GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read on here summer tires vs winter tires. I'm am horrible with search engines and finding what I want. I am going with a 195/55/16 tire. I want the best traction and ride even if I don't get super long mileage from the tires. And good in wet weather.

I like what I see on the Goodyear triple tread. Is that considered a summer tire? What tire fits my criteria?

Also the whole thing hinges on will I still be able to use my factory tpms on my 2010 or is pressure too low and the light will stay on?

Dw

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
I too have a 2010 with TPMS. I am using (on advice from another person on this board) a Sunny SN3830 195/55/16 non run-flat winter tire. I use 43-44 lbs of air in it and that seems to be the ticket. Run-flat tires are happiest at high 20 to low 30 lbs of air due to their stiff sidewalls. If you run this pressure then yes, your light is either going to come on and stay on or at least flash all the time. I did not want that so I went with a NRF and so far (5000 miles) I am quite happy with it. I pull a small trailer at times and it just seems to be a great all around tire.

It took me a couple of days to get used to a CT after decades of running only MC tires but now it is like it has always been back there. Smooth and quiet too. AND, it was only only around $90 shipped to my door! Can't beat that!

I am not saying that I am never going to run a MT again, but I will say that I have no plans on ever going back. How's that?

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I read on here summer tires vs winter tires. I'm am horrible with search engines and finding what I want. I am going with a 195/55/16 tire. I want the best traction and ride even if I don't get super long mileage from the tires. And good in wet weather.

I like what I see on the Goodyear triple tread. Is that considered a summer tire? What tire fits my criteria?

Also the whole thing hinges on will I still be able to use my factory tpms on my 2010 or is pressure too low and the light will stay on?

Dw
ddub... the Triple Tred is a great tire, but you will not find it in a 195/55/16. Smallest you will find is a 205/55/16 or a 205/60/16(my personal fav) other than that, as has been said... you will need to go to a non run-flat to keep your pressure high enough not to set off your TPMS...:thumbup:

·
Registered
19,164 Posts

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
The terms "summer" and "winter" when referring to tires may be a bit confusing, since summer and winter mean different things depending upon where you live.

Here in SoCal, summer is dry, while winter is our 'rainy season', though it usually amount to about 12-15 inches from Dec-April. We don't get 'cold' weather (below freezing) unless you ride up to the mountains, so ice/snow isn't an issue.

In other parts of the country summer is rainy, while winter is snow/ice.

For my purposes, the Kumho is an 'all season' tire -- great in rain*, great when it's hot, and I've had no problems riding in temps in the upper 20s-mid 30s -- though that experience limited!

I personally wouldn't ride on icy/snowy roads on any tire, but I'm just a SoCal native who doesn't need to consider that type of condition.

YMMV

*The first time I rode in the rain was unplanned. I went to a PGR mission about 50 miles from home and when it was over and I got on the freeway -- the sky opened up. I did the usual safety things: slow down, no sudden movements with the bars, longer stopping distances.

I expected the ride home to be a puckerfest. Boy was I disappointed! The Kumho gripped the freeway like it was dry -- no squirrelyness, no slipping, no hydroplaning.
Yep, it's my "all-season" tire!

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
<...>I personally wouldn't ride on icy/snowy roads on any tire, but I'm just a SoCal native who doesn't need to consider that type of condition.

YMMV

*The first time I rode in the rain was unplanned. I went to a PGR mission about 50 miles from home and when it was over and I got on the freeway -- the sky opened up. I did the usual safety things: slow down, no sudden movements with the bars, longer stopping distances.

I expected the ride home to be a puckerfest. Boy was I disappointed! The Kumho gripped the freeway like it was dry -- no squirrelyness, no slipping, no hydroplaning.
Yep, it's my "all-season" tire!
Your comment brings up a point to share...

On my SS ride I mentioned elsewhere about running into hail on the road surface. I had already backed down to...oh, I wasn't paying attention to the speedo - too busy keeping the bike on the road while the hail was beating me to death - as I rode on it! :22yikes:

I'm pretty sure that I would have wiped out had there not been a BMT on the rear at that instant on that ride. The front was very washed out, but keeping enough power to keep moving...the back end felt much more stable.

Several hours later, heavy rain - in the dark...and I was able to maintain 60+ with no issues.

...and you're right, YMMV - a lot!

BTW, using a Pirelli at this time.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ymmv.....??

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok.....

Like I said, though. I really could care less about getting 5%-200% more tread life. I want better performance and safety. I went down on my 08 1800t vtx and I blame it 80% on the p.o.s. dunlop tire and 20% rider error. Stupid hurts and if I can eliminate the 80% then I can deal with the 20%.....lol.

I was lookin at girls when they were dealing out smarts so I just have to live with what little I got.

Dw

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Thanks Travelin! I didn't know my link didn't work. Hopefully it will keep working now!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Dw, it appears you are making conflicting statements. You say your biggest concern is safety, yet you want to maintain the (in my opinion) nearly-totally-useless honda OEM TPMS. The OEM TPMS has an idiot light that is extremely difficult to see (as I understand it) and it provides no information. There are several aftermarket TPMS systems that will tell you the pressure of each tire as well as the temperature. However, by limiting yourself to tires that will make the OEM TPMS happy, you may be excluding run-flat tires which provide the thickest, most supportive sidewalls out there. Just something to think about.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Dw, it appears you are making conflicting statements. You say your biggest concern is safety, yet you want to maintain the (in my opinion) nearly-totally-useless honda OEM TPMS. The OEM TPMS has an idiot light that is extremely difficult to see (as I understand it) and it provides no information. There are several aftermarket TPMS systems that will tell you the pressure of each tire as well as the temperature. However, by limiting yourself to tires that will make the OEM TPMS happy, you may be excluding run-flat tires which provide the thickest, most supportive sidewalls out there. Just something to think about.
Very good TravelinLite! And this comes from a non run flat guy!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
338 Posts
My 175/60/16 is a run flat that is very happy to run 40psi grips like dry in the wet only drawback is increased rpm about 200 at 60. Best of both worlds looks to make at least 20k for me. What more could you ask for?

·
Registered
338 Posts
If you are close to dfw lets go for a ride sometime want to try it out we can swap bikes on the ride.

Dw

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Thanks Rocket.

Steve, while you are doing fine with your RF at those pressures, most RFs will experience premature center tread wear at 40 psi.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Thanks Rocket.

Steve, while you are doing fine with your RF at those pressures, most RFs will experience premature center tread wear at 40 psi.
40psi in a run flat, ain't that like going into sudden death wear out!:22yikes::lol::lol:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's only conflicting if u use your "opinion". Unless the monitoring system does not work or has such a long delay that your tire goes flat before u can get pulled over, then it wouldn't be useless. I can see the light even though I'm 50 and eye sight is not as good as before. Would it be nice to know tire temps so u could react to different conditions? Yes! Would I use it ? No.

As far as run flats, I don't feel like that is something I would do. I mount run flat tires occasionally on Lexus vehicles and " in my opinion " feel like the sidewall would be too stiff and you would get a "coming over center" roll over or feel when cornering. I don't like that feel when going thru an exchange around here when a groove gives you that little ....push.

I may still get some of that and am willing to spend the $100+ to find out. Apparently no mt works on a wing looking at all the comments on the non darkside topics on here.

Dw

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you are close to dfw lets go for a ride sometime want to try it out we can swap bikes on the ride.
That would be great. I'm at 360 and Debbie lane.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts