GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's been lots of pro's & cons about using Ride-On tire sealent in tires, but i thought I would post my findings with the use of Ride-On.

I run Ride-On in both my motorcycles, a '02 VTX & a '03 Wing. Well today I had the rear tire replaced on the VTX and was curious as to the effects of the tire sealent on the rim. When the tire was removed I inspected the tire and the rim and I want to let people know that there was absolutely no corrosion on my rim, as a matter of fact the onlyevidence of the sealent on the rim was two smal drops approx. 1/8 - 1/4 inch in diameter, and it wiped right off. The sealent was spread evenly throughout the center of the tire as advertised. Next week I'm having both tires replaced on the Wing and I'll report my findings on them also.

So, as of now, the question is. Would I use Ride-On in my tires again?
My answer will be definately YES

I believe that it is a safe product and works as advertised.

Just thought some of you would like to know this first hand information. 8)

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Big Wes said:
There's been lots of pro's & cons about using Ride-On tire sealent in tires, but i thought I would post my findings with the use of Ride-On.

I run Ride-On in both my motorcycles, a '02 VTX & a '03 Wing. Well today I had the rear tire replaced on the VTX and was curious as to the effects of the tire sealent on the rim. When the tire was removed I inspected the tire and the rim and I want to let people know that there was absolutely no corrosion on my rim, as a matter of fact the onlyevidence of the sealent on the rim was two smal drops approx. 1/8 - 1/4 inch in diameter, and it wiped right off. The sealent was spread evenly throughout the center of the tire as advertised. Next week I'm having both tires replaced on the Wing and I'll report my findings on them also.

So, as of now, the question is. Would I use Ride-On in my tires again?
My answer will be definately YES

Just thought some of you would like to know this first hand information. 8)
If you place an order make sure you get a discount. If you don't have a code already, I have one setup for my Sabrehood.org forum. Just type "sabrehood" in the coupon box and you'll save 10%. If you followed the link that doesnt work on my site, I'd get paid, but I'm more interested in people getting the discount than in me making a few cents.

Matt

http://www.thesabrehood.org

·
Registered
17,090 Posts
My son put it in his VTX tires last year and there has bben no problem noted in ride or balance, so far. When we change his tires I will report any problems found, or lack there of.

I used it in my GL1800 one time without problems. There were some dried globs of it stuck to the rim, but these cleaned right off with hot soapy water and dish scrub pad and left no pitting or corrosion. I did get a box staple in the rear tire while using the Ride On product and it worked as advertised - no noticiable air loss. When I repaired that tire with a glue slathered sticky rope plug, the rubber solvent glue and the sticky rope were unable to bond with the tire rubber. The plug stayed put for what short term of duty it served, maybe a few thousand miles, but its the only sticky rope plug I have been able to pull back into the tire after the tire was dismoounted -- all others have broken off flush instead of opening the old perforation site in the tire carcass - vulcanized into the wound. I also guess a sticky rope, or even several of them together, might at least temporairly patch a large hole or tear while one limped back to civilization ever so cautiously; where as teh Ride On would likely just ooze out and continue to allow teh tire to deflate. Then again, the Avon tires seem so stiff that thy are able to stay mounted even running flat for a short time (pretty iffy proposition though). So, I carry an air supply and sticky rope kit instead of using Ride On, but have no real basis to not recommend to it for folks who prefer not to plug a perforated tire.

prs

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
stuff

Fred H. said:
You couldn't pay me to put that stuff in my tires.
Fred,

What are the issues?

·
Vendor
22,225 Posts
Re: stuff

preacher said:
Fred H. said:
You couldn't pay me to put that stuff in my tires.
Fred,

What are the issues?
1. It just plain doesn't work. It won't plug any hole bigger than a pin.

2. It makes tire repair or plugging impossible, so if you do get a real leak, like from a nail hole, your only option is to call for a tow and replace the tire (plugs can no longer vulcanize).

3. It introduces a foreign liquid into your wheels and has been documented to cause corrosion.

4. It makes tire changing a mess.

5. You can't use it if you have tire pressure sensors in your wheels, which I am told is coming to ALL US made bikes very soon.

6. It provides you with a false sense of security and in reality reduces your chance of being able to repair a tire and continue on.

7. You can't properly balance a tire with this stuff in it, and I don't believe it does a very good job as acting as a balance liquid, especially when it has been found to dry out over time.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
It cost me extra to have wheels cleaned , that had globs stuck to wheels, same as co-worker. Buy as you will, as a matter of fact I have a 2 pack to sell, still in box. Email me!

·
Registered
510 Posts
I won't use tire sealer because it can mask an object such as a screw or nail in a tire. If the object stays in the tire long enough it can eventually ruin the belt and make the tire non-repairable. Personally i don't mind riding on a repaired tire and would rather find the leak and repair it as soon as it happens rather than after the screw has worked itself around in the belt and ruined the tire.

·
Registered
49 Posts
But can you use the tire sealant and when a puncture is found,

Will the "Stop and Go mushroom" plugs hold in a "treated tire"?

·
Registered
1,819 Posts

Fred H. said:
preacher said:
[quote="Fred H.":3nycbsuc]You couldn't pay me to put that stuff in my tires.
Fred,

What are the issues?
1. It just plain doesn't work. It won't plug any hole bigger than a pin.

2. It makes tire repair or plugging impossible, so if you do get a real leak, like from a nail hole, your only option is to call for a tow and replace the tire (plugs can no longer vulcanize).

3. It introduces a foreign liquid into your wheels and has been documented to cause corrosion.

I await your clarification of your personal use / experience with TPS.

4. It makes tire changing a mess.

5. You can't use it if you have tire pressure sensors in your wheels, which I am told is coming to ALL US made bikes very soon.

6. It provides you with a false sense of security and in reality reduces your chance of being able to repair a tire and continue on.

7. You can't properly balance a tire with this stuff in it, and I don't believe it does a very good job as acting as a balance liquid, especially when it has been found to dry out over time.[/quote:3nycbsuc]

I asked you on the other thread if all these statements were actual witnessed true fact that you have first hand knowledge of and I don't believe you ever answered. I ran TPS in my sabre and it didn't corrode my aluminum wheels, it didint' glop, I had no problems at all. You've read what I posted in the other forum but yet you still spew the same "Expert opinions" about this product. I'll ask you again:

Have you used it and run across these problems that you so expertly cite?

Are you sure the TPS was installed in the right quantity and per the instructions? I know first hand that the amount that is supposed to be put in the tires will not glop if the instructions are followed as far as intall it, then take the bike out and ride it to disperse the TPS around the inside of the tire.

I'm sure you inspect your tires before every ride, so you would find that odd nail or screw or whatever was in your tire and you could get the tire replace ASAP, so the only thing TPS did was get you home.

You say it won't stop anything bigger than a pin. Is this also from personal experience, or from hear say that someone told someone and that someone told you so now you say it and everyone says "IF FRED SAYS IT'S CRAP, THEN IT'S CRAP!"

Where's the documentation that says TPS causes corrosion on the wheels? You state it exists and as a publc service to everyone on this board, maybe you can share those studies with us.

Tire pressure sensors? Perhaps that might be an issue.. but since I'm not riding a bike that isn't made yet.. it's a non-issue right now!

Tire Plugging? Again, do you have first hand knowledge of trying to plug a tire that has TPS installed per the instructions?

Here's the bottom line Fred.. you have more knowledge and experience with wings and motorcycles than I'll ever have and because of that, when you speak almost everyone takes it as gospel fact. When I watch your DVD's and see you doing it.. I can take it as gospel fact because I know you're the one doing it. When you start posting negative comments about products, you might want to "Clarify and Validate" those statements. It's the same as if I started posting that Your DVD's are very low quality and some of the procedures are crap. I was told that they were, so therefore I'm going to pass that on and make it my public stance on "FREDS DVD'S". In fact, I very much enjoy your "Entertainment DVD's" and I feel that I can say that because I'm actually using them.

So what's your personal experience with using TPS on YOUR motorcycles and how many of YOUR wheels did it corrode. I stress YOUR because we all know you would follow the instructions so that would be a more valid evaluation of the product. I dare say many more users would feel that maybe 'MORE IS BETTER" and maybe "If I put more in, it's work better".

You have put your EXPERTISE into the public arena and since you have, I have the obligation to point out when I think your opinion is not based on factual evidence.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Big Wes said:
Not corroding rims and spreading evenly are nice, but those things by themselves are not reasons for installing the stuff. The one thing nobody has commented on, and it's the only valid reason for putting that stuff in your tires, is whether it actually sealed a puncture. And I don't mean a nail puncture - those usually don't leak until you pull out the nail. I mean something jagged like a sheet rock screw. The best I've heard anyone say about the product at this point is that it gave them a warm, fuzzy feeling and didn't do anything harmful. Big deal.

I agree with a lot of what Fred says, and also with the opinion that it will create a false sense of security. Stow a plug kit and a small inflator in your trunk if you're paranoid about getting a flat, and check the tires' condition frequently. Don't consider any liquid tire sealant as a permanent tire repair or flat tire insurance.

Stu

·
Vendor
22,225 Posts

mattcaswell said:
I asked you on the other thread if all these statements were actual witnessed true fact that you have first hand knowledge of and I don't believe you ever answered.
A buddy I was ridding with picked up a nail with this stuff in his tire. First of all, it didn't even seal the nail hole and it all leaked out around the nail and the tire still went flat. Then when we pulled the nail, more of it leaked out. Again, it couldn't seal the hole. Then we tried to plug it. Again, the plug wouldn't hold due to goop in the hole. What would have been a 15 minute tire plug fix turned into major fiasco.

As for corrosion on wheels, I have personally seen photos of corrosion on the rims of four different bikes, both GL1800 and FJR as well as photos of the Ride On sealant turned to "oatmeal" flakes inside the rim. I don't need to put it in my own rim and have corrosion on my wheels to know it has happened to others.

Look, I have an opinion just like everyone else on this board, and the freedom to express it. I may not always be right and many times I am not. My opinion is that this stuff is junk, and I would not put it in my own bike. Take it for what it is worth.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Big Wes said:
... Well today I had the rear tire replaced
Big Wes,
I have no experience with the stuff on a motorcycle.
I have used it on my golf cart and it did not help, but that was just a slow leak around the bead area and I was trying to extend the life of a rusty rim.
Not a fair test.

I have a favor to ask ...
Next time you are at the point of replacing a motorcycle tire that you have with the sealant in it would you drive a nail into the bottom before you take it off the rim?
Then, pull the nail out.

I'd like to know if it seals the leak when you pull the nail out.

thanks in advance,
Dennis

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
I drove a tiny nail in mine before a change out... It didn’t work, slowed it down but did not seal it. After removing the nail I attempted to use a rope plug but it would not seal due to the ride on product.

Next both my rims were FULL of corrosion. The rear so badly it had to be replaced (corrosion pitted the rim so bad under the valve stem seat it wouldn’t hold air after clean up). Not a huge cost as you can buy near new rear rims on EBay for about 50 bucks. I was fortunate that my front wasn’t as bad so I did not have to replace same. Had that been the case you do NOT find them on eBay very often and when you do the cost is anywhere from 3 to 4 hundred dollars.

The upside is Ride on did send me my money back... wooooo hoooo they stood by the warranty and I got my 35 and change which I applied towards the 70 bucks the rear rim cost with shipping.

So you can run Ride on and you may be one of the lucky ones that end up with no corrosion. It probably won’t stop any leaks but whatever floats your boat. So you can have a small nail cause a slow leak that a rope plug would have sealed or you can hope ride on will work knowing if it doesn’t your S.O.L.

Then again……WORSE case scenario, you could be one of the unfortunate souls that have his or her rims destroyed and possibly be out several hundred dollars.

In the end it’s your money and everyone has the right to risk gambling it away any way they choose.

BTW.. Im one of the people who posted Pics of the damaged rims that Fred may be refering to. Do a search, they may still be there. Im with Fred except I wont call it junk, In my book its absolute crap. I lost money once and damn near lost several hundred over the silly arse warranty they offer. Silly me, I should have known all they would have to do is give me my money back and I would have to eat any other costs.

I have learned my lesson the hard way. Thats the stupid route I took after having seen some other pictures, and I shamefully admit that. Anyone that chooses to learn the same lesson them selves has that right.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
wingwing said:
Big Wes said:
... Well today I had the rear tire replaced
Big Wes,
I have no experience with the stuff on a motorcycle.
I have used it on my golf cart and it did not help, but that was just a slow leak around the bead area and I was trying to extend the life of a rusty rim.
Not a fair test.

I have a favor to ask ...
Next time you are at the point of replacing a motorcycle tire that you have with the sealant in it would you drive a nail into the bottom before you take it off the rim?
Then, pull the nail out.

I'd like to know if it seals the leak when you pull the nail out.

thanks in advance,
Dennis
I will try to do the nail test, and I will also try to plug the tire with a rope plug. That's the type of plugs I carry on both my bikes.

I wonder if any extra glue was applied to the plugs before inserting them on the previous post, I always coat my plugs with extra glue, and have had good success that way.

I figured this thread would cause a little pot stirring when I posted it. I just wanted to post my findings and not create a fued.8)

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Big Wes.. No fued, I just think several of us feel both sides need to be told as well as the consequences if it doesnt work out. This isnt like deciding on one wax verses another and being bummed about the lack of shine and the 15 dollars spent. In this case if it goes wrong it can set someone back hundreds of dollars. People need to have this information and keep it in consideration when making the decision.

To answer your question,, yes I used plenty of glue and yes I have experiance in plugging as well as patching tires. I've patched hundreds of car tires from the inside and used rope plugs on several motorcycle tires. I no longer use rope plugs that require glue. Once I tired saftey seal I havent looked back

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Joseph said:
Big Wes.. No fued, I just think several of us feel both sides need to be told as well as the consequences if it doesnt work out. This isnt like deciding on one wax verses another and being bummed about the lack of shine and the 15 dollars spent. In this case if it goes wrong it can set someone back hundreds of dollars. People need to have this information and keep it in consideration when making the decision.

To answer your question,, yes I used plenty of glue and yes I have experiance in plugging as well as patching tires. I've patched hundreds of car tires from the inside and used rope plugs on several motorcycle tires. I no longer use rope plugs that require glue. Once I tired saftey seal I havent looked back
I agree both sides need to be told. It was your post from a while back that made me wonder about the sealent because of your findings. I had already had the sealent in my tires and was curious as to if there were any problems with my rims, but as I stated above, what results I found in my my tire and on my rim. The Gold Wing is next to have tires changed, we'll see how they turn out. 8)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts