GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is personal preference..But which tire for Colorado mtn roads. My OEM tires are shot. Price is not a consideration

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I have enjoyed my Bike more since I put Bridgestones on it.

OEM Dunlops were ok, had 9000 miles on them, and replaced them with E-3's before going on a long trip out west.

Maybe the E-3's were bad out of the box, but I hated them. Rough riding, Noisy, and the rear eventually seperated on me.

Bought B'stones, and will never go back to any other tire.

JMHO

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
"Other" options

Feel free to ask the same question here:

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31

It's always nice to have lots of information and a full range of options and then make your own decision.

"Thousands of darkside riders, tens of millions of miles of actual experience. But what could we know?"

·
Registered
269 Posts
For the rear tire there seem's to be many good option's from the darkside to the enlightened side, but on the front the Bridgestone 709 is the only tire I will run.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
If you want M/C tires the Bridgestones are the best I've found, if you into running something else, go to the link above.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
When I rode motorcycle tires front and back my favorite were Avon Cobras!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Been running avon cobras for 7,000 miles so far and no complaints yet, so far I really like them.
All most like adding Hemi power to a wing!

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
For the rear tire there seem's to be many good option's from the darkside to the enlightened side, but on the front the Bridgestone 709 is the only tire I will run.

:agree: My bike had a 709 on it when I bought it & I replaced it with a 709. Completely satisfied & see no need to run anything else.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Stones, front and rear, for me.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Getting my first set of stones put on Friday. I'm in a somewhat damp climate and the word on the street is the stones handle wet roads very well. I shall see and very soon since fall is upon us.

·
Immortal Member
3,084 Posts
I know this is personal preference..But which tire for Colorado mtn roads. My OEM tires are shot. Price is not a consideration
I use a Pirelli Run Flat with a 709 on point and like this setup very well.

The first two MT I had on the back would not stand up to the wear and tear we get from the roads out here.
They provided a lot of pucker power in the corners too, always skipping out on me.

But then maybe I take some corners a little too eagerly....

Get something on that bike quick, it's September in the Rockies!!

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I like the Avon Cobra rear. They last me about 6K. More or less. I have heard stories about them, but take that with a grain of salt. I mount my own tires so , I do not tear the bead or damage them during install. I think a lot of tire problems come from that.

I have worn out two, have the third one mounted, and I have not noticed any bad things. I am pretty picky with tires too. On the center stand and rotated a couple times and carefully checked before each ride. When I take one off the rim I inspect it inside carefully.

It does grip well, dry or wet. It does roll into a curve very well. I like it just fine.

·
Registered
639 Posts
This forum may have answered a question for me. I recently purchased a 2002 with E 3's on it. The front tire is virtually new. It is a hummer on certain roads. I thought it may have been front bearing noise, but it come and goes depending on the asphalt.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
This forum may have answered a question for me. I recently purchased a 2002 with E 3's on it. The front tire is virtually new. It is a hummer on certain roads. I thought it may have been front bearing noise, but it come and goes depending on the asphalt.
The E3's seem to last the longest and have the highest load rating, but they do start to humm in the corners at around 7-8,000 miles. I get about 15,000 out of a set.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I love the Metzeler 880's and they are absolutely superb in the twisties. More importantly, in the rain.

Enjoy your ride through Colorado.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
:agree:

Got 18k out of my last set. They do "humm" so that's a negative, but seem to last longer than the others AND are pretty tough when it comes to resisting nails and debris punctures.

The E3's seem to last the longest and have the highest load rating, but they do start to humm in the corners at around 7-8,000 miles. I get about 15,000 out of a set.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts