? :)

#16 ·
While I normally don't have any service done at the dealer, they are really quite good to me!!
While I'm not demanding and never expect it, they always seem to be able to take me in last minute for a state inspection, mount a tire for me between jobs or loan me a special tool for a bike at home. That makes me appreceate the relationship. Bringing in chocolate or other goodies is a small price to pay for such service..

#17 ·
Got to have better looking techs than my local shop before I'm gonna start stuffing $ in their belts. :shock:

I'm a sick sick man....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.