GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are the Dunlops that I have on order with just one distributor. The date at the end is the supposed delivery date. Do you think I will get all of these tires at the end of the week? I don't think so.

Part# Qty Model Due Date

314433 114 ELITE 3 130/70R18 FRT Est. 2006/09/30
300840 2 G850 180/70ZR16 REAR Est. 2006/09/30
310556 8 D404 140/80-17 WWW AERO FRT Est. 2006/09/30
310556 50 D404 140/80-17 WWW AERO FRT Est. 2006/09/30
311520 50 K555 170/80-15 WWW REAR Est. 2006/09/30
314400 10 ELITE 3 250/40R18 REAR Est. 2006/09/30
314431 50 ELITE 3 150/80R17 FRT Est. 2006/09/30
314432 100 ELITE 3 180/70R16 REAR Est. 2006/09/30
314433 550 ELITE 3 130/70R18 FRT Est. 2006/09/30
314434 500 ELITE 3 180/60R16 REAR Est. 2006/09/30
314434 5 ELITE 3 180/60R16 REAR Est. 2006/09/30
310556 20 D404 140/80-17 WWW AERO FRT Est. 2006/09/30
314433 200 ELITE 3 130/70R18 FRT Est. 2006/09/30
314432 35 ELITE 3 180/70R16 REAR Est. 2006/09/30

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Hal,

Your backorder list is quite a bit larger than mine, but we share the same ficticious "fill" dates...LOL

Bulldog

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Just curious as the "why". Any insight, fact or conjecture as to why the backorders are so common right now?

Unfortunately I had to pay a premium to get one recently since you were backordered and my need came up (or should I say flat) rather unexpedently.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great White Wing said:
Just curious as the "why". Any insight, fact or conjecture as to why the backorders are so common right now?

Unfortunately I had to pay a premium to get one recently since you were backordered and my need came up (or should I say flat) rather unexpedently.
Lots of rumors but its as if Dunlop has almost completely stopped making motorcycle tires. Maybe their car tire business is more profitable.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Seems to be the same problem with Bridgestones. Maybe its an end of the season thing, has this happened before.

I remember a few years ago , I had the same issue with getting tires for my Zuki 1500LC at about this time

·
Registered
298 Posts
Maybe?

Maybe the tire mfgs are tired of hearing about all the 'wobbling' issues they are being blamed for!!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Metzler Tire tells me that their phone is "ringing off of the hook".

I bet it's not the people calling, to tell them just how happy they are with Metzler tires.

At least not based on my experience with them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JimRo said:
Seems to be the same problem with Bridgestones. Maybe its an end of the season thing, has this happened before.

I remember a few years ago , I had the same issue with getting tires for my Zuki 1500LC at about this time
Well it was:

A before the season started problem

A during the season problem

And now an end of season problem.

Maybe this is part of the problem:

Big tires are in short supply; Issue may most affect heavy-
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, The, Mar 7, 2005 by RICK ROMELL
With construction season soon to bust open in Wisconsin, heavy- equipment owners could face increasing difficulties finding the tires that keep their graders and scrapers rolling.

Big tires from the 25-inch sort that might support a wheel loader to the 12-foot-tall giants used on haul trucks in Minnesota iron mines are in short supply.

Dealers are scouring secondary markets to fill orders. Manufacturers are allocating tires to customers. New equipment sometimes is being shipped without rubber.

Driven by an economic rebound that caught the industry by surprise, the pressure is being felt from distributors in Butler to dealers in New Mexico and beyond.

"It's a global situation," Goodyear spokesman Dave Wilkins said. "You can just about go anywhere globally and find that the tire industry is having some difficulties supplying for all the demand that's out there."

The effects in Wisconsin appear to be limited so far. But the squeeze could be around for a while, industry participants said.

Advertisement

"It has not affected us yet. (But) there is definitely a shortage, and from what I'm hearing, it's just going to continue to get worse," said Bobby Harbin, Milwaukee-based sales administration manager for Fabco Equipment Inc., a Caterpillar dealer in Wisconsin and Upper Michigan.

"I've never seen anything like this," said David Douglass, a Milwaukee-area salesman for Wingfoot Commercial Tire Systems, a Goodyear subsidiary. "There are literally no tires in many sizes."

The shortage has developed within the last year. Some observers say one reason is an increase in federal government purchases to support military operations and infrastructure-building projects in Iraq and Afghanistan.

But the most commonly cited cause is simply mounting worldwide demand for a product made in factories that cannot be expanded quickly.

"This demand is unprecedented in the history of the industry and was unanticipated," Dick Wilkerson, chief operating officer for specialty product lines at Michelin North America, said.

A key source of the growing appetite is China, where a surging economy has spurred a frenzy of construction. Several observers pointed to the booming Asian nation, which already is soaking up huge volumes of commodities such as steel, scrap paper and plastic, as a factor in the big-tire shortage.

But Wilkins said the soaring demand is coming from many countries, including the United States.

Goodyear, which is making as many large tires as it can, expects the current demand to continue into 2007.

That could mean prolonged supply problems. According to Michelin's Wilkerson, building new production capacity for big tires takes at least 18 months.

"This simply cannot be put in place inside one year," he said in a statement.

Representatives of Milwaukee-area grading companies said they hadn't felt the tire shortage to date. But Greg Brubakken, owner of Sunny Slope Grading Inc., which sometimes buys as much as $80,000 worth of tires a year, noted that the firm doesn't use its equipment much in the winter.

The Manitowoc Co. Inc. has delayed deliveries of some cranes for lack of tires, said Steve Cripe, controller for the firm's crane group. He said the company also shipped some cranes without spare tires promising them to customers when supplies improve.

An emerging issue

Aring Equipment Co. Inc. in Butler, a Volvo dealer, has received some machinery without tires, sales manager Phil Lamarre said.

The retailer has been able to find tires from local sources, though sometimes not the make and type it wanted, he said.

A spokesman for Caterpillar Inc., a major manufacturer of heavy equipment that's based in Peoria, Ill., acknowledged that "tire availability has been a major issue due to the surge in demand industrywide."

Caterpillar isn't alone. Dennis Slater, president of the Milwaukee-based Association of Equipment Manufacturers, recently met with members of the trade group's executive committee.

"Four or five had said one of the biggest issues they're having right now is getting the large tires for their bigger machines," Slater said.

Goodyear is allocating customers a percentage of what they want in some lines of large tires, Wilkins said.

Prices, naturally, are being pushed up. Lamarre said Aring had seen increases of 6% to 9% from its main supplier and was paying still more when it had to turn to other vendors. Retail prices have risen proportionately, he said.

Fitting earth-moving equipment with new tires can be expensive. One large Caterpillar loader, for example, takes tires that cost $10,000 each, Douglass said.

"I could have sold eight of them this year if I could have gotten tires," he said, "but I can't get them."

Douglass said an equipment dealer called him recently, seeking tires for a big Caterpillar haul truck used in quarries.

"And I couldn't find any tires, so he ended up recapping his," he said.

The squeeze also has spurred demand for used tires and lifted their prices at least 10% to 20%, said Steve Wenk, president of The Tire Welder, a dealer in used earth-mover tires in Albuquerque, N.M.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Have my two pairs of Metz on a shelf in the garage from the hurricaine sale. Thanks Hal. I feel like I'm all warm and snug inside during a blizzard.

Got 11,000 on the current set of Metz and they are still good for a bit more. Can't believe it. I've never made it to 8,000 with any other brand.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Gizmo said:
I NEED MY TIRES!!!!!.......not excuses.
I'm glad I ordered a spare set when Hal first announced that this was coming back in the spring. Thanks Hal, I appreciate all that you do for us!

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
wv_wingman said:
Gizmo said:
I NEED MY TIRES!!!!!.......not excuses.
I'm glad I ordered a spare set when Hal first announced that this was coming back in the spring. Thanks Hal, I appreciate all that you do for us!

Damn, I must have missed that thread. Oh, now I know why I missed it, last spring was when I was a bit preoccupied with planting our crop. Six weeks of sixteen hour days didn't leave a lot of time for screwing around on the computer. (That's my excuse.) This winter, when I have some free time and just to be on the safe side, I'll be sure to monitor the message boards just in case the world is going to run out of tires, oil filters, compressed air or other such modern frivolities.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I just read in Arkansas that the Cooper tire company is cutting 500 jobs. Maybe I should call them and see if they want to make MC tires? 8)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Old Grumpy said:
I just read in Arkansas that the Cooper tire company is cutting 500 jobs. Maybe I should call them and see if they want to make MC tires? 8)
Cooper owns Avon Tires.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Tucker Rocky just filled my backorders of Elite 3's. They have been on backorder since May, 2006.

They are all Sold, and thanks for not asking...LOL

Please do not construe this to say that the tire situation is getting any better. Definitely not globally, just in Woodbourne...LOL

Bulldog

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hal, yes Cooper bought Avon but the Arkansas plant only makes automotive tires. Sounds like a good time to expand and make Avon's MC tires (or is it tyres) in Arkansas that way some of those folks would not loose a job and also put a little pressure on the other makers to keep up. Just a thought 8)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts