GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all:

Tomorrow is tire day... I am being steered by the dealer to go with E3's.

They say they have nothing but problems with Metz 880's.

At first I was leaning toward Metz 880's from what some of you said here. Then, the dealers Gold Wing expert told me of all the problems with the 880s. I know my D250's are crap and ride poorley.

I would love to hear from people with both the E3's and the Metzelers.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Don't know about the E3s but I've been running Metz 880s for the last 3 years and love them. None of them have ever wobbled and they stick like glue. Probably the reason I've never looked to try anything else.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I wold be a littel skeptical of this or any dealers tire advice. This is just the opposite of the advice I received just a few weeks ago when I inquired about tire availability. I specifically asked about the E3's and the dealer said he would highly recommend the Metz 880's over the E3's.

So who are you going to believe? I think it comes down to whomever they(the dealer) is getting the best tire deal from!!! JMO But I would bet on it!!

·
Registered
451 Posts
One more thing, when these @250's are shot, I am going to replace with the Avons. I put them on my "02 and they were the best performing tire for me.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
I had a set of E3 and really liked them, got 21000 miles on the front and still had some mileage left when I changed them. Had a slight dec wobble with the E3 but I think all brands have this problem with some of their tires. You may run 3 sets of Laps,Metz,Avon, or Stones and have a dec wobble out of one of them. Just the nature of the tire and the beast. Have Stones on now and they are good tire dealer did not have Laps when I changed

·
Registered
747 Posts
metzs
sometimes dealers will try to sell what they have the most of or whjat gives them the greater $ return. its his opinion, id go with the wingers opinions first.

·
lightley seasoned member
3,081 Posts
I have a Metzler on the front, and a E3 on the back. I would have had Metz front and rear if one had ben available when I had the flat. I have about 6k on the E3 and haven't had any problems as yet.

Have had good luck with the Metz in the past.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I had better luck with t he Metz over the E3, almost doubled the mileage and with less cupping

·
Registered
8,859 Posts
Dealer probably makes more money on E3's.

My money is on Metzlers. :D :D...... Love 'em.

later..Randy

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
I think the dealers have as many varied opinions as the people on the board.

I know one dealer in WI says the Stones are the best but pushes Metzler as well.

The other dealer I frequent says that Stones are the worst tire you can buy and will not sell them but would mount mine if I want.

As always all that you can do is try them. I personaly have had them all except the Stones and when the E 3's are done that I have now the ones I have in the basement will be next. It is not that I favor one so much over the other just happened to work out that way. I have had between the two 18's that I have owned - D250's, Metz(3sets), Avons(2sets) and e3's(2sets) and the Stones are waiting.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Geez, you guys really know how to make somebody feel good...

:wink: I got 12,200 miles on my OEM D250's and decided to get new tires yesterday because the 250's were a bit squirrely in wet weather with 1-3/32" of tread on both, depending upon where I measured.

I was at the Honda dealership for a small warranty fix and was concerned because I want to do more riding this year and we had just done a trip to western central PA over the weekend, noticing that the tires had become somewhat noisier. So, the question of buying tires now or later was being mostly answered by the timing of everything.

I spoke with the service manager, an honest guy with a ton of experience, asking what they had (or could get for me), even if I had to return in a week or so. He recommended the Metzeler right off the bat; they carry Metzeler (in stock), Avon (also in stock), and Dunlop (not available for a while). I decided to go with the Metzeler tires and be done with it. Before buying, I considered that one of my relatives works for Dunlop in Buffalo, NY - he actually makes motorcycle tires there. I am sure he will understand. :eek:

The first few miles were different, to say the least, probably due to the tires being new, my apprehension regarding new tires, and the inflation pressures of 45 and 45 PSI, as recommended by the Metzeler rep. After about ten miles, they really started to feel better, and by the time I arrived at home, they were pretty much broken in. I was told that the first 150-200 miles on the Metzelers should be on dry roads, in order that the release compound be totally scrubbed from the tread.

So far, there is no wobble, no noise, and great grip/ride/handling. I will post more on this with good and/or bad experiences in the future. As any brand of anything can and will provide good and bad experiences, it is my hope that these will be as good as so many people say they are..... time will tell.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
I used ME 880s for 50K miles, had one set that they replaced for the dreaded wobble (it was really bad, and were off in 50 miles) about 03, and never any problems with the other 5 sets of ME 880s I have run.

I then went to 70 series on both ends, ME 880s again, and other than wearing a little faster (10K on the rear), was really happy with the MEs.

But now I am playing with a set the Stones (G850/851), and like them as well as the 70 MEs - but cannot speak to the wet handling or wear factor yet. But they are available, and they work.

I am with Red on the E3s - don't like em because of the noise, but they wear good. They are just not my idea of a good rain tire.

I think Avons would also work if you are staying with the 60 series, but that is based on what I have heard, not what I experienced. They appear to have made them stay together.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Bridgestones G709 & G704 Tried all the others back to the Stones.
Best all around for me.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
WOW! :shock: Am I the only one here who likes Avons? :eek: I just put a set on my Wing yesterday. :D I've had the Venom R's on my VTX1800 Retro for over a year and they still look new and have the best grip of any tires I've ever run. 8) I have no reason to expect anything less from Avons on my Wing. :D

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Hello I put a set of new metz. on my wing before the sturgis solitary ride 2500 miles into a 7000 mile trip (went a little farther than sturgis :D :D :D ) the rear "lumped up/broke a belt/wobbled!!! It made it home but is SCARRY to look at!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...chuck...the number for metz I got off this board & ext # HANGS UP on me?????????????

1 - 20 of 24 Posts