GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the best manual tire changer and where do you buy one. tired of dealing with bikeshops and the attitude when it comes to tires.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
If you do a search, you will find PLENTY of threads on this one.

The ones that always stand out are the No Mar and the Cycle Hill (from the same company but cheaper).

Check out No Mar's web site with videos of changing a Wing tire at:

http://www.nomartirechanger.com/

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
As Joe Ewing said, there are lots of choices.

All depend on how much money you want to tie up in all the changer and all the accessories that go with it. You will need an air compressor if you don't already have one.

What about balancing? Centramatics are about $230, tho that is a one-time shot. Dyna-Beads are about $10 and can be re-used if not lost in demounting. Otherwise you will need a balancing stand and adaptors.

And how much money you want to tie up depends on how much you are going to use it (how much do you ride and how often do you need new tires?) and storing it when not in use.

The more you spend the easier tire changing gets.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
The least expensive is a large C clamp or other method to break the bead (there are many, just google for it) and about three long tire spoons, (16-18") with that and a old soda bottle (cut up for rim protectors) you can change your own tires. Throw in some beads or buy the balancing rings and you're done. If you have tender knees and don't like wrestling tires into submission on the floor, then as already mentioned above, you will want to buy a real changer.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
I've had my Coats 220 for 16 years, great tool, but I think the NoMar unit is better. The Coats 220 was pretty much the only one around when I bought it.

I like the NoMar wheel clamps, I think they are made of Delrin. My friend bought the NoMar Professional unit and has it bolted to the floor of his enclosed trailer.

I think you could get away with the Classic model.

My Coats and the NoMar models need to be anchored to something solid. I bolted my Coats 220 to a piece of 3/4" plywood, 4' x 4'. I unbolt it when not in use.

I bought the Cycle Hill conversion, from NoMar, for my Coats. Biggest pile of %^%$&. The wheel clamps would not hold the wheel firm enough, as I tightened them, the clamp just deformed in shape.

I have the NoMar bead breaker, I sent my Coats bead breaker to NoMar and they used it as a pattern to develop their conversion unit, so I got a free one from them.

I have the NoMar mount/dismount bar, but I have more success with the Coats bar.

I use the NoMar tire lube and the NooMar Yellow Thingy.

If I was to buy a manual tire changer again, my choice would be
1) NoMar Professional
2) NoMar Classic
3) Coats 220

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
for what you buy the nomar for a few more bucks & you can by a power one!! need 110 volts & air!!

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Watched the install video. Lot more manual work than I thought. All the machine did was hold the tire. Thought it would be more automated.

If you do a search, you will find PLENTY of threads on this one.

The ones that always stand out are the No Mar and the Cycle Hill (from the same company but cheaper).

Check out No Mar's web site with videos of changing a Wing tire at:

http://www.nomartirechanger.com/

·
Registered
658 Posts
I just bought 3 spoons off ebay for next to nothing. It was a set of 3 spoons.. They looked cheap but i said what the heck. I have a large c-clamp about 10 inches or so. I broke the bead and with the 3 spoons it took me about 15 minutes to remove and remount the new tire. It was a snap.

I do suggest 3 spoons. 2 just didnt give me enough to walk the spoons around the rim.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts