GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2003 gl1800
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i changed the brakes 2 years ago so im not all thumbs
will have cycle gear mount and ballance just need to r&r the assembly i have a clymer book they say to buy new calipar bolts but i think ill will use blue loctite anything else i should do while i am in there? thanks in advance dennis

·
Registered
19,401 Posts
Cycle Gear in Tejas does not mount tires

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Honda does recommend replacement of caliper bolts per event. I never have mostly because I can't ever find them quickly. I assume the threads stretch and the bolt weakens when torqued. Also FYI Honda specs RED loc-tite on the bolts not blue. Some guys actually use nothing in this critical fastener area.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
I would be VERY CAUTIOUS using RED LOCKTITE. It was explained to me by an auto parts store that you will have to use a stick of dynamite to get it loose, if you use that stuff. I returned mine...

·
Registered
819 Posts
Honda does recommend replacement of caliper bolts per event. I never have mostly because I can't ever find them quickly. I assume the threads stretch and the bolt weakens when torqued. Also FYI Honda specs RED loc-tite on the bolts not blue. Some guys actually use nothing in this critical fastener area.
A couple of facts. Honda's red threadlocker is similar to Permatex' blue. New threadlocker does not stick well to old hard threadlocker. A belief (pretty sure, but not positive). The caliper bolts are not stretch bolts. (If they are, by the way, not replacing them would be _really_ a bad idea.)

In my opinion, Honda wants you to use new bolts mostly because they know very few people would do a good job of cleaning the old threadlocker off, and applying fresh. I find it enough of a bear that I prefer to buy the new bolts.

In the good old days, before obsessive weight reduction and cost cutting, this issue was solved by simply substantially oversizing the caliper mounting bolts and the thread engagement. Cars still do that. We're left with smallish bolts and threadlocker, because the thread engagement isn't so hot, either. Wouldn't be so bad if you didn't have to pull them every time you change tires.

·
Registered
2003 gl1800
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the imput i also have a good torque wrench it says the ft- lbs.
on the pinch bolts effects the brakes too- dennis

·
Registered
17,098 Posts
DO NOT use Loctite brand Red locker on them; that is high strength stuff, you want medium regardless of brand or color. I do use some on caliper and rotor bolts, but just a tiny dib. The rotor bolts are prone to stretch and break and who wants broke brakes due to breaks. I keep spares on hand because the local Honda shop does not stock them (so much for them using new parts). No need to remove rear brakes and no need to remove left front brakes, jsut the right side is easier -- just take care in sliping the wheel in and rotor into the opened caliper.

prs

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
I would be VERY CAUTIOUS using RED LOCKTITE. It was explained to me by an auto parts store that you will have to use a stick of dynamite to get it loose, if you use that stuff. I returned mine...
Sorry but this simply isn't true. I've used and reused it on what I consider critical fastener areas on several bikes etc. Yes, they are harder to remove, like tough most of the way out but not that bad. Just clean the threads with wire brush recoat and your good to go again. Everyone has a little different take on threadlockers in vital areas. Exp: Handlebar risers, footpeg fasteners, caliper and rotor bolts. Personally with vibration and all taken into consideration, I like to use what they recommend.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I'm usually interested in this blue versus red Loctite thing. I've used Red Loctite # 2711 for at least twenty years from the same bottle. Causes enough friction so that bolts need to be removed all the way with a socket and not my fingers. In the mid-eighties a buddy helped me build a chop and he was prone to use blue Loctite - needed a six foot cheater bar to loosen anything he put on. Unless they have changed the formulas, red is medium and blue is like welded in place.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have a blue Permatex and a red Loctite container sitting in front of me. They are both medium strength. Shame they couldn't standardize the coloring for our benefit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts