GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Riders. I need to change both my tires valve stems, meaning I have to unbeed one side and get in there. Plus rear is a car tire, but I don't see that mattering, I'm not taking tires off the wheels, G-d, I hope not. Both wheels are off the bike.
So I just need to break one side bead, hold open while tightening two nuts, and seat again. Installing FOBO T stems.
Anyone in So California, Los Angeles, Orange county, or San Bernardino have the tools for this? And a few hours this weekend, 12-22/23-18 ? I will bring tires to you of course.
Thank you guys and lady's.
Dave.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
If you have an Amazon Prime account, you could order a BeadBuster XB-455 ($99) and have it shipped to your house. Usually arrives within one day.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you have an Amazon Prime account, you could order a BaedBuster XB-455 ($99) and have it shipped to your house. Usually arrives within one day.
Thank you, but I am in a senior living mobile home Community where doing any real work or having place to store tools is quite impossible and fined heavily.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
IronMan
17,627 Posts
Go to harbor frt and get wood clamp $10

Reactions: kwthom and CAWing

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I travel with a modified large C clamp. It will break there bead but terms to deform the tire to what I'd call an extreme. I used a piece of plywood on the back side and position a smaller piece between the screw shaft tip and the tire sidewall to disperse the pressure and prevent facing the tire. Btw it's not easy installing the nuts on those valves. Have a magnetic wand, flash light and rabbits foot on hand. I dropped the darn things at least twice, and had to chase what was left of my rubber stems on the front tire job. If you can magnetize your told to hold the nuts you might avert that fun fishing adventure. I used regular water most to line the tire bead when airing them up again. BTW, at home I use a HF bead breaker.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Reactions: Dave.David969

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Use the plywood or similar for backing, but two C-clamps works better than one. Position each one a few inches each side of the stem, tighten, then you have a pretty good area of the tire pushed back to easily change the stem. Works easy on the front and rear motorcycle tires. A car tire if runflat may be tough to do, non runflat will be easy.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Use the plywood or similar for backing, but two C-clamps works better than one. Position each one a few inches each side of the stem, tighten, then you have a pretty good area of the tire pushed back to easily change the stem. Works easy on the front and rear motorcycle tires. A car tire if runflat may be tough to do, non runflat will be easy.
This looks like what I'm going to do. I will hit H F on Sunday morning for the clamps and see what happens. Still hoping someone with the tools is available to work on it with me.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Please understand there is very little room to work and you end up working around the rim and bead that don't allow straight tools. I bent up a cheap box end wrench to hold the nuts and used silicone lube on the valve and rubber seals since you will likely end up finessing the nuts as close as painful with one finger tip, then holding then with the wrench, turning the entire valve and locking the two nuts together with a tiny 1/4" drive socket wrench.

Reactions: revrunt

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Please understand there is very little room to work and you end up working around the rim and bead that don't allow straight tools. I bent up a cheap box end wrench to hold the nuts and used silicone lube on the valve and rubber seals since you will likely end up finessing the nuts as close as painful with one finger tip, then holding then with the wrench, turning the entire valve and locking the two nuts together with a tiny 1/4" drive socket wrench.

Dam..
I take it you have done this before.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Since you have no decent shop to work in my advice would be to take the wheels to a tire shop and pay them to install the new valve stems and be done with it.
Hi cycledude, you missed something, a shop is not a option as no shop in the area will work on a car tire on a motorcycle rim.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Luckily on another site someone told me of a shop about 70 miles from me that might do it.
I'd still like to find someone simi local so I'm not rushed to do the job that so many have pointed out is very difficult. One thing at a time. So back to original question;
Anyone have a tire bead breaker in LA, Orange county or San Bernardino county with time this weekend to help me swap two valve stems? Tires and wheels off the bike, I will bring to you or meet wherever. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Yes Dave, I accomplished it early summer, but I have E-4s and they have very strong sidewalls. I couldn't compress the loose side down far enough to clearly access the inside of value stem. Just read your on the dark side, it might not be as hard. Still if you have a run flat it could be just as hard.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Be careful working on the tire. If it slips and your hand is in the tire it will "smart" a bit. On the darksider board there is a list of people that will help a darksider mount a tire Maybe one of them can help you.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Hi Riders. I need to change both my tires valve stems, meaning I have to unbeed one side and get in there. Plus rear is a car tire, but I don't see that mattering, I'm not taking tires off the wheels, G-d, I hope not. Both wheels are off the bike.
So I just need to break one side bead, hold open while tightening two nuts, and seat again. Installing FOBO T stems.
Anyone in So California, Los Angeles, Orange county, or San Bernardino have the tools for this? And a few hours this weekend, 12-22/23-18 ? I will bring tires to you of course.
Thank you guys and lady's.
Dave.
A RF car tire has a VERY stiff sidewall. I doubt you can do what you need on it with a C clamp. Take it to a shop (tell them it’s off a trike) and let them do it for $20. Done deal . . . :grin2:

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
The last time I did a valve stem swap, I had to (not only) break the bead down, but I took one side of the bead loose. That allowed the tire to slide across far enough to get the the "back" side of the valve stem with little trouble. Then, it was a simple(?) matter to put the first bead back on and air it up.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, I did get it done, and patch/plugged a nail hole in the car tire, plus replacing dust seals. I will install the wheels later this week when I can.
I want to thank all you, but mostly thank the very few who actually read and answered my question. See I never asked how to break the bead, I asked for someone to work with me, help me to do the work, hopefully someone who already had the tools to make the job easier.
** I did do the job myself, taking way to long to do because I have physical limitations making this job very painful.
***** The front wheel went pretty well and quick enough. The wood clamps worked well.
** The back tire, not a run flat, was something else all together. The two heavy wood clamps could not squeeze the tire to the halfway point where I could get my hand in there. I could get a finger in there, big hands didn't work well for me in this case. I did pull tire one side up off the wheel to try and patch the nail hole. With out any kind of work bench or way to hang the tire it was next to impossible to do the patch correctly. So I decided to first "plug" it then patch it. And of course I am using that Ride on stuff to both balance and seal the tire. The Ride on did not seal the nail hole but maybe that's because the nail was still in it. At 30 psi the car tire flexes, maybe not allowing the Ride on to seal.
*** Thank you much to those who offered their place and equipment to do the work. And thank you all who offered a way to breaking the bead. I hope you all are having a great Xmas today. Dave.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Makes you think twice about repeating that Fun, eh? I totally thought it sukd and dread having to repair a flat in the middle of the desert. Glad you succeeded though.

Reactions: Dave.David969
1 - 20 of 30 Posts