GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read another thread about the key fob for wings and it got me thinking about how I use mine and other little things I do. So I thought it would make a good thread to have people pass on some good ideas for touring bike riders.

First tip ...
I don't use my fob, I put it in my riding jacket inside pocket and I have a spare key locked in the trunk. Hopefully I never loose my key, but if I do ...my fob is in my pocket
Second tip...
I use a leather shoe lace through the hole in my key and have it tied in a loop, just big enough to get my hand through it. When I get off my bike I put it on my wrist (hopefully I never need to use tip #1) and the leather lace will not mark up your bike.
Third tip...
I went to the dollar store and purchased a Scam Wow I put it in a zip lock bag folded flat and put it in the trunk. At the motel I will soak the Scam Wow and put it over the windshield for 5 minutes. Then just wipe off the bugs with little effort and no expensive cleaners (your windshield will love you for it) Less marks !

What do you do to make life on the road easier?

·
Registered
166 Posts
roll your gear

good tips... i roll all of my gear..this takes up less space than folding and i can pack alot more gear on my bike this way.

·
Love The DCT
11,795 Posts
I read another thread about the key fob for wings and it got me thinking about how I use mine and other little things I do. So I thought it would make a good thread to have people pass on some good ideas for touring bike riders.

First tip ...
I don't use my fob, I put it in my riding jacket inside pocket and I have a spare key locked in the trunk. Hopefully I never loose my key, but if I do ...my fob is in my pocket
Second tip...
I use a leather shoe lace through the hole in my key and have it tied in a loop, just big enough to get my hand through it. When I get off my bike I put it on my wrist (hopefully I never need to use tip #1) and the leather lace will not mark up your bike.
Third tip...
I went to the dollar store and purchased a Scam Wow I put it in a zip lock bag folded flat and put it in the trunk. At the motel I will soak the Scam Wow and put it over the windshield for 5 minutes. Then just wipe off the bugs with little effort and no expensive cleaners (your windshield will love you for it) Less marks !

Pack a brewski or two. :cool::doorag:

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
travel tips

I keep an extra key taped inside my boot with duc tape.

Don't have to be a tour rider to do this. I figure better safe than ........

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I keep a hundred dollar bill rolled up inside an empty chamber of my Smith & Wesson.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Tips

I keep a spare key taped to the underside of the passenger floorboard with the allen wrench stashed in the left pocket . . . I'm just not telling which side.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I keep a spare key taped to the underside of the passenger floorboard with the allen wrench stashed in the left pocket . . . I'm just not telling which side.
Now, you have really confused me. You mean I would have to look under...both floorboards, to find it. You sly devil. :joke:

·
Registered
297 Posts
shoulda turned left at Albuquerque

We met a Harley Rider in Kansas and asked him about helmet laws in his state. He told us to hang out at the gas station for a few minutes and he rode home and brought us a Harley Road Atlas. It had all the helmet laws in a chart and pretty decent maps too..That atlas gets more use than anything else in our bags..
I keep a couple 20 dollar gas cards in with the insurance papers in the locked cubby.
I have found that hotel cleaners are glad to give me a clean old towel that I can use to help get the bugs off windshield..
I have no idea where my spare key is :shrug:. I should get one..

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
That's a GOOD one. :thumbup:

Now lets not EVERYONE do this or it'll be ruined like the "house-key under the door mat was. :22yikes:
thecruiser

·
Canuck
2,826 Posts
For longer trips I carry two microfibre coths. One is moist in a ziplock bag, the other is dry. Good for wiping and drying the windscreen.

I always ride with the faceshield open on my modular helmet, unless it's raining. I put a strip of black electrical tape along the bottom edge of the faceshield. When I'm riding into the sun I pull the shield down just a bit to block the sun.

When I tow my trailer I use wax paper folded 3 or 4 times to put on the ball. And keep a box of wax paper with me.

Any other tips & tricks?

·
Banned
1,247 Posts
If it is raining i get some towels from the gas stop and tuck them under the windshield on the dash to wipe the water away from my visor! I need to start carrying a xtra key.

·
Registered
297 Posts
swell idea!

If it is raining i get some towels from the gas stop and tuck them under the windshield on the dash to wipe the water away from my visor! I need to start carrying a xtra key.
Now why didnt I think of that?? :agree:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Great tip, I think I'll use that one.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I kept a extra key on top of my trailer hitch behInd the back fender in one of the magnet cases. Was on there from 2002 until sold in 2011

·
lightley seasoned member
3,082 Posts

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
I had a spare key made, cut it off and used jb weld. Inserted the key into a new knob. It stays in my gas tank key hole 100 percent of the time even when left outside at night. It is to short of a key to fit the ignition, so i always have a spare key, anyone else but a wing guy would think it was a regular knob and not a key. Hot towel to windshield and then a softer one to clean it up. Never clean it while i am riding only the next morning before I ride. Slide a $20.00 bill up in my left faring pocket and put it all the way to the right in the slot.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts