GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have but 14k miles on this Bridgestone and it is in balance. One person told me it was because I am very aggressive leaning in the twisties where I live but I find that hard to believe.

It is a 2008 with 32k. Any ideas what could cause it?

Attachments

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That tire is just worn out and not due to aggressive riding. Very lucky to get 14k out of your tires.
Yes it is wore out for sure. It is a BT 45 and should get about 30+k miles. Plenty of tread left but too many lumps and bumps! Lol

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts
I don't have but 14k miles on this Bridgestone and it is in balance. One person told me it was because I am very aggressive leaning in the twisties where I live but I find that hard to believe.

Any chance you can take a picture to show the brand and model of that tire ??? I believe that is a directional, non-radial, that is mounted backwards. That means it is rotating in a direction that it is not designed to rotate.

If all that is true, they all wear like that. To correct your issue, get the correct tire(s) mounted on your Wing. Because of the cupping, you're probably also getting a "buzzing" in the handle bars. Hopefully your hands have not fallen off !!!

I think I saw your pictures on one of the FB pages and posted similar comments there.

·
Registered
9,328 Posts

Very aggressive leaning in the twisties. :serious:

The BT45 doesn't really like to be pushed that hard on the front of the bike. For less aggressive riding, it's a great tire and wears like iron.

Settings for air pressure on that tire?

·
Special Administrator "Internal Affairs" To Facili
6,943 Posts
I use to have that problem. Until I installed Progessive springs and tapered roller bearings in the front.
A few years back when I did ride aggressive I could wear a BT45 out in just a couple thousand miles. The sides would have no tread and the center would look like new. Now that I don't ride as hard I started running BT45's again. I have one I took off the bike ( only because I am getting ready to go to Alaska) that has 15K on it and still looks really good. Probably could get another 15K out of it. But leaving for AK I want new rubber on the bike. The one I just took off has no cupping and is wearing even.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any chance you can take a picture to show the brand and model of that tire ??? I believe that is a directional, non-radial, that is mounted backwards. That means it is rotating in a direction that it is not designed to rotate.

If all that is true, they all wear like that. To correct your issue, get the correct tire(s) mounted on your Wing. Because of the cupping, you're probably also getting a "buzzing" in the handle bars. Hopefully your hands have not fallen off !!!

I think I saw your pictures on one of the FB pages and posted similar comments there.
Greg no, my hands are still here! Lol I don't get a buzzing or feel anything in the handlebars, other than the usual sound when I lean into a curve. I do feel a little bounce when cold and rolling out of my drive but gets better when it warms up. From all I've read the people running both forward and reverse are experiencing cupping so rotation makes no difference. The majority of people have no cupping at all.

https://www.2wheel.com/bridgestone-battlax-bt-45-high-performance-rear-tire.html

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I started at 40 but bumped it up to 42psi after I noticed the cupping

Reactions: GLblinded

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Are you sure ??? I've never seen one that has not eventually cupped. The link you provided says that it is "a rear tire." Why are you using it on the front ??? Also, in many places it says to not mix or use non-radials on a 5th gen. Are you running a non-radial on the rear too ???
When I said "The majority of people have no cupping at all" I was talking about the BT45 only, only a small minority are have serious cupping problems with their BT45. One guy was cupped like mine at 4k! And Yes I know most all tires cup a little towards the end of their life. I've had Metz and others to cup. "Why are you using it on the front ???" I can see you're not Darkside. Lol! Why? Because 12- maybe 20k vs 40,000 to 50,000 miles. Yes you Can run radials and Bias tires. They just can't be on the same axle. No I have a Kuhmo 195/60 Radial on the rear!

Reactions: JoeHall

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Big Tee mine looked about like yours, when I replaced it at a little over 30,000 miles. But it began cupping at a little less than 25,000. From the first mile, I always ran it at 42 PSI, and installed balance beads. Now on my 2nd BT45, I left the balance beads out this time, for comparison.

Reactions: Big Tee

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
BT45 always wears that way. 14,000 miles is better than I got out of them. I had already bought the second one before the first one wore this way, now on the second one and will look forward to going back to the 709 even if it does wear out in less than 14,000 miles. At least it runs smooth and wears correctly.

·
IronMan
17,636 Posts
are you sure ??? I've never seen one that has not eventually cupped. The link you provided says that it is "a rear tire." why are you using it on the front ??? Also, in many places it says to not mix or use non-radials on a 5th gen. Are you running a non-radial on the rear too ???
he's a darkside = wonky tires ! I run bt45 but dont reverse it no issues ! On the 5th one

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Big Tee mine looked about like yours, when I replaced it at a little over 30,000 miles. But it began cupping at a little less than 25,000. From the first mile, I always ran it at 42 PSI, and installed balance beads. Now on my 2nd BT45, I left the balance beads out this time, for comparison.
Wow Joe at least you got 30,000 miles out of it, lot better than 14k! Lol. Keep me posted on how it does w/o the balance beads. I don't think my Ride On has anything to do with it as I've ran them for years on everything, but I might try without it on my new one. Thanks!

Reactions: JoeHall

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
BT45 always wears that way. 14,000 miles is better than I got out of them. I had already bought the second one before the first one wore this way, now on the second one and will look forward to going back to the 709 even if it does wear out in less than 14,000 miles. At least it runs smooth and wears correctly.
Good to know Fluke, I'm putting on a 709 tomorrow and can't wait! I'm kinda spooked riding on the lumps and bumps...nothing worse than having a blowout on the front! :surprise:

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
he's a darkside = wonky tires ! I run bt45 but dont reverse it no issues ! On the 5th one
Wonky tires? Lol I am glad they are working for you John. I have read forum after forum and seems the rotation makes no difference, but I personally don't know since I haven't ran it forward. Just curious, are you a flatlander?

·
Registered
756 Posts
Who would be surprised that the there is a left side wear band on a Gl1800 front tire? Other bikes in the Honda line seem to suffer the same fate. (Valkyrie, VTX).

Used to be rattlebars was the authority on this.

http://www.rattlebars.com/tirewear/index.html

I don’t know any Europeans to ask if they have a right side wear band. Maybe they can speak to this.

I do find it curious that the Harley’s I owned didn’t seem to beat up tires like my VTX and GL.

I have found the sipe pattern on some tires can make the wear and cupping worse than others.

I just ride them to the wear bars and move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
IronMan
17,636 Posts
Wonky tires? Lol I am glad they are working for you John. I have read forum after forum and seems the rotation makes no difference, but I personally don't know since I haven't ran it forward. Just curious, are you a flatlander?
"FLATLANDER " WELL FROM FLORIDA BUT TRAVEL ALL OVER. GOT 35,000 ON THIS YEAR AND MONTH TO GO . BEEN KNOWN TO "LEAN IT" ONCE IN AWHILE !:surprise: :laugh:

Attachments

Reactions: JoeHall and Big Tee
1 - 20 of 27 Posts