GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know where I can find a Dunlop Elite 3 (130/70 R18) tire for a GL1800? EVERYONE seems to be "back ordered"!!!

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Where have all the tires gone, long time passing......

Tires are gone, but some folks on here seem to know where there are a lot of tires.

Hope someone chimes in and lends a hand.

Bulldog

·
Registered
18 Posts
The dealership I work for has rec'd a couple of tires here and there over the last couple of months...not enough to fill all demand by any means, but for the few folks who put deposits down and wait it has been worth it.

I would suggest taking your local yellow pages and calling everyone in your town & maybe the next....you'll probably have luck somewhere along the line.

Good luck & ride safe!!

Joe

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
There are some trike take offs on Ebay. Some are rather high priced, but at least there are some available.

I agree that some dealers are getting a trickle of tires, but most of them are radically overpriced. My backorder email from Hal said the end of the month. You might want to get on someones list, just in case.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
I just got a set of 704/709 Stones from HDL.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Are the Bridgestones available in a 70 series for the rear? I have seen the 60's advertised but not the 70's.

Thanks,

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
I think people have had better luck with E-3 and Avon "70" rears than Bridgestones. Maybe due to the softer sidewall of the stone. I am a satisfied "Avon 70" person.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I ordered a set of E3"s early so I would have them in the garage when I needed them.
When I ordered them I found them at
americanmototire.com
They told me they were backordered and it might take a couple of weeks before they got any in.
4 days later the new tires were at my front door.

:cop2:

Ken

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ordered a 709 and Avon 70 from HDL. Received both a week later.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just bought and mounted AVONs 130/70HR18 and 180/70HR16 (70 series rear) on my 02 1800 Blurple (which, as everyone knows, is the fastest bike). Got them at the Dayton (OH) Tires Unlimited last Friday. Pd $375 for the set. They were out of everything else for the 1800.

Good luck, I just happen to be atthe right place at the right time. :D
donho

·
Registered
20,955 Posts
this whole tire thing is getting crazy

i ordered a set of Metzlers on the Labor day sale and sent a note that i was in no hurry for the tires so ship to those in need first

yesterday a rear Metzler was delivered here by UPS, wonder when i will see the front tire

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Announcements have been made for months about the impending "Tire Shortage".

All we heard, was this and that one had tons of tires.

Some tires have been trickling in against backorders. Never enough to fill any real amount of backorders.

70 series tires do not count, in the discussion of OEM tire fitment fulfillment, from any of the dealers or other sources.

I still today, have Dunlop rears and fronts that are on backorder since May. The other manufacturers are not doing much better.

Just because a dealer/source ships a few tires, does not mean that the shortage is over. Reports on this board about 60 series delivered can be misleading as well misinformation about the overall tire availability situation.

I have seen numerous replies about try this source or that source. Well i have tried some of these sources and they will take your Internet order, but when you call they are out of stock and placed you in a backorder situation without notification.

I am neither a smart man, nor prophet. But, till this situation gets better, I suggest that if you have tires, you keep them. If you can find some tires, you might want to consider buying them.

I feel that this situation will get better, once the north, closes it's riding season, and the manufactures get caught up.

Do what you do, do as you must. But at this writing the tire situation is bleak, and there is no light showing from the other end of the tunnel.

Bulldog

·
Registered
270 Posts
E3's

He has a warehouse full of Dunlop E3's and has been heard to claim that he is single handedly responsible for the market shortage of E3's.

He also has pretty good prices. I had to get a faulty set of Metzlers replaced there while on a 15,000 mile cross county trip. I had only 700 miles on the Metzs' and I am still trying to get Metzler tire to make them right.

The Metzler tires caused a dangerous tank slapping wobble between 25mph and 50mph both under acceleration and deceleration. All Sports replaced the Metzs' with E3's and no more wobble. I have since put over 13,000 on the E3's and still no wobble and plenty of tread left.

I bought the Metz tires in AZ, while on my cross country trip, I'm now back home in OH., but Metzler wants me to send the tires back to AZ for warranty coverage. If the tires are faulty, which would seem to be the case, I think Metzler should replace them here in OH. Am I missing something?

When I asked Metzler for an OH dealer to handle the warranty, they suddenly went deaf to my problem. I have not heard from them since, despite nearly half a dozen emails.

I know that any tire manufacturer can have a problem with a tire on occassion, but when they don't make it right, you wonder about the manufacturer.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
now its an official shortage

i pulled the last set of metzlers from under the bed and had them put on today

if it gets really bad, ill have to ride the valkyrie, i have another set for that under the bed

theres still tires on ebay for sale

·
Registered
503 Posts
JLFrazier said:
Anyone know where I can find a Dunlop Elite 3 (130/70 R18) tire for a GL1800? EVERYONE seems to be "back ordered"!!!
I have a brand new dunlop elite 3 still with the shipping card board.I want to try the new front bridgestone.If you can get one of these I will swap you.I live in texas.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts