GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking about purchasing my own tire changer. Can anyone tell me of their experience with the no-mar tire changer? Has anyone ever used one with a run flat?

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Not used it on a car tire, but have a friend that has the Professional NoMar model and it's very nice.

I have the Coats 220, had it for 15 years and it's served me well, but I've only used it for motorcycle tires.

If I was to buy a manual tire changer, I would buy the NoMar, but with that said, there are others that are pneumatic, in the same price range that I would consider first.

Check some of these out
Tire Changers at Greg Smith Equipment

·
Registered
601 Posts
I picked up a Cycle Hill Changer (made by No-Mar) earlier this year and have absolutely loved it. I haven't tried a car tire yet so I can't comment specifically on that.

I will likely upgrade to a pneumatic model in a couple years.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Installing a runflat is a little more difficult, but very doable. My set up is a Harbor Freight, with some mods and I use it with a no scuff tire tool (similar to a mojo). The first bead will go on pretty easily, then comes the second bead. Use good technique, patience and you will be able to get it on. When putting on that second bead, some guys use a ratcheting tie down opposite the side where you start to hold the bead down towards the center of the tire. Also, if it's not really warm or hot where you are doing the install, a heat gun to warm up the tire, especially the last 12 to 18 inches really helps. Tires need to stretch to get over the rim and a warm tire stretches better than a cold one!!

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I use a No Mar and like it very much. The warranty on the plastic parts helps. I somehow got into mounting tires an have mounted over 50 run flat tires for my self and others so it does work and much better that the Harbor Freight so don't waste your money. Get the best No Mar you can get and enjoy it. Also get the 3 of the extra hand clamps and a yellow thing. They will tell you they will not work on a car tire but they do and they replace the wood blocks. The yellow thing hold the tire and keeps it from walking around on you.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I'm really thinking about the nomar so it helps to know that others have used it. Now all I need is a little more money.

·
Registered
487 Posts
The No Mar Paste Works Super Great. Get some. You could make your own Spray lube.
David

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
No Mar has the paste they recommend, I have never tried it because I use Dyna Beads and it would hold them. I also do not use tire lube for the same reason. I use Silicone, not WD 40 just Silicone. It works very well as a lube and is absorbed by the rubber so it does not affect the Beads. This is just what I do others may have another way.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Wonder if these would help?

$9.99 at HF web site. They can be adjusted so the jaws are at quite an angle.

I have 3 pairs of those. Never thought to use it on the tire changer. Good idea!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I have 3 pairs of those. Never thought to use it on the tire changer. Good idea!!!!!!
If they would pinch at enough of an angle they should work. Worth a try, if it works let me know.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts