GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Gl1800 ABS/NAV/Comfort
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had a bad experience with a tire change that I would like to share.
I had taken a rear wheel to a local motorcycle shop to have a new powder coat paint job and install a new Pirelli P1 tire.
This same shop had done the tire that I was presently installed on my bike. Meaning a new powder coat paint job and the install of a new Pirelli P1.

Three weeks in, I contacted the shop and my wheel had not yet been painted. No problem, as I had told them I was in no big hurry. The tire I was riding on was in need of replacement. I asked if I brought my current wheel in if they could change the tire and give them more time to paint the one I had originally taken them. So the plan changed and I laid the wing over in the garage, removed the wheel and took to the said shop to have the new tire that I had previously supplied them installed on the old wheel.

There was one guy in the shop, all others had taken off on a weekend motorcycle trip. Now I would think if you have a pneumatic tire machine, this would make the install of a new tire go flawlessly. I know the P1 is a run flat, stiffer sidewalls, car tire on motorcycle wheel etc, etc. This guy struggled, the wheel was slipping in the wheel machine, he was prying with tire irons, repositioning the wheel, the tire, adding lube, his machine was ripping rubber from the inner edge of the tire, I'm watching this go on for 30 minutes, he admits he doesn't know the tricks to get this tire on the wheel. He apologizes for the wheel being chewed to death when it is slipping in the grips of the tire machine. I tell him no problem, this is not a show bike, all the while grimmacing on what my wheel is going to look like. Finally getting the tire on the wheel and aired up, all I want to do is pay for the service and get home.

While getting the tire back on the bike, I noticed a bulge in the sidewall, not good, not good at all. Trying to forgive what I had witnessed when the tire was being installed on the wheel, I made a bad decision to wish this problem away and let her be. I made one ride about 25 miles with no problems. Then the day came when the wife and I was riding to a birthday party roughly 40 miles away. Yes, this bad decision was sitting on my shoulder calling me a dumbass but I failed to listen. Almost there the bike was wiggling when arriving at stop lights. Pulled into a convenience store and checked tire pressure, below 20 psi, I aired up to 35 psi.

I debated on calling AAA or attempting the 40 mile ride back home. I have an aftermarket TPMS mounted on a tee stem which gives me the tire pressure on a display. Another bad decision was to try the attempt to make it back home. I did have the TPMS and trusted it even though it was not very accurate when I had pulled into the convenience store earlier and found it below 20 psi, it said I had 27 psi.

About 15 miles into the trip home, the tire deflated to zero, my TPMS was inaccurate as it was still reading 32 psi even though it was flat. The good thing is that the run flat head up to its namesake, I was able to make it to the next exit and make it safely into a convenience store. This was approximately a mile and half I run on the run flat. It was a bit squirrelly at slow speeds but got me to a safe place. Made the call to AAA and made it home on the back of a flatbed truck.

I share this story for I made some bad decisions to ride on a tire that I knew had issues. In my opinion this is a success story of a run flat dark side tire that deflated but kept me upright and moving till a safe place could be found. I do believe this tire was damaged during the install, but certainly no way to prove that. I will not be asking the installer to take responsibility, I'm simply repurchasing a new P1 and will seek out a new installer. It's already hard to find someone to install a dark side tire on a cycle wheel.

A new P1 will be delivered tomorrow, tomorrow I will pick up my recently powder coated wheel and try and find someone to do the install.

I live in North East Houston area, If someone knows of a good installer willing to mount dark side tires, please leave me a comment.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I believe someone just posted here yesterday, and provided the name of the motorcycle shop that installed his CT, in the Houston area. Might wanna do a search of recent posts here on the subject.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I recently had a bad experience with a tire change that I would like to share.
I had taken a rear wheel to a local motorcycle shop to have a new powder coat paint job and install a new Pirelli P1 tire.
This same shop had done the tire that I was presently installed on my bike. Meaning a new powder coat paint job and the install of a new Pirelli P1.

Three weeks in, I contacted the shop and my wheel had not yet been painted. No problem, as I had told them I was in no big hurry. The tire I was riding on was in need of replacement. I asked if I brought my current wheel in if they could change the tire and give them more time to paint the one I had originally taken them. So the plan changed and I laid the wing over in the garage, removed the wheel and took to the said shop to have the new tire that I had previously supplied them installed on the old wheel.

There was one guy in the shop, all others had taken off on a weekend motorcycle trip. Now I would think if you have a pneumatic tire machine, this would make the install of a new tire go flawlessly. I know the P1 is a run flat, stiffer sidewalls, car tire on motorcycle wheel etc, etc. This guy struggled, the wheel was slipping in the wheel machine, he was prying with tire irons, repositioning the wheel, the tire, adding lube, his machine was ripping rubber from the inner edge of the tire, I'm watching this go on for 30 minutes, he admits he doesn't know the tricks to get this tire on the wheel. He apologizes for the wheel being chewed to death when it is slipping in the grips of the tire machine. I tell him no problem, this is not a show bike, all the while grimmacing on what my wheel is going to look like. Finally getting the tire on the wheel and aired up, all I want to do is pay for the service and get home.

While getting the tire back on the bike, I noticed a bulge in the sidewall, not good, not good at all. Trying to forgive what I had witnessed when the tire was being installed on the wheel, I made a bad decision to wish this problem away and let her be. I made one ride about 25 miles with no problems. Then the day came when the wife and I was riding to a birthday party roughly 40 miles away. Yes, this bad decision was sitting on my shoulder calling me a dumbass but I failed to listen. Almost there the bike was wiggling when arriving at stop lights. Pulled into a convenience store and checked tire pressure, below 20 psi, I aired up to 35 psi.

I debated on calling AAA or attempting the 40 mile ride back home. I have an aftermarket TPMS mounted on a tee stem which gives me the tire pressure on a display. Another bad decision was to try the attempt to make it back home. I did have the TPMS and trusted it even though it was not very accurate when I had pulled into the convenience store earlier and found it below 20 psi, it said I had 27 psi.

About 15 miles into the trip home, the tire deflated to zero, my TPMS was inaccurate as it was still reading 32 psi even though it was flat. The good thing is that the run flat head up to its namesake, I was able to make it to the next exit and make it safely into a convenience store. This was approximately a mile and half I run on the run flat. It was a bit squirrelly at slow speeds but got me to a safe place. Made the call to AAA and made it home on the back of a flatbed truck.

I share this story for I made some bad decisions to ride on a tire that I knew had issues. In my opinion this is a success story of a run flat dark side tire that deflated but kept me upright and moving till a safe place could be found. I do believe this tire was damaged during the install, but certainly no way to prove that. I will not be asking the installer to take responsibility, I'm simply repurchasing a new P1 and will seek out a new installer. It's already hard to find someone to install a dark side tire on a cycle wheel.

A new P1 will be delivered tomorrow, tomorrow I will pick up my recently powder coated wheel and try and find someone to do the install.

I live in North East Houston area, If someone knows of a good installer willing to mount dark side tires, please leave me a comment.
Nitro Cycles in Deer Park just did a CT for me this week. The young guy behind the counter advised caution but was cool about it after we talked. Then he was interested to hear how it goes after I’ve ridden it some. I asked if he wanted me to let other folks know, and he said sure send em my way. So you shouldn’t have any trouble.

They did not scratch my F6B rim, but he said it was harder to install than a regular MC tire.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT Airbag
3,111 Posts
I buy my CTs from Discount Tire and they mount them for free. No damaged tires so far.
Well,
That is you, and YOUR Discount tire service your area. As I stated in a recent thread about C/T's, I recently went to my Discount Tire in our area and they wouldn't touch my Wing wheel even though I was willing to buy a tire from them. I promptly said Thank you and drove to a private tire shop about 2 minutes away. They didn't even blink at a motorcycle wheel and the thought of me wanting a C/T on it. I went into the office, talked to the sales person about what they had, he showed me two different 205's and I picked one.

