GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed a tire for a friend on his 1500 last night, The tread had split in 3 places.

This morning I went back out to the barn to look at the tire, and the date code was 407796, I thought the date codes were only 4 digits.

Any ideas how old this tire is?

This is a Dunlop elite 2 K 491.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I changed a tire for a friend on his 1500 last night, The tread had split in 3 places.

This morning I went back out to the barn to look at the tire, and the date code was 407796, I thought the date codes were only 4 digits.

Sounds to me like you have the wrong number. The date code should be recessed and only have 4 numbers like you thought. Check the other side of the tire. Sometimes they like to hide behind a fender or something. :)

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Went back out and looked again, the number is branded in the tire right after the word DOT, nothing on the other side. :shrug::shrug:

·
Vendor
17,403 Posts
If it says DOT, that means it is hwy leagel for US roads. That also means that certain information is required to be branded into the sidwall of the tire. Branded means burnt in. Find the DOT number. The date code is usually near.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That 6 digit code is all that's there, (407796) and it's branded into the tire right after the DOT. I'm stumped.
I was told to just use the last 4 numbers, but there is not 77 weeks in a year.
Oh well, someone will come along with an answer.

·
Registered
8,255 Posts

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
Found various info on this, including some that said the date code was put inside the tires sometimes to "hide" the tire age from the consumer. Also found this: (NOTE-particular attention to the RED highlited section way below in this missive)

DOT codes are a 10 to 12 digit number located near the letters "DOT". BTW the digits can be numbers or letters.

The first 2 digits are a code for the manufacturing plant.

The next 2 digits are a code for the tire size.

The next 3 or 4 digits are a code for the type of tire.

The last 3 or 4 digits are the date code. The format is week/week/year/year or week/week/year.

Starting in the year 2000, the date coding used is 4 digits. That means the highest number you should see for the year is 08. Before 1999 the format was 3 digits. 1999 and 2000 are transition years, so you will find both 3 and 4 digits.

You should be aware that the DOT code only has to appear on one side of the tires and it is permitted to have a partial DOT code on the other.

So look on the other side of the tire for the full DOT code.

There are numerous other markings on a typical tire, these may include:
  • M+S, or M&S: Mud and Snow; all-weather tires, with above-average traction in muddy or very light snowy conditions, and for low ambient temperatures. Not a winter tire unless it has the snowflake and mountain symbol. Spike tires have an additional letter, "E" (M+SE).
  • BSW: Black SideWall
  • WSW: White SideWall
  • OWL: Outline White Lettering
  • E4: Tire approved according ECE-regulations, the number indicating the country of approval.
  • 030908: Approval number of the tire
  • DOT code: All tires for use in the USA have the DOT code, as required by the Department of Transportation (DOT). It specifies the company, factory, mold, batch, and date of production (2 digits for week of the year plus 2 digits for year; or 2 digits for week of the year plus 1 digit for year for tires made prior to 2000). Although not law, tire manufacturers do not suggest using a "new" tire that has been sitting on the shelf for more than 6 years.
  • TL: Tubeless
  • TT: Tube-type, tire must be used with an inner-tube
  • Made in ...: Country of production
  • C: Commercial; tires for light trucks (Example: 185 R14 C)
  • B: Bias belted; tires for motorcycles (Example: 150/70 B 17 69 H)—diagonal construction with belt added under the tread
  • SFI, or Inner: Side Facing Inwards; inside of asymmetric tires
  • SFO, or Outer: Side Facing Outwards; outside of asymmetric tires
  • TWI: Tread Wear Indicator; a device, such as a triangle or a small Michelin Man icon, located where the tread meets the sidewall. It indicates the location of the raised wear bars in between the tire tread channels.
  • SL: Standard Load; tire for normal usage and loads
  • XL: eXtra Load; tire for vehicles of heavier standard weights
  • RF: Reinforced tires
  • Arrows: Some tread designs are "directional", and designed to perform better when driven in a specific direction (clockwise or counter-clockwise). Such tires will have an arrow showing which way the tire should rotate when the vehicle is moving forwards. It is important not to put a "clockwise" tire on the left hand side of the car or a "counter-clockwise" tire on the right side.
  • M0: Original tires for Mercedes-Benz
  • N*: Original tires for Porsche
  • "Star": Original tires for BMW

·
Registered
3,349 Posts

Snap a pic and post.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll need to highlite the numbers so they'll show in a picture.
I'll give that a try later today.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Cool deal, reason I said that is I'm confused. The date code as I've seen it is not immediately after DOT. Usually there is something in-between DOT and the code. Here is a pic, one thing I noticed is a 6 digit number in front of DOT. That's not the date code. Another thing I noticed is the the date code is the only lettering on the tire that is not raised, it is indented like it is melted into the tire after it comes out the mold where all other numbers and lettering is part of the actual mold. Further confusing me with what you see. I'm just really curious now.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Maybe it's the original tire and is many years old :eek:4:

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maybe it's the original tire and is many years old :eek:4:
You know I thought of that, the bike is a 1997, but it has 54000 miles, so I believe tires have been replaced at least once, maybe with very old stock. :shrug:
And I think the 1500's came from the factory with Dunlop K177's.

·
Registered
201 Posts
the date code was 407796, I thought the date codes were only 4 digits.

7 month of 1996 from that number, that is an old tire but how long has the k491's been discontinued now

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1 - 17 of 17 Posts