GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have any experience with these? Our company is considering using them in their trucks. For the most part the trucks will be traveling at speeds under 55. Apparently a bus company uses them and swears by them. They say they don't balance tires anymore.
It also says they can be used in bike tires although I've never had a problem with improperly balanced tires.

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/

G

·
Motorcycle Consumer News road tested them last year: result: they were not worth the the time and effort it took to do the test.

G

·
Robw , you know sometimes tests aren't worth reading . I have tried these myself and I know others who are using them . Personally I think they work great , esp. if you have chromed wheels ! :)

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Personally I think they work great , esp. if you have chromed wheels !
Why would chrome on the outside the wheel make a difference in ballancing? I really would like to know.

According to their web site, this is what they will do:

You simply won't believe the ride...

Glass smooth ride, every time, all the time.
Dramatically longer tire life
No rebalancing
No spoke or rim weights
Eliminates tire cupping.
Easy to install
Your motorcycle dealer won't want to do it the old way once he's tried Dyna Beads!
If you believe all this, I got a bridge for sale......

Honda just don't get it. By using these, Honda could eliminate the wobble, tires last forever, never cup or scallop, yada yada. Do you think just possibly the claims are exaggerated? Just a little? Or do you really believe the Honda engineers are that dumb?

·
Registered
337 Posts
IR Harry said:
Personally I think they work great , esp. if you have chromed wheels !
Why would chrome on the outside the wheel make a difference in ballancing? I really would like to know.
You don't want to attach a clip on weight to the chrome and scratch it. That's the difference.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I have two Metz tires in my garage. I'm getting ready to mount them up in a couple weeks or so and I plan on using/trying the beads. I've heard nothing but good about them. I think most of the nay sayers haven't tried them. How can the beads not work, seems very logical to me that it should work and work well. 8)

G

·
Right on Wes yer gonna lov'em :)

IR Harry, we're after "The Look" man, the look, not ugly anything, including stick on's . :D

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
OK - you are saying Apearance Only. I will go for that.

Here is what MCN said in Oct 06 issue

Of course, that just THEIR (meaning the editorial staff of the magazine) opinion. I also noted they used a Honda tire - wonder where they got it? All I have ever seen are Dunlops, Avons, Bridgestone, Metezler, etc., mounted on Hondas.

G

·
IR Harry I saw that report, trouble is it is flawed, they used a dynamic balancer for the test. This will NOT work, to quote another rider on this test ;
The beads must be a tire that has a suspension so the beads can move where needed. A spin balance machine will just distribute them evenly but wont change the balance. Kinda like when the heavy part of the tire goes up the beads go to the opposite side therefore balancing it.
Still whistling Dixie :roll:

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Have the laws of gravity changed?
Wouldn't the heavy side expand more than the light side from centrifigul force while going down the road?
Doesn't gravity cause matter to be attracted to the source?
Wouldn't the beeds fall to the low spot?
Wouldn't the low spot be the bulge at the heavy spot of the tire?

I don't know. Been a while since I took a science class.
Just wondering and trying to visualize what might be going on, inside the tire with the beeds in there.

Also, what is the inside of your rim going to look like after using these beeds that are said to be harder than steel. I know that the beeds will be riding on the inside of the tire, not the rim. That is, until that part of the tire pounds the pavement, at which point I would think they would bounce pretty hard up into the rim.
But who knows?
Maybe they work.

Hal, this is getting ugly. I think we need another darksider forum on here.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Still whistling Dixie
Well, Strider, being everyone else is all wet, how about posting your research, research methods, and measured results in detail?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Got some for the bike then noticed the warning to not use them in a low-profile tire. Used 'em on an '86 Suburban with a noticable front vibration at about 55. The vibration moved to 65 and was about 1/4th as bad. Only used half the amount of beads they suggested.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the input. We are planning to use them and I'll keep you informend of our results.

G

·
You guys who use them let us know:

1. how long it takes to get those little suckers in a 90 degree valve stem

2. and if they don't work how long it takes to get them out!!

One question: Why?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
coolhand,

It's my understanding that the 90 valve stem isn't real condusive to thier use. Normaly you would put them in the tire before setting the bead.

I helped a friend a mine put them in the rear tire of his GL1200... He says its much smoother than the ride was before (we took off the old clip on weights).
This was the same tire and rim, and ridden , changed to beads, and ridden again in the same day, so I think its a valid choice... when I replace my tires I'm putting them in!

G

·
daver,

That sounds like a VERY good reason to use that system.

However:

1. I have, for the most part, put alot of stock in Motorcycle Consumer News. They test many products but for ONE reason ONLY. And that is to determine, under realistic conditions, if a product is worth a damn or not. They do that for YOU AND ME, not so they can kiss ass and gobble up advertising dollals.

2. There is always going to be some "expert" who knows more than these guys who have been doing these various tests for years. And they will, for whatever reason, try to say "they be dumb, I be smart". And perhaps in specific areas they are. Personally folks simply have to decide who to put their faith in because, after all, who can test all the products they are considering purchasing? And who would want to? That is precisly why Consumer Reports magazine is so popular and so disliked by scam artists and advertising agencies.

3. Then there is the anecdotal evidence part of the equation that makes the water REAL murky. A definition: Anecdotal evidence is an informal account of evidence in the form of an anecdote, or hearsay. The term is often used in contrast to scientific evidence, especially evidence-based medicine, which are types of formal accounts. Anecdotal evidence is often unscientific because it cannot be investigated using the scientific method. Misuse of anecdotal evidence is a logical fallacy and is sometimes informally referred to as the "person who" fallacy ("I know a person who..."; "I know of a case where..." etc. Compare with hasty generalization). The problem with arguing based on anecdotal evidence is that anecdotal evidence is not necessarily typical; only statistical evidence can determine how typical something is. So there may be some folks that say, "man, that is the greatest stuff for tires since the invention of rubber". But I personally will continue to rely on lead weights applied on my wheels by the same guy who has been spin ballancing them for 18 years. Just call me old fashioned, and yes, I might be missing out on "the next big thing".

4.But daver, the great thing is we are free to make our own choices and I wish you the best of luck with the beads! Let us all know how it turns out.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I can't say how well they work or don't work on motorcycles, but, on big trucks, 18 wheelers, they generate on average an additional 12000 miles on steer tires. I have tried everything from harmonic balancers to air regulation systems and by far the best results were with beads. The Freightliner '01 Columbia was notorious for cupping out tires in only a few thousand miles, after adding beads to the tires that was no longer an issue. I can't say what they do on drive tires, as I only ever used them where there was a problem, and that was on the steers. This stuff really does work, and for the price, can you ask for anything more than that?

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
WVGuy said:
Dunlop does not recommend the use of dry or liquid balancers/sealers and will not warrant tires into which these materials have been injected. Tire and wheel assembly balance must be checked with a balance stand or computer wheel balancer.

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/infocen ... ?id=16#tip

Yea, but they don't recommend cat tires on motorcycles either, shows how much they know. :lol:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts