GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,
I want to say right off the bat, the first idea I'm presenting is not mine. It was first introduced by "Waldo" and I just did it in a different way. If, any of you like it, Waldo is the one that thought it up. It is by no mean, an instruction on the way you SHOULD do things, it is a SUGGESTION ONLY!!!

When attaching wires to existing wires for the installation of accessories like lights, etc, my method has been to strip the wire in the middle of a run, and simply "Tee-off", solder, and then tape up. Then run the wire to the new accessory. I tried Waldos method and will use it when ever possible. I like it a lot better. He used "half" of a staple. He took the one leg of the staple and, stripped a tiny bit of the end of the wire he's using, and soldered it to the end of the staple. He would then add a small amount of shrink tubing to tidy things up.Then he would find the appropriate wire in an existing plug, and insert the pin in the back of the plug where the wire(s) already there, therefore piggy backing right along side the existing wire, IN THE PLUG!. It's a tight fit and makes a great contact especially if you use some dielectric grease. The wire(s) that you've added are then wire-tied real close to the entry point so they wont have tendency to come out.

This way there's no cutting, stripping, or trying to stretch some wire just to get to it to work on that circuit. All the work is done on the work bench and simply inserted in the back of the appropriate plug/wire.

Now, my only change to this idea is, instead of using a staple, I used a brad nail. It's a micro amount bigger in diameter and works well. Simply scape the brad nail with a razor blade all the way around and then solder the wire on to it and then, add a little shrink tubing to it and it looks professional. I'm adding a pic so you can see what the unit looks like installed in the plug. I'm sorry I don't have any of just the pin on the tip of the wire w/heat shrink, I think you would all get that picture anyway. I'm adding a tiny hair brained idea along with this for all you soldering types out there. When soldering wires together, that is "Butt-joint" type joints, I used to strip both ends of the wires and as usual, twist them together and then solder. Well, yes that works and it's done the job for about a thousand years. But recently I tried a little more finesse in my efforts to be better in life. I simply "push" the stripped wire ends together, which, makes them flare out just a bit. I clamp them in one of those "Helping hands", mini vise type things with the built-in magnifying glass and then, wrap a "single" strand of wire around the joint. That makes for a really nice joint and it keeps the diameter of the joint almost exactly the same as the wire size and therefore, using the correct type shrink tubing is easy. OK, enough for now. I hope these little tips help someone out there when your trying to do a good job.

Again, these are only suggestions and I'm not trying to be the worlds greatest jointer in the electrical world, just trying to improve.
Scott

Attachments

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Or go to Radio Shack and buy the connectors that do the same thing, then it makes everything PLUG/PLAY. You just ;ay the wire in the connector and then use a connector on the article you are hooking up, if it needs to be removed by you or your Mech no problem.

B

·
0 Posts
I didn't read your whole post but I got enough of where you were headed. These electrical connectors, taps, locks are the best wire connectors anywhere and they are reusable. They are expensive but I won't use anything else.

http://www.posi-lock.com/index.html

1 - 3 of 3 Posts