GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have the Mich Pilot Active on my 06 with app 12,000 miles on it and today noticed it cupping on the left side only. Run 38-40 PSI. Anyone else having this happen? Still way better than the stock tire which only lasted 4000 miles but had hoped for better. Will be getting new tire in the spring.

It is a rear tire mounted in the normal forward rotation postion.

G

·
No such problem with the Pilot Activ on my Champion trike.

And I don't buy 65K miles on any trike front tire, no matter who makes it, unless all you do is putt around town at 20 MPH.

Must be some magic in those mugs tied to the front tire, or it could be something in the air or water in Santa Cruz. ( a definite possibility) Santa Cruz is well known for all kinds of miracular happenings.

What is (or was) in those mugs? :lol:

Just wondering.

Ride safe. Merry Christmas

·
Registered
241 Posts
Best picture of tire cupping I've ever seen! Now, I can see what everyone has been talking about. I'll bet cupping happens more in the morning than any other time of the day...Right?

·
Registered
337 Posts
:D Outstanding example of front tire cupping. I'm betting the rider "mugs" for the camera, too! :lol: :lol:

G

·
Mama Chicken said:
Have the Mich Pilot Active...
I really don't know if it matters that much, but according to the guys at the Cunsumer Relations Cycle Group of Michelin, "Due to the tire construction and tread pattern, when you put the rear tire on the front, it should be mounted in reverse rotation." You can call them at verify this at 1-800-346-4098

With this same tire, I have about 7,000 miles and no cupping although I do have the "buzz" between 27-33 mph. I have lots of tread left. When I triked, they put on a Metz 880 and at 7,000 it was worn out. So even if the Michelin wears out at 12,000 it's a bargain.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
beastie said:
Mama Chicken said:
Have the Mich Pilot Active...
I really don't know if it matters that much, but according to the guys at the Cunsumer Relations Cycle Group of Michelin, "Due to the tire construction and tread pattern, when you put the rear tire on the front, it should be mounted in reverse rotation." You can call them at verify this at 1-800-346-4098

With this same tire, I have about 7,000 miles and no cupping although I do have the "buzz" between 27-33 mph. I have lots of tread left. When I triked, they put on a Metz 880 and at 7,000 it was worn out. So even if the Michelin wears out at 12,000 it's a bargain.
Now I am really confused. Are you saying you are putting a "rear" tire on the front? I ordered just this AM, the Michelin Pilot Active, but not the rear. What am I missing here??

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
If you ordered a Pilot 130/70 X 18 you Ordered the Rear Tire for a GL1500. That tire is also used for the front of the GL1800. I was told, and have read many times, that for the front, to mount it in reverse direction. Almost all who have this tire mounted on the front have it mounted that way , Except IBTRIKE who disagrees with the theory of the reverse rotation, and the advice of the manufacture, but that's not all that surprising. He disagrees with every thing any way.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I am just blown away with some of the reports I see on tire mileage. :shock: I hope this is a wing thing. On my other bikes the best I have ever gotten is 4k out of a rear tire. The best I ever got was 8k on a Harley. I am really hoping that the wing is as good as I have seen here.

Cheers.
Marc

G

·
WhiskeryGoofy said:
Now I am really confused. Are you saying you are putting a "rear" tire on the front? I ordered just this AM, the Michelin Pilot Active, but not the rear. What am I missing here??
Ok WG, to unconfuse you a little. First it's an "Activ" not "Active" no "e". I guess that's French :?

Second, if you put the "Activ" side by side with a "front" tire with the rotation arrows pointing in the same direction, you will see that the tread patterns don't match. Now turn one so the rotation arrows are going in opposite directions and you will see that the tread patterns now match.

According to Michelin (call that number I gave earlier) the rear tire is designed for acceleration, the front for deceleration - therefore if you put a rear on the front it MUST be reversed to do it's job properly.

Again, this is right from the mouths of the Michelin folks.

G

·
lomax said:
I am just blown away with some of the reports I see on tire mileage. :shock: I hope this is a wing thing. On my other bikes the best I have ever gotten is 4k out of a rear tire. The best I ever got was 8k on a Harley. I am really hoping that the wing is as good as I have seen here.

Cheers.
Marc
Remember this is for trikes... there is s LOT of tire scrubbing with a trike

G

·
beastie said:
Second, if you put the "Activ" side by side with a "front" tire with the rotation arrows pointing in the same direction, you will see that the tread patterns don't match. Now turn one so the rotation arrows are going in opposite directions and you will see that the tread patterns now match.

According to Michelin (call that number I gave earlier) the rear tire is designed for acceleration, the front for deceleration - therefore if you put a rear on the front it MUST be reversed to do it's job properly.

Again, this is right from the mouths of the Michelin folks.
So they have no problem with the application (back tire on the front)... they just want you to be sure about the directionality.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I have the Michelin Activ, too, and it is reversed. A couple of weeks ago, I noticed a vibration in the throttle, as I downshifted. Then, I started hearing something like a rattle from the front end. Couldn't figure it out at first, but after having it in for service, my service guy pointed out that the left side of the tire was cupping. Very noticable.

This is highly disappointing, since I have monitored the air in that tire closely. I keep it at 41 PSI. Only 5,500 miles on the tire. I will try about 2-3 lbs more pressure and look for it to smooth out. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
I installed a Michelin Pilot Activ, REAR, reverse rotation, as suggested by Motor Trike with #41 air. I have 11K on the tire. It shows no wear or cupping. Runs like a hose. It is noisy sometimes, but it is a pavment thing, not the tire in my case.

IF you buy the wheel upgrade from Motor Trike, this it the tire with reverse rotation that they install. I am not a wrench, so I have to listen to the best advice I can get on things I know little about. This is one of the things I know little about, so.....and it works.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts