GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Without taking the whole front shell apart (because I really don't have the skills), is there an easy way to get power to the front?

For example, is there a trick/tip to feed a power cable from the battery under the "gas tank" or some other way to get power?

My bike is a '12. I don't know if there's a problem with the 12v plug in the left pocket, but when I plugged a charger in, it did not work.

Thanks,
Larry

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
I think the 2012 is the same lay out as my 2015 and you can easily pull the cubby out and check the power connection. If I remember correctly, you have to push in the pins to remove them and then push the pin back up to re-install them. But I am working from memory. But the connection is right there and easily checked.

Opps I forgot you might have to remove the side trim. It may cover two of the devices holding in the cubby.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
On occasion, I have used a wire hangar straightened out and then removed either the right or left dash pockets. I will use electrical tape and wrap the wire a couple times to the end of the hangar. I can then run the hangar up behind the shelter and to the opening where the pockets were and pull a new wire through. I will usually only do this if I am in a rush to do something but it has worked. Many times later, when I have the time, I will do it right and pull the shelter so I can zip tie the wires to existing wiring to make it more secure.

For my phone which I have mounted on left handlebar, I use the power port in left pocket using a USB adapter plugged in and a very long micro USB charging cord. I drilled a hole in the bottom of the pocket and run it towards the triple tree and then removed the handlebar cover so I could run it up inside the plastic handlebar cover. Makes it a lot neater and no loose cable to deal with.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
335 Posts
If you have the 12V power port in the left pocket already, it is a fused circuit. Have you checked the fuse?

Reactions: GLblinded

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you have the 12V power port in the left pocket already, it is a fused circuit. Have you checked the fuse?
I'm sure there is a fuse and it may be the issue. However, I don't know where to look for the fuse as I did not receive an owners manual with the bike when I purchased it. I'll probably just look on YouTube and find out how to check it.

Reactions: GLblinded

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I'm sure there is a fuse and it may be the issue. However, I don't know where to look for the fuse as I did not receive an owners manual with the bike when I purchased it. I'll probably just look on YouTube and find out how to check it.

On mine, I have a fuse attached to harness just behind the left pocket power port. Take a look there. Also the other fuse to check would probably be #6 as I believe the acc terminal fuse is also used in the same circuit as the powerport.

Reactions: LEBoyd

·
Vendor
17,787 Posts
My bike is a '12. I don't know if there's a problem with the 12v plug in the left pocket, but when I plugged a charger in, it did not work.

Thanks,
Larry
I would remove the trim strip, then the pocket, and see if your power port is plugged in. Some have a 3amp fuse, in a fuse holder, that can blow under the pocket. If both of those are good, check your charger by plugging it in somewhere else.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I would remove the trim strip, then the pocket, and see if your power port is plugged in. Some have a 3amp fuse, in a fuse holder, that can blow under the pocket. If both of those are good, check your charger by plugging it in somewhere else.

Come to think of it, I've had a number of chargers blow the fuse in a cars power port. Generally its a 15A circuit. A 3 A fuse doesn't stand a chance.

·
Vendor
17,787 Posts
Come to think of it, I've had a number of chargers blow the fuse in a cars power port. Generally its a 15A circuit. A 3 A fuse doesn't stand a chance.
I'm sure Honda intends it to be a charging port, or a power port, for electronic devices like a cell phone.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I'm sure Honda intends it to be a charging port, or a power port, for electronic devices like a cell phone.

That's what I'm referring to, a cell phone charger or power cord for a radar detector, GPS or similar that develops a short in it It happens quite a bit in my business.
Sometimes the charger has a fuse in it at the tip. If the fuse in the accessory charger is blown, the power port gets blamed for that too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts