GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read where some of you are experiencing frustration when you attempt to use the search function. The problem seems to occur when you do a search, open one of the threads in the list that results from the search topic, read it, and then attempt to go "back" to the original list. At that point you get a message that says (or something like it), "page has expired." I, too, have been frustrated many, many, many ............... times with the same problem. :oops: :?

However, with the help of more astute searchers, I have found that the following very simple steps can avoid losing the list of threads resulting from doing the search.

First, do a search, and wait for the list of threads to appear:

1- RIGHT click on the thread you want to read

2- LEFT click on "Open in New Window"

The two steps will open the thread in a new window for you. Once you have read it, simply close it. Then click on the "task bar" at the bottom of the screen to return to the list of threads that resulted from the search. Then you can open any of the other threads on the list by using the two simple steps above.

NOTE: DO NOT "left" click on a thread from the list of search items because it will result in giving you the message "page has expired" when you attempt to go back to the list of threads.

One other tip that may be helpful when setting the conditions for a search, is to select a specific "Forum" rather than "All Available." This will help narrow down the search.

I have tried to explain in a way that simplifies for you as best I can. For me there is nothing more frustrating than trying to understand someone else's explanation that is written as if I am as tech savvy as the person explaining it. Hope these will work for you and help reduce some of your frustration. If you experience any problems, please PM me and I will try to clarify. Good luck searching. :)

Todd

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
For those that use a MAC, just hold down the Shift and Command (ALT) button during clicking on the link; results in a new tab in the current window.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
salyzyn said:
For those that use a MAC, just hold down the Shift and Command (ALT) button during clicking on the link; results in a new tab in the current window.
Sal, thanks for your suggestion. :D I would not have ever thought about mentioning anything about using the Mac. :oops: :roll:

Sammisgrammy, I wish you success. :)

Todd

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
If you left click on a thread in the search results and then hit the back button, you will get the "page has expired .." message. SImply hit the browser refresh button and then click ok on the pop-up ond you are back. No big deal!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jimwinger said:
If you left click on a thread in the search results and then hit the back button, you will get the "page has expired .." message. SImply hit the browser refresh button and then click ok on the pop-up ond you are back. No big deal!
Jim, sure enough, it works. Hey, where have you been with this suggestion? Could have used it a long time ago. :wink: Now we have two methods.

I might add that when I left click the refresh button near the top of the screen, I get a pop up box message that says, "The page cannot be refreshed without ................ " However, all I have to do is left click the "Retry" button and it works. Great!

I beg to differ with your " No big deal!" comment. It "was" a big deal for me and others who did not know about these tips and were constantly being frustrated. Thanks for sharing. :D

Todd

1 - 6 of 6 Posts