GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a beautiful 2008 1800 Wing with ABS and Nav. I'm the 3rd owner. I have about 12000 mile on these tires and it's time to put new tires on. I've noticed the front tire wear was wearing more on the left side (clutch lever side) of the bike. It was very noticeable when driving especially in the corners. I have Centermatic on the bike. They work great. My friend and I were wonder if the off set of the rear tire because of the Centermatic moving the wheel away from the mounting hub. That caused the uneven wear on the front tire. There is also a super brace on the front forks, that was there when I purchase the bike. Are the new tires supposed to be balanced even though I use the Centermatics. Any advice on what may or may not be the problem. Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,635 Posts
Plenty will chime in, but I'll jump first.

Tire wear on left side of center is normal. two conditions contribute to this. We drive on the right side of roads that are crowned in the center. So we lean left slightly to correct for the slope of the road and spend more time on that side of the tire. Second, our left turns and left curves are longer than right turns and curves, again because we drive on the right side of the road.

IMHO, it would be a waste of time and money to balance a tire and wheel on a bike with a dynamic balancing system already installed.

Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information. The brace I have on the forks is a Traxxion. I was wondering if that may have been installed incorrectly. The directions are fairly simple and not very detailed on weather the bike needs to be on the center stand or not to get a good alignment. Your bike looks like mine, great choice of color. Great mind think alike.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Hoss, if your theory is true wouldn't it follow that Goldwing riders in countries that drive on the left side of the road would see more wear on the right side of their tires? And wouldn't all motorcycles in the US show the same uneven wear on the left side?

I can't prove it, but I think it has more to do with the anti-dive system in the left fork and the single dampener in the right fork. The front brakes could also be responsible, since the left and right calipers are not applied equally. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Hoss, if your theory is true wouldn't it follow that Goldwing riders in countries that drive on the left side of the road would see more wear on the right side of their tires? And wouldn't all motorcycles in the US show the same uneven wear on the left side?

I can't prove it, but I think it has more to do with the anti-dive system in the left fork and the single dampener in the right fork. The front brakes could also be responsible, since the left and right calipers are not applied equally. Just my opinion.
I am a former owner of a 1992 Kawasaki 500cc Vulcan. It did not have any "anti-dive" on the front forks and the forks internally were idientical left and right. It did have a consistent pattern of wearing a bit more on the left of center of the front tire---- at least for the 2 tires I put on the front!

Just my observation.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Tire wear

I am a former owner of a 1992 Kawasaki 500cc Vulcan. It did not have any "anti-dive" on the front forks and the forks internally were idientical left and right. It did have a consistent pattern of wearing a bit more on the left of center of the front tire---- at least for the 2 tires I put on the front!

Just my observation.
This is a very good write-up on tire wear.
http://www.rattlebars.com/tirewear/index.html

Wayne

·
Premium Member
5,635 Posts

Len, I have seen more wear on left side than right side of tires on multiple bikes, R6, FZ1, Shadow, 2 VTXs, even my Harley back in '78. I also believe some of our "wrong-side" riding friends from across the pond will chime in that their extra wear is on the right.

OP, call Traxxion to be sure, but if all other components are mounted correctly and tight, I doubt it would matter what position the bike was in when the fork brace is tightened up. At rest there is just not enough pressure on the forks to get them out of whack.

Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,635 Posts
Or, maybe it's just me. My politics lean soooo far to the right, my bike has to lean left to keep me on the road! IDK.

Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Len, I have seen more wear on left side than right side of tires on multiple bikes, R6, FZ1, Shadow, 2 VTXs, even my Harley back in '78. I also believe some of our "wrong-side" riding friends from across the pond will chime in that their extra wear is on the right.

OP, call Traxxion to be sure, but if all other components are mounted correctly and tight, I doubt it would matter what position the bike was in when the fork brace is tightened up. At rest there is just not enough pressure on the forks to get them out of whack.

Tapatalk
This is subject that just keeps popping up. I get a lot of the wear on the left side and always have. We have a lot of crown on the roads here and I travel mostly on secondary roads. Nothing out of alignment here either. Just road surface plus a lot of chip and tar which not only wears the tires faster but is slippery and noisy as well.

I suppose if one believes his bike is out of whack, just go for it and start dismantling parts. :lol:

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Centramatics don't offset front wheel as they are mounted on each side behind the brake rotors and independent of the hub. They would have no bearing on this tire wear.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts