GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

Has anyone successfully installed a TIR-3 brake light flasher in a flush-mount, i.e., recessed in the rear fender where the reflector is?

I have some positive feedback that it's possible, I just want to hear from someone who has actually done it before I go ordering one.

Thanks in advance,

Jim O'Dowd (Big Cat)
Franklin, TN

615-604-2100

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thought I'd run this up the flagpole one more time...surely I'm not the only one who wants to recess-mount a TIR-3 brake flasher in place of the reflector...just wanting to confirm that there's enough room behind the reflector for the TIR-3 body. And also to confirm that wiring the TIR-3 into the existing brake lights won't mess with the Canbus system.

Anyone? Is there anyone out there? Or is everyone quarantined...?

·
Administrator
4,021 Posts
Big Cat. I've got an LED programmable brake light in the position you are talking about, just not positive it's a TIR-#. But if it is, then yes, they'll fit. But I put it in my '12 and just grabed a hot brake line. Got a funny feeling you may have to run your hot line all the way back to the battery. Someone with the 1833's can chime in here.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In case anyone's interested in doing this, I finished the flush-mount install of the TIR-3 in the rear fender. Came out looking quite nice, save the small abrasion above the license plate light where I got a little careless with the Dremel.

There is a plastic "rib" on the rear of the fender that will have to be trimmed...but that's a piece of cake compared to cutting the oval hole.

·
Registered
517 Posts
How did you wire it? When I tried to add an LED strobe head to my canbus BMW the price of admission is about $150 for a canbus compatible device or lighting kit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts