GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm down to the wear bars on my Kumho and lookiing for my next CT. I was going to go with the Kumho again as I really like it but I was noticing a statement about it not being designed for below freezing temps. Anyone have thoughts on this or a recommendation for a good Run Flat CT for the winter months?

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I suppose a Dunlop Wintersport would suit the bill

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
Well, I'm down to the wear bars on my Kumho and lookiing for my next CT. I was going to go with the Kumho again as I really like it but I was noticing a statement about it not being designed for below freezing temps. Anyone have thoughts on this or a recommendation for a good Run Flat CT for the winter months?
I have ranthe Dunnie winter sport in the winter traction is great it's a195/55 going with Michelin alpine(same size) next because i ain't happy with Dunnie handling .Great wearing tire all though! I have ran Kumho hard in below freezing by the way it's sticks almost as well in summer. :thumbup: I had to push pretty hard to notice a difference.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Halfling, many have said in the past that the Kuhmo does just fine in the cold. I know that Rail32 has run one up in Wisconsin. You might want to try that Michelin Alpin PA3, it's a winter tire!:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I just took this one off the bike... Had really good run... I ran the pressure a lot higher then usual for a more spirited handling so didn't quite get the normal miles out of it but run it at 30 pounds and depending on your riding style you should get 15-20K... Cheers.... :doorag:

Winter 210 SnowSport RFT(Performance Winter/Snow)

Sidewall Style: Blackwall

Click thumbnails to view above. Most approximate photos shown View Full Screen Photo.

Set of 4: $532.00

Add To Cart Shipping Quote Add to Wish List

·
Registered
598 Posts
Halfling, many have said in the past that the Kuhmo does just fine in the cold. I know that Rail32 has run one up in Wisconsin. You might want to try that Michelin Alpin PA3, it's a winter tire!:thumbup:
The Michelin X-Ice that I run in the winter is very similar to the Primacy Alpin PA3 (but not the Latitude Alpin PA3) and it has done very well down to -22°F so far. Hope to see how well it does a little colder this winter - at least to -40°F if my cold weather riding gear does what I want it to do.

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
The Michelin X-Ice that I run in the winter is very similar to the Primacy Alpin PA3 (but not the Latitude Alpin PA3) and it has done very well down to -22°F so far. Hope to see how well it does a little colder this winter - at least to -40°F if my cold weather riding gear does what I want it to do.
-40 dude now that's real cold right there.:bow:

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Any of the "Winter" RFs in the 195-55 size will work well for you.

I've not tried the Pirelli, but I have the Wintersport Dunlop and the Michelin Primacy Alpin. Both work well.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Ya all worry too much.

Any CT is good at any temp. Do they make MC tires for different temps?

The main thing is if the temperature is at or below freezing watch for black ice, no tire will grip on that.

Sprinklers in town, water from springs on mountain roads, snow melt, ice, other than that any tire will grip well.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Looks like there needs to be a new TV show.
ICE ROAD BIKERS!

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Hey John, have you decided on a new tire yet?:shrug:

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sure did Mark, I was going to go with another Kumho but I couldn't find one at a price I wanted to pay so I thought I'd give another tire a test run this time. I went with the Pirelli Winter 210 SnowSport Run Flat 195/55R-16. It should be here before this weekend so I can get it installed before my trip up to Front Royal the first weekend in October.

Hey John, have you decided on a new tire yet?:shrug:

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
I suppose a Dunlop Wintersport would suit the bill
John, this is the one I'm trying when my Goodyear ultra-Grip blows up. (or wears out, which ever comes first :eek:)

I'm gonna try the 175-60X16. It's RF with almost the same circumference as the 195-55. Just a little narrower.
thecruiser

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got the Pirelli Winter 210 SnowSport Run Flat 195/55R-16 installed this weekend. It looks to be slightly wider than the Kumho and I had to lather it up with soapy water (both the tire and the plastic fender well) to get her in place but she went. No rubbing once she was bolted down. I'm running it at 32 PSI right now to get the feel of it but initial observation is "nice"!

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
Got the Pirelli Winter 210 SnowSport Run Flat 195/55R-16 installed this weekend. It looks to be slightly wider than the Kumho and I had to lather it up with soapy water (both the tire and the plastic fender well) to get her in place but she went. No rubbing once she was bolted down. I'm running it at 32 PSI right now to get the feel of it but initial observation is "nice"!
Good Luck with the Pirelli, John. Keep us up on how it performs for ya.

I'm still gonna try that Dunny Winter Sport in the 175-60R16 version. Like I said before, it's nearly the same circumference as a 175-55 but a little narrower. I run into Road Runner last month and I liked the way it looked on his bike.

There's some chatter here in Michigan about sales tax on internet sales soon. Better order that tire soon.
thecruiser

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
BTW, I forgot to mention that I got 16,135 miles out of the Kumho and could have gotten a bit more as it was just barely reaching the wear bars.

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
BTW, I forgot to mention that I got 16,135 miles out of the Kumho and could have gotten a bit more as it was just barely reaching the wear bars.
I have no idea on what the 'average' is on a Kuhmo but I'm still on my Goodyear Ultra Grip (no longer available) with a little over 25K and still not to the wear bars.

I do believe though that it's because there are more slab miles and fewer twisty miles.
thecruiser

1 - 20 of 24 Posts