We then took that new 205 over to the techs along with my Wing wheel and old tire on it and they went to work. From the time they started removing the old 200 off that Wing wheel, to the time they handed me the wheel with that new 205 on it, was about 2 minutes. DONE!

My Discount did mount a C/T on my old Wing wheel several years ago without hesitation. For some odd reason, they balked at the operation this time. No biggie, I instantly found a new source.
Scott

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Car tires are harder to mount than standard m/c tire. When you saw the guy having trouble you should have stopped him. I have a neumatic changer in my garage. Different brands are harder to get on than others. I think if going to tire shop to have tire mounted. Make sure they have mounted on car wheels before.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Car tires are harder to mount than standard m/c tire. When you saw the guy having trouble you should have stopped him. I have a neumatic changer in my garage. Different brands are harder to get on than others. I think if going to tire shop to have tire mounted. Make sure they have mounted on car wheels before.
This particular shop had painted the wheel and installed the Pirelli P1 that I was currently running, had no problem with that install. When I picked the wheel up, they told me it was a bear to install and told me they had nicked the new paint and did their best to correct the paint. I mean, they were straight up and honest about it. That was my first business with this shop. They discussed having me sign a release of liability form to mount the car tire, but they did not have me sign one. So my first experience with this shop was positive. Really had no reason not to back for a second install. I guess I could have stopped the guy when he was struggling, but struggling with the run flat sounds like a common theme. Damaging the tire or sidewall really was never a thought I had. I had used a different shop for previous CT mounts, but that shop has since closed up.

I buy my CTs from Discount Tire and they mount them for free. No damaged tires so far.
I went to a local Discount Tire and give the sales guy the tire size and which tire I was wanting, he looked it up and give the price, then asked what vehicle I was putting on, as I have had most of my vehicles in their shop for tires.
When I told him I was wanting it for a motorcycle he would not even sale me a tire and told me he certainly could not or would not mount it. So I moved on.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nitro Cycles in Deer Park just did a CT for me this week. The young guy behind the counter advised caution but was cool about it after we talked. Then he was interested to hear how it goes after I’ve ridden it some. I asked if he wanted me to let other folks know, and he said sure send em my way. So you shouldn’t have any trouble.

They did not scratch my F6B rim, but he said it was harder to install than a regular MC tire.
Thanks Txbluelacy, Just got off the phone with Nitro Cycles. The guy remembered doing your tire then told me he got in trouble and could no longer mount car tires for liability reasons. So I'm still on the hunt. Got I new Pirelli delivered today, went and picked up the newly painted wheel today, now I need it installer. Thanks again

·
Registered
172 Posts
Thanks Txbluelacy, Just got off the phone with Nitro Cycles. The guy remembered doing your tire then told me he got in trouble and could no longer mount car tires for liability reasons. So I'm still on the hunt. Got I new Pirelli delivered today, went and picked up the newly painted wheel today, now I need it installer. Thanks again
Aww dang! I was counting on using him again!

·
Registered
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT Airbag
3,111 Posts
This particular shop had painted the wheel and installed the Pirelli P1 that I was currently running, had no problem with that install. When I picked the wheel up, they told me it was a bear to install and told me they had nicked the new paint and did their best to correct the paint. I mean, they were straight up and honest about it. That was my first business with this shop. They discussed having me sign a release of liability form to mount the car tire, but they did not have me sign one. So my first experience with this shop was positive. Really had no reason not to back for a second install. I guess I could have stopped the guy when he was struggling, but struggling with the run flat sounds like a common theme. Damaging the tire or sidewall really was never a thought I had. I had used a different shop for previous CT mounts, but that shop has since closed up.

I went to a local Discount Tire and give the sales guy the tire size and which tire I was wanting, he looked it up and give the price, then asked what vehicle I was putting on, as I have had most of my vehicles in their shop for tires.
When I told him I was wanting it for a motorcycle he would not even sale me a tire and told me he certainly could not or would not mount it. So I moved on.
This is what I've stated before. Discount Tire is a very, very large chain tire sales and service establishment. There may or may not be some form of set rules pertaining to out of the ordinary or, outside the box thing for tires and mounting in all the branches. Or, it may be that a manager of any given Discount Tire simply may not want the responsibility or be liable for ANYTHING that can potentially go wrong either during the sale and mounting or after the sale. So, they simply say NO!

Other Discount Tire managers might look at your m/c wheel and tire and see that you want a car tire on it and go right ahead and do what you would like, without even thinking twice about it. As I stated earlier in this thread, my local Discount Tire did sell and mount a C/T for me on my '08 Wing several years ago and didn't hesitate. But, when I recently brought them my wheel/tire off my present '18 Wing, they said NO immediately.

But, a private, rather large tire shop (not a motorcycle shop) didn't even skip a heartbeat when I showed them my set up and asked if they could mount a 205 C/T on it.

I am not in the tire selling or changing business so, I don't know what kind of insurance must be carried or liability must be assumed in that business. Maybe it's that part of the coverage that causes certain decisions to be made, maybe not. Maybe it's equipment at a given shop that can't handle a motorcycle wheel, heck I don't know. If I didn't luck out and find that private tire shop that handled my C/T sale and install, I'd have got it done somehow.
Scott

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just got the new Pirelli installed at Discount Motorcycle Tires on Spencer Hwy in Pasadena, the name on the front of the business says On The Border Motorcycle Sales. Struck up a conversation with a gentleman that just so happened to be the owner. Told him the story in my original post, he was highly interested in seeing the tire when it come off the wheel. He asked me to come to the back to witness the dismount of the tire. He had anticipated and expressed to me what he thought the damage would be, the bead of the tire had been ripped and allowed air to get into the sidewall of the tire. This guy was dead on with his assumption. The tire had been ripped with the steel threads showing.

The employee removing the tire did so with ease, they let me witness the new tire going on, which was going on a newly painted wheel and not the wheel that the damaged tire just come off of. The tire went on smooth as butter, this guy was definitely using different techniques than the guy that damaged the other tire. There was not the slightest scratch on the new paint when he was done. The installer had me inspect both sides of the wheel before he took it to the balancer. Not a scratch.

While he did not directly say it, the owner implied he wasn't a fan of the car tire on a motorcycle. I had told him he was the third call I made this morning trying to find a shop that would mount a car tire on a motorcycle wheel. He kinda seemed in disbelief I was getting told no from other shops. All the no's were for the liability reason.
They will not sell you a car tire, but if you bring one with you , they will mount and balance it without scratching you wheel. Or at least they did mine.

I did ask the owner if he would allow me to put his shop's name out here on the forum for other darksider's looking for an installer. Absolutely he says. Said he had been doing this for 35 years.

I’m looking for a place up north S of Conroe. There’s a couple small shops I’ll check with..
Jsking,
May be farther than you want to drive, but I believe these guys are the real craftsmen of their trade.
This owner had also told me, if they damaged a tire mounting it, he would not let it leave his shop and he would replace the tire. His price was $40 off the bike, $70 on the bike.

·
Registered
2012 and 2014 GW Police Conversions
74 Posts
Just got the new Pirelli installed at Discount Motorcycle Tires on Spencer Hwy in Pasadena, the name on the front of the business says On The Border Motorcycle Sales. Struck up a conversation with a gentleman that just so happened to be the owner. Told him the story in my original post, he was highly interested in seeing the tire when it come off the wheel. He asked me to come to the back to witness the dismount of the tire. He had anticipated and expressed to me what he thought the damage would be, the bead of the tire had been ripped and allowed air to get into the sidewall of the tire. This guy was dead on with his assumption. The tire had been ripped with the steel threads showing.

The employee removing the tire did so with ease, they let me witness the new tire going on, which was going on a newly painted wheel and not the wheel that the damaged tire just come off of. The tire went on smooth as butter, this guy was definitely using different techniques than the guy that damaged the other tire. There was not the slightest scratch on the new paint when he was done. The installer had me inspect both sides of the wheel before he took it to the balancer. Not a scratch.

While he did not directly say it, the owner implied he wasn't a fan of the car tire on a motorcycle. I had told him he was the third call I made this morning trying to find a shop that would mount a car tire on a motorcycle wheel. He kinda seemed in disbelief I was getting told no from other shops. All the no's were for the liability reason.
They will not sell you a car tire, but if you bring one with you , they will mount and balance it without scratching you wheel. Or at least they did mine.

I did ask the owner if he would allow me to put his shop's name out here on the forum for other darksider's looking for an installer. Absolutely he says. Said he had been doing this for 35 years.

Jsking,
May be farther than you want to drive, but I believe these guys are the real craftsmen of their trade.
This owner had also told me, if they damaged a tire mounting it, he would not let it leave his shop and he would replace the tire. His price was $40 off the bike, $70 on the bike.

Yep I’ve been there many times over the years for mc tires. Good to know he’s there and willing to mount them. I found a trike shop up here who has some extra rear wheels from conversions and I’m going to grab 1 Tuesday. I’ll check with him regarding tire mounting. Thanks for all the info!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is incredible how much damage was done to this tire. Both sides of the tire was damaged. I know I sat and watched the guy struggle with this install. But I was not close enough to actually see, I did see a piece of rubber come off but never thought it was this magnitude.
A lot of shops will not let you watch or have access to where the work is happening. I got bamboozled right in front of me and was too ignorant to realize.

The middle picture looks different, like it's not the same tire. But it is the same tire, I think the flash made it look different color.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Grey Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
2012 and 2014 GW Police Conversions
74 Posts
Yep I’ve been there many times over the years for mc tires. Good to know he’s there and willing to mount them. I found a trike shop up here who has some extra rear wheels from conversions and I’m going to grab 1 Tuesday. I’ll check with him regarding tire mounting. Thanks for all the info!
Ok so following up on my last post. I’ve since put almost 9K miles on a Bridgestone run flat CT. Took awhile to get pressure where I felt somewhat comfortable. I rode in 100 plus heat on every type surface. Mountains (yes we have them in TX) hills, valleys and plains. And I pushed it at times, because of having to run up to shut traffic off or push oncoming over ect. I rode in high crosswinds and pounding rain over grooved pavement and thru standing water.
The tire performed well but was difficult at times. Riding thru sweeping curves on hot asphalt was eye opening, Low speeds over sloped pavement was challenging at times.

Bottom line, as hard as I tried to love it I just couldn’t. But I see why there are those that do and I could probably switch to another run flat for better results. But it was too distracting for me and required more work to ride on it, and in high wind it sucked gas. And at 30psi I wore the center out too fast. I could go on with pros and cons but if you ride on one you know what they are. So I went back to a mc tire.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
@Jsking I'm running a Bridgestone Driveguard on my 18 right now and I understand your comments. I'll be going back to a Yokohama avid envignor or trying a Pirelli P1 next. Loved my yokos, much more comfortable riding tire. If your ever in my area you're welcome to try one of my spares for a test run.

Reactions: Jsking

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
This is incredible how much damage was done to this tire. Both sides of the tire was damaged. I know I sat and watched the guy struggle with this install. But I was not close enough to actually see, I did see a piece of rubber come off but never thought it was this magnitude.

A lot of shops will not let you watch or have access to where the work is happening. I got bamboozled right in front of me and was too ignorant to realize.

The middle picture looks different, like it's not the same tire. But it is the same tire, I think the flash made it look different color.

View attachment 408124 View attachment 408125 View attachment 408126
Hey, don't blame me or my dog for this. This tire has all the hallmarks of when my dog gets done chewing on a tire. Another example of why I don't let anyone else work on my bikes. Please post a pic of the rim.

A lot of shops will not let you watch or have access to where the work is happening. I got

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Hey, don't blame me or my dog for this. This tire has all the hallmarks of when my dog gets done chewing on a tire. Another example of why I don't let anyone else work on my bikes. Please post a pic of the rim.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